Michaela's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Michaelaface

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:50 am

Mountain wrote:It is a balancing act. I used to fill every available space with track and then discovered that I had no room whatsoever for signals!

oh theres still plenty of room for them and other scenery, the track plan is inspired by the stations within central Manchester, raised above road level, with loads of track crammed in everywhere, with the station area here I was thinking a kinda hybrid between manchester victoria and manchester oxford road, it probably looks a bit cramped because theres a whole bunch of tools and other crap on what'll be a scenic area, plus due to where the roof beams are, I only intend to model the front of the station so the sharp curve of the mainline will be obscured from view

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue May 26, 2020 1:31 am

so progressed stalled (as usual with my layout) because I was having an absolute nightmare trying to get the backscene boards to fit in this bloody awkward loft space, this combined with a few parts of my track plan that just weren't sitting right to me, I've decided to rebuild the scenic side of the layout

so first I've built a frame all around the scenic side of the layout and securely attached all the backscenes and as for the track plan I've managed to copy the layout of the station that gave me the inspiration in the first place, so it may look a bit weird, but its copied from pictures and os survey maps (not saying which one because its not going to be a model of that station, it just does all the things I want to do)

and a bit crude but I thought I'd try to plan out an idea for where roads/buildings etc could go

10 points to anyone who can guess the prototype

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:26 pm

Blimey, you don’t mess around do you?! You’ve made a great start and I like the track plan. The new station plan is also very impressive. The new framework looks like it will give you some nice long curves.

As mentioned by some others, the fiddle yard is brilliant. You can never have too much storage. It’s the one thing I wish I’d added more of, as it’s on the bottom layer under my station. Oh well.

I’m more of a recycle and re-use modeller too. I have points that are on their third outing and most were second hand when I got them. They should be good for years if they’re looked after and compared to new, it was a no brainier for me.

Some nice work, keep it up. Following with interest.

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

bulleidboy

Postby bulleidboy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 pm

That's all looking very good. The framework looks as though it will last forever! Nice track-plan. Look forward to seeing how it progresses. BB

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:56 pm

dan8400 wrote:Blimey, you don’t mess around do you?!

:lol: :lol: mess around is pretty much all I've ended up doing this past decade, but thank you, I feel more confident about this incarnation, as being able to work to a prototypical track plan no longer gives me that annoying feeling that the track isnt quite right in some way, combined with getting the backscenes up I can actually see how it will all come together

bulleidboy wrote:That's all looking very good. The framework looks as though it will last forever! Nice track-plan. Look forward to seeing how it progresses. BB

I mean there are large sections of the frame work that were part of my initial layout build 10 years ago :lol:

but thank you all, I'll try hard to keep progress and updates going

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm

This is looking promising Michaela. There's always a sense of satisfaction when real boards and track fill out the space how you envisaged they would. The track plan looks like it flows nicely through the curve and should give plenty of operational potential.

You've got a good open loft space too- damn roof trusses get everywhere in a modern house!
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:59 am

quick update, made a quick video to show some of my DCC sound locos, but it shows where I'm up to so far with the layout, will need to find a better camera though, my phone seems to hate staying in focus

https://youtu.be/ZkM8R7LYmVA

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 am

Looks great. Sounds are good and the long sweeping curves are brilliant

The camera shot between the buildings is very effective. What buildings are they? Kits or scratch built? Nice either way

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am

That's a lovely "clickety-click" over the points around about 50 to 53 seconds in.

The J11 sounds get my vote.

Nobody's gone for any points yet as to your prototype location - how near or far would Failsworth be?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:50 am

Ex-Pat wrote:
Nobody's gone for any points yet as to your prototype location - how near or far would Failsworth be?

or 'Up on the Moors' in Lanky territory.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:02 pm

dan8400 wrote:Looks great. Sounds are good and the long sweeping curves are brilliant

The camera shot between the buildings is very effective. What buildings are they? Kits or scratch built? Nice either way

Thanks
Dan

Thank you, if you mean the big town houses, those are faller kits that I've repainted to look a bit more British, the Yorkshire stone ones are scratch builds

Ex-Pat wrote:That's a lovely "clickety-click" over the points around about 50 to 53 seconds in.

The J11 sounds get my vote.

Not too far but the opposite direction, just realised I forgot to explain how I want to run the layout which might clear it up, so I wanted a through station kinda deal, near a large terminus, so I can have long express trains passing and stopping local trains, I also wanted it to be a terminus for a local suburban network of push pull trains and when my skills are good enough an Emus, so I can automate a shuttle service

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Great video - love the long trains and sound of course :D. I never got into sound myself - and now that I am fitting stay-alive's into my (small!) locos, there is little room for anything else :?

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:17 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Great video - love the long trains and sound of course :D. I never got into sound myself - and now that I am fitting stay-alive's into my (small!) locos, there is little room for anything else :?

How big are the locos? I've seen people get sound and lights into loads of n gauge stuff

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:26 pm

Michaelaface wrote:How big are the locos? I've seen people get sound and lights into loads of n gauge stuff

I've moved on from N to O-16.5 now, so although the scale is large, the little narrow gauge locos aren't! Having said that, my latest loco (my first attempt at a scratch-built body) probably did have space for a sound chip! Mind you, the noise of the mechanism would probably drown it out - and not sure if I'd be able to find one suitable for a steam tram :?

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:16 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:I've moved on from N to O-16.5 now, so although the scale is large, the little narrow gauge locos aren't! Having said that, my latest loco (my first attempt at a scratch-built body) probably did have space for a sound chip! Mind you, the noise of the mechanism would probably drown it out - and not sure if I'd be able to find one suitable for a steam tram :?

that is some excellent work! I'm not sure how much space you have to work with there, but when I initially put sound in my jinty, i had the decoder and the speaker both tucked inside the smokebox, took up barely any space, it did sacrifice the sound quality somewhat though, but it is possible

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”