Diesels at Crown Point and Sovereign St.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: Diesels at Crown Point and Sovereign St.

Postby glencairn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:50 pm

Class 47 47423 Sceptre caught in the sunshine.

IMG_5236.JPG

Class 47 47593 Galloway princess with a cattle train passing Sovereign Street Station

IMG_5228.JPG

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Love the Consett Iron Ore wagons. Do you have the unloading bridge?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 am

I remember those Commer vans. I think the earlier ones may also have been badged "Bedford?" An elderly man I know told me that when he first was working (So it was in the 1950's as he is in his mid to late 80's?) said that there were at lwast six of them in the back of the van, and they had to take that mny workforce as when the van came to the steeper hills, they would all have to get out and push to get the van up the hill. He said that it wasn't until the days of the Transit vans that they were able to all travel in the vans ad et up the hills, as the other vans would not make it.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:17 am

GeraldH wrote:Love the Consett Iron Ore wagons. Do you have the unloading bridge?

Hi GeraldH. The Consett Iron Co wagons do not fit in with the area I am modelling. I run them 'whenever I have ten minutes of running anything'.

The reason for having them is purely a family connection. Very close members of the family were in Management there. I have film of 9Fs top and tail with a few wagons on their way from Tyne Dock to Consett.

Mountain wrote:I remember those Commer vans ---.

Lovely story, Mountain. Thanks for sharing.
I did see them when I worked in the Postal Service, but never had any involvement with them.

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm

I ran some trains yesterday.

Class 52 D1013 Western Ranger has permission to proceed to Crown Point Yard.

IMG_5238.JPG

Class 47 47517 Andrew Carnegie on its way to Crown Point Yard. Matt Summers watches. His tidying up of the garden after the strong winds is taking some time to do.

IMG_5239.JPG

The running of a Steam Special.

An unusual taking of a picture from Charlie Marston's Yard. LMS locomotive 5699 Galatea caught in the afternoon sun.

IMG_5250.JPG

The real Galatea's final 'stomping ground' as a LMS locomotive was around Leeds.
Here, the model is just seen from the control area.

IMG_5256.JPG

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:34 pm

I have been painting figures etc. I am deciding where to put them.

Meanwhile two pictures from a recent running session.

Class 47 47517 Andrew Carnegie on a diverted Leeds Central to Edinburgh Pullman service at a witry Leeds Sovereign Street Station.

IMG_5257.JPG

and passing Charlie Marston's Yard.

IMG_5258.JPG

New purchase. Class 50 50036 Victorious on a test run - successfully. (Thanks Mountain)

IMG_5261.JPG

and 'on shed'.

IMG_5262.JPG

Glencairn

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:59 pm

Mountain wrote:I remember those Commer vans. I think the earlier ones may also have been badged "Bedford?"

I remember the Commers, they were only 1500cc which even with todays engines would be a little on the small size given the size of the body. The equivalent Bedford was the CA, which went on to CB,CC etc, It was a different layout having a small squarish full width bonnet which protruded below the windscreen. The Commer was a forward control layout with the footwellls ahead of the front wheels and the engine compartment under a hump between the seats. You had to understand them when it came to cornering, for a left you didn't start turning until your seat reached the kerb line of the side road otherwise the back wheels took a short cut across the pavement, for a right turn you had to be past the centre line. The GPO though they knew better than the makers and throttled the engine by reducing the aperture in the intake manifold, so they clagged up pretty quickly. The cure was a small coke bottle filled with Redex, well away from habitation the passenger pulled up the engine cover, the driver revved like hell and then the Redex went down the carburettor. The engine would scream and cough for a thirty seconds or so and a huge cloud of clag came out of the exhaust. Instant decoke! Plus a clackfest not seen again until the Class 47 was introduced.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 pm

I am glad you like it. Those 50's are impressive. :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:26 pm

Bufferstop wrote:
Mountain wrote:I remember those Commer vans. I think the earlier ones may also have been badged "Bedford?"

I remember the Commers, they were only 1500cc which even with todays engines would be a little on the small size given the size of the body. The equivalent Bedford was the CA, which went on to CB,CC etc, It was a different layout having a small squarish full width bonnet which protruded below the windscreen. The Commer was a forward control layout with the footwellls ahead of the front wheels and the engine compartment under a hump between the seats. You had to understand them when it came to cornering, for a left you didn't start turning until your seat reached the kerb line of the side road otherwise the back wheels took a short cut across the pavement, for a right turn you had to be past the centre line. The GPO though they knew better than the makers and throttled the engine by reducing the aperture in the intake manifold, so they clagged up pretty quickly. The cure was a small coke bottle filled with Redex, well away from habitation the passenger pulled up the engine cover, the driver revved like hell and then the Redex went down the carburettor. The engine would scream and cough for a thirty seconds or so and a huge cloud of clag came out of the exhaust. Instant decoke! Plus a clackfest not seen again until the Class 47 was introduced.

I had an interesting vehicle for a few years. A Bedford Bambi. It was like a sail in windy conditions and one could esily go up on 2 wheels around roundabouts, but it was strange in that though it went up on 2 wheels, it was completely controllable so one didn't mind too much if it happened. Breaking was done by the engine which though it was just 970cc, it had quite a pull back. Yes, it had brakes and though the brakes were not that great, one did not want them to be as I once in slow moving traffic was not paying attention as I was creeping forward so I had to slm on. The car behind was very close and I saw the cab lower and I heard a wierd bang. I thought the car behind had hit me, and he then drove with a big gap after the bang, but I could see the rear door and easily see the rear edges through its large mirrors and nothing looked distorted. I realized what had happened and why the cab lunged down. The back wheels had gone up in the air with the heavy braking and the bang was them coming back down!
I could do wheelspins and slide the back out with the Bambi! (I actually did not intend to but as I had to pull away quick to get into traffic from a side road, I let her drift while spinning). A guy who saw me do it who was on the pavement.. His face! His mouth was open wide!

A great little vehicle but crampt to drive (So one would not like to drive more then 50 miles before one needed to walk around) and I would not want to take it out in the winter windy conditions so it is a second vehicle rather then ones primary means of transport, and one can't go in most carparks as it is too tall. Tardis like in the back though which one would not think it would be from the outside.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:22 pm

On Monday I received an email from my model shop that some 40mm Bofors guns had arrived and was I still interested in them. I duly paid for them and they arrived Wednesday. Here they are on their first trip around the layout on Lomac vehicles, Class 47 47404 Hadrian in charge.

IMG_5264.JPG

A simple scene.

Margaret Griffiths and her daughter, Sally in the garden

IMG_5267.JPG

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon May 03, 2021 5:54 pm

A misty, almost rainy day as Class 25 25218 on the Leeds Central to York local waits at the signal.

IMG_5279.JPG

And near the junction. Is the mist clearing?

IMG_5280.JPG

The same train near Canal Corner. A shaft of sunlight?

IMG_5285.JPG

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat May 08, 2021 11:11 am

The Clarence Dock section of the layout has always been run with steam engines. The past couple of days I tried running diesel locomotives.

The first run with Class 25 25237.

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

Then Class 27 27037 decided to join in.

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5301.JPG

The little platform is from an old diorama I did some time back. It needs some TLC.

Now I know I can run diesels at Clarence Dock successfully I shall factor them in to the timetable.

Glencairn

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat May 08, 2021 12:08 pm

glencairn wrote:
IMG_5298.JPG

Glencairn

I do like that one in particular. (The second one down seeing as it hasn't come up!)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”