CHINESE HO LAYOUT BASED IN THE UK

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TEAMYAKIMA

CHINESE HO LAYOUT BASED IN THE UK

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:07 pm

I like building different/unusual exhibition layouts and my latest is a 26ft x 10ft Chinese layout.

I believe this is the only large Chinese HO layout in the UK and it was recently videoed at the Warley exhibition. We had several operational problems at Warley and that's why you see the same train more often than I would like, but I think those issues have now been resolved and the layout will behave much better at its next show - Aly Paly in Late March 2020.

So please enjoy this video despite the layouts shortcomings - it will be better at Aly Paly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_El57wy8_c
Last edited by TEAMYAKIMA on Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michaelaface

Re: CHINESE HO LAYOUT VIDEO

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:30 pm

ahh I've been watching this layout grow on RMweb, absolutely fantastic work!

alexia30

Postby alexia30 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:58 am

Just Superb, Your design shows your hard work. Inspiration for us.
Whimsical Exhibits is a one-stop solution provider and the best exhibition stand design company in the Netherlands.
Visit: http://www.whimsicalexhibits.eu/

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am

The layout is set in 2004. All the scenes/operations seen on the layout were happening in China in 2004 - just not all in the same place.

There are three systems which for a brief period come together in the same location.

1. At the back of the layout is a 100% steam operated industrial railway linking a series of coal mines to a steelworks. To get to the steelworks trains have to climb a 1/30 gradient and so 11 coal cars require TWO bankers - 100% authentic, based on the industrial railway at Chengde.

2. A dieselised China Rail double track main line

3. In the foreground a new-build (1995) single track bi-directional regional railway (590 miles long) which originally was 100% steam powered using cheap s/h QJ 2-10-2's but now in 2004 diesels are about to take over. !00% authentic based on the Ji-Tong line in the Chinese province of Mongolia.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:33 pm

I saw this one at Warley! Certainly something I've never seen modelled and the 'modern steam' angle is always interesting.

I really like the attention to detail and cameo scenes in the low-relief buildings too- really sets the scene and adds a lot of interest between trains.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

TEAMYAKIMA

Re: CHINESE HO LAYOUT BASED IN THE UK

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 am

Have been working virtually 24/7 on the layout since Warley.

I have taken it to 4 shows in the last two years and never has the layout been as I would like it and so our next outing - at Aly Paly in 2 weeks - must be better in every way.

Improvements/changes since Warley

1. Completely new power box delivering twice the power for DCC and a DCC booster to ensure there are no cut outs with up to eight locos working at once
2. New inter-board connectors for more reliable power connections
3. Two new control panels to make life easier for the industrial line operators
4. New Faller roadway along the front for constant action.
5. New 18 car passenger train always with full interior detail but now fully lit - so you can see the detail.
6. New truck stop at the front of the layout which was previously a bit devoid of detail
7. Two new trains on the industrial for more variety
8. Completely new backscene as the previous grey one was not popular with some people
9. New display boards at the front to engage viewers
10. New video system to help operators at the back know what's going on at the front
11. More variety of trains on the China Rail lines

I could go on further, but come to Aly Paly and see the improvements for yourselves!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:31 pm

I saw the layout at Warley and must say if you had some gremlins they were well and truly sorted by the time I saw it. Great layout.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:20 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I saw the layout at Warley and must say if you had some gremlins they were well and truly sorted by the time I saw it. Great layout.

Which day did you go to Warley?

Saturday at Warley was our worst ever day at an exhibition - but after a major turnaround before opening time Sunday at Warley was our best ever day at an exhibition!

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:27 am

Since the Aly Paly show has been cancelled as well as RAILEX in May, my next show is not until December.

No show = no running = no incentive to do any thing.

My original concept was to have a very plain dark grey backscene - to represent 'the void' - any almost sci-fi concept of nothingness.

Now whilst some people got the idea, others found it dull and depressing. So it had to change!

I wanted to give the ideal of the pollution which hung over Chinese cities in the early days of their industrial expansion.

