Country Station Terminus

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikew0212

Country Station Terminus

Postby mikew0212 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Hello All,

After years of plotting, planning and scheming i have decided now is the time to actually start doing something. My long term plan is to build a layout in the loft in a large scale roundy round, however there is some building work to do before attempting to start such a grand project (installing skylight, insulation, building storage cupboards etc) so as a test project i have decided to build a modular scenic board with an open ended design to extend if i can manage to persuade the boss to let me have one of the kids rooms when i eventually evict them! :D

So, where to start?

I have looked around at many of the posts here along with various publications and having never attempted a 'proper' layout before other than a board on the table with two loops to run some stock before disassembling and putting away again, I have decided to start small and basic with options to extend in the future.

Having a couple of 4ft x 2ft boards that i can easily pop on the dining room table i played with some track and came up with what i thought would be a fairly basic arrangement for a country station terminal, with another board leading through a scenic tunnel to a fiddle yard. As mentioned, by leaving the ends 'basic' i then have the option of extending to another board in the future.

Once i had some track down i amended my first draft plan by adding two further points and deciding to have a first stab at putting in electric points and opted for the surface mounted Peco PL-11s as shown in the amended plan in blue.

I have progressed a bit further along now along but for the sake of tracking, I'll upload posts at what i thing are stages.

First post (proper) so I'll attempt to upload some photos...
Attachments
0.5 - Plans.JPG
0.8 - Amended Layout Plan.JPG
0.75 - First Layout Plan.JPG
Last edited by mikew0212 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikew0212

Re: Country Station Termius

Postby mikew0212 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Armed with a parts list, i headed off to the local model shop and bought my track. After deliberating, I decided to go for the PECO Code 100 Set Track due to A.) cost and B.) this may well be a temporary project and having only ever used Hornby track, wanted to move onto PECO after reading loads of positive reviews and comments.

Utilising my old trusty Hornby HM2000 (wouldn't think I'd need anything other than this at this stage), i decided to stick with DC as most of my stock is not DCC. In the longer term for the 'great loft project' I plan to build 3 loops with two of them being DCC and one being DC for older stock.

Feeling pleased with myself, I then ran a few test runs using a few 0-4-0's and adding some trucks. Got carried away with myself and spent the rest of the afternoon shunting around back and forth...

As ever, please do feel free to pitch in with comments, advice or general help. I'll be asking for plenty further along the line from you all!
Attachments
3 - Beginnings 3.jpg
2 - Beginnings 2.jpg
1 - Beginnings 1.jpg

mikew0212

Postby mikew0212 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm

Next up was deciding where I was going to place the platforms and whether i was going to build an island platform to complement the main platform. Having received a load of Metcalfe packs for Christmas a few years back, i decided to cut some templates out and have a play.

I finally opted to build a main platform 1 with accompanying station building and a separate island platforms 2 & 3 that could be connected by either a footbridge or subway.

My first time using template's and I would thoroughly recommend as it gave me lots of flexibility to trim, change and play around with the design while visualising space around the track.
Attachments
4 - Track Down 1.jpg
5 - Station Templates.jpg
6 - Tunnel & Signal.jpg

mikew0212

Postby mikew0212 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:48 pm

Next up was the building of the platforms using the Metcalf platform kit. Not being a 'natural' it bought back school memories of peeling glue off my fingers, cutting and sticking with maybe just a little cursing thrown in for good measure!

I have to say, it was a long days worth of work but for a first attempt at anything like this i was pretty pleased with the result.

Adding in an old Hornby station building to give some context (rest assured it didn't stay there long!) and to help with coach and truck clearance testing, finished everything off quite nicely.

Next step, the main platform...
Attachments
8 - First Platform.jpg
7 - First Platform.jpg
9 - First Platform.jpg

glencairn

Re: Country Station Terminus

Postby glencairn » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:02 pm

I am impressed. Looking forward to how this layout progresses.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

mikew0212

Postby mikew0212 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:13 pm

Thanks Glencairn. I've done a fair bit over the last month or so and suddenly thought it would be good to upload developments here for feedback, advice and to look back on!