I was inspired (if that is the right word!) by this photo …………

The backscene behind the depot is nearly finished but it just drops a bit on the r/h side and you can see a pencil line where we need to slightly re-align it so that it is all level.

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 pm

I built a Faller roadway into the layout from day #1 but TBH never got it to run 100% reliably and 99% is just not good enough as we don't have a spare operator to monitor/manage it at exhibitions - it has to be 'fire and forget'! Consequently we have never used it at exhibitions.

Have been working on it now …………… look out for the little wiggle as it avoids the parked estate car,

https://youtu.be/-HzqN3XqFcY

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:54 am

I have been furloughed for 11 months now and been busier than ever on all sorts of hobby related issues including the layout.

There has been a lot of sole searching on how to improve engagement with the viewing public at exhibitions. In particular, my team and I have studied all know videos of the layout posted on YOUTUBE and been stunned at what people have chosen to concentrate on - one video taken at Bristol showed no steam locomotives at all - and the main theme of the layout is that it shows the last of everyday working steam!

So it has provoked a re-think on how we 'sell' the layout. Most importantly, we have back-dated the layout from 2004 to 2001 to allow us to run more steam-hauled freight trains and we have realised that pour tagline "REAL WORKING STEAN IN 2004!" means nothing to the average exhibition viewer and so we have changed it to "INDUSTRIAL CHINA IN THE 21st CENTURY"

We are also developing a pelmet to run the entire length of the layout. Whether we have lights in the pelmet is a separate issue under discussion with the group, but the pelmet itself will make a huge difference to how the layout is viewed at exhibitions.

Here is a recent photo of part of the scenic section .................

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:55 am

I have been furloughed for 11 months now and been busier than ever on all sorts of hobby related issues including the layout.

There has been a lot of sole searching on how to improve engagement with the viewing public at exhibitions. In particular, my team and I have studied all know videos of the layout posted on YOUTUBE and been stunned at what people have chosen to concentrate on - one video taken at Bristol showed no steam locomotives at all - and the main theme of the layout is that it shows the last of everyday working steam!

So it has provoked a re-think on how we 'sell' the layout. Most importantly, we have back-dated the layout from 2004 to 2001 to allow us to run more steam-hauled freight trains and we have realised that pour tagline "REAL WORKING STEAN IN 2004!" means nothing to the average exhibition viewer and so we have changed it to "INDUSTRIAL CHINA IN THE 21st CENTURY"

We are also developing a pelmet to run the entire length of the layout. Whether we have lights in the pelmet is a separate issue under discussion with the group, but the pelmet itself will make a huge difference to how the layout is viewed at exhibitions.

Here is a recent photo of part of the scenic section .................

ChrisGreaves

Postby ChrisGreaves » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:38 am

TEAMYAKIMA wrote:So it has provoked a re-think on how we 'sell' the layout.
Hello TeamYakima.
Your video sells the layout very well at the 3m07s mark of the video in your first post of this thread.
I absolutely love the three workers working, if that's correct, outside the wayside shed as we roll task.
The layout is an ambitious task, but that detail, when reproduced along the video, sells the layout, as far as I am concerned.
"We pay attention to the details of Real Life".
The 9m38s mark could be a real video of downtown Toronto, where I lived for six years.
Well done!
Cheers
Chris

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm

Hello Chris

Many thanks for your nice comments - very much appreciated.

Those workers - yes, having a team meeting. All native Chinese figures are Preiser HO European ones who have been converted to being Chinese. This means .............

Hair painted black
Skin colours changed to deserts sand

But most importantly, I cut their feet off, remove approx 1.5mm - 2mm from their legs and then glue their feet back on. I then use an X-acto saw between their legs to raise their crotch to make the leg/body ratio more realistic.

TBH I'm a bit embarrassed by that video now. So much has changed on the layout since that video was taken at Warley 2019 that when the layout is shown next (POOLE October 17th 2021) it will virtually be a 'mark 2' version of what you see in that video.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”