So moving on i decided to change tack slightly and put the cork underlay down. Opting for a roll of standard cork that i can cut and shape to size, i thought i would put this down to help with aligning the platforms.

Using the tried and tested method of PVA, it went down far easier and cleaner than i could have hoped for!

In the same weekend, I finished off Platform 1. Again, Metcalfe in my opinion are brilliant kit's that even a beginner like me can get on with. A little bit of chopping and changing but again, I'm pleased with the results.

More testing clearances and running loco's and coaches around took up the rest of the weekend.

Next up, the main station building...
Attachments
12 - Both Platforms.jpg
13 - Both Platforms.jpg
10 - Both Platforms.jpg
11 - Both Platforms.jpg

mikew0212

Postby mikew0212 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:19 pm

This one intimidated me a little... Cracking open the piles of card templates, windows and instructions i have to say I sat and processed before attempting anything!

That said, once i got on and started piecing together i found my groove and again - am really pleased with how it ended up.

Using leftover platform pieces i have also made an extension for the station building to sit on so it doesn't take up too much space on the line facing platform. In the longer term, i have also bought some Ratio SR white fences that i will use to box in and tidy up the edging along with platform 'furniture' and plants etc...
Attachments
15 - Cutting Out.jpg
16 - First Building.jpg
17 - Finished Station.jpg
18 - Finished Station 2.jpg
19 - Checking Clearance.jpg

mikew0212

Postby mikew0212 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:24 pm

Honestly - this isn't an advert for Metcalfe!

I am filling in gaps, evenings and trying to keep momentum going by using things i have bought over the years so decided to plough on with my signal box and lineside buildings.

Again, couldn't have been more straightforward and although I keep saying it I'm pleased with the end product! (minus the chimney pot still to place on the lineside hut... :? )
Attachments
21 - Metcalfe Signal Box.jpg
22 - Additional Buildings.jpg
23 - Potential Placement.jpg
24 - Station View.jpg

mikew0212

Postby mikew0212 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:38 pm

So that is pretty much everything to date now.

Although... a work business trip last week had me up in the North West near Blackpool and so en-route I couldn't miss the opportunity of diverting off to the Hatton's shop in Widnes. Stuck in traffic and completely getting the opening times wrong (I thought they were open until 6pm!) I arrive at 4.40pm and had just 20 minutes shopping time!

Long enough to get some advice from the guys in there (were brilliant but clearly wanted to get out at 5pm on a Friday evening) and arming myself with all the kit needed for my points. 3 x PL-11 surface mounted motors, 3 x PL26R contact switches, a hand little housing for the switches in PL-27 and spare wires.

What did i forget to ask about? Not realising how tiny the holes are in the PL-11 i am now struggling to secure the motor to my board with my old stock of Hornby track pins. After searching around for advice, I have ordered some PL-14 fixing pins off of e-bay and am waiting for them to arrive...

In the meantime, i have handheld tested one of the motors against one of the points and all is good. However... When it comes to wiring up the three points i may need a little advice with a wiring diagram. I have found Brian Lambert's excellent website and have almost memorised the diagram for a single motor to my Hornby HM2000 uncontrolled AC outlet but am struggling to understand how to wire up the three motors into a single transformer.

I have purchased a PL-39 terminal block but am now doubting that this is right?

As i have said earlier, this is my first attempt at any sort of wiring! If anyone has a really simple way of explaining the process, I would appreciate some 'basic' help...

Many thanks,

Mike

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:51 pm

A great start Mike 8)

That tunnel mouth is way over scale (fireplace) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

mikew0212

Postby mikew0212 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Ha - thanks for spotting that - it's just a temporary item (old stock) that I've put there for effect until i decide how i want to model the board... That said, forced perspective? or is that pushing it a little...

Thanks for the encouragement! Onwards... :)

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:01 am

I think he we was referring to this tunnel mouth....
tunnel mouth.JPG
tunnel mouth.JPG (20.56 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”