Michaela's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4684
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Mountain » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:40 pm

I would imagine that some of Bachmanns older models built before they started to add DCC sockets did not have much space. Example, there is only just enough room to hard wire a simple Lenz N gauge decoder which happened to be the smallest on the market at the time, and this was with a 00 gauge loco. (I did not actually get round to fitting it. It was the only decoder on the market at that time that would fit inside it though).
You did well to get sound in a Jinty.

Yes. 7mm narrow gauge locos may look large, but... Well. Cramming in a motor and gears can be hard enough to find space at times. I can't imagine how 009 enthusiasts get things to fit!

User avatar
Michaelaface
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:51 am

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 pm

Mountain wrote:I would imagine that some of Bachmanns older models built before they started to add DCC sockets did not have much space. Example, there is only just enough room to hard wire a simple Lenz N gauge decoder which happened to be the smallest on the market at the time, and this was with a 00 gauge loco. (I did not actually get round to fitting it. It was the only decoder on the market at that time that would fit inside it though).
You did well to get sound in a Jinty.

Yes. 7mm narrow gauge locos may look large, but... Well. Cramming in a motor and gears can be hard enough to find space at times. I can't imagine how 009 enthusiasts get things to fit!


the jinty seems fairly well designed for interior space, aside from the decoder socket placement, the only bachmann loco I have that wasnt DCC ready is my pannier tank, but that wasn't too much of an issue, as far as I remember my bachmann 56xx had almost no room for the decoder when I installed it

Dad-1
Posts: 6489
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Dorset - A mile from West Bay.

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:27 am

Michaela,

I've said it before, you should live down here on the Dorset coast. I could give you several
sound fitting jobs, and a few of those stone cottages wouldn't come amiss.
I've got lazy and don't comment much nowadays, but you've been doing some cracking
stuff.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

User avatar
Michaelaface
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:51 am

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Michaelaface » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:06 am

Dad-1 wrote:Michaela,

I've said it before, you should live down here on the Dorset coast. I could give you several
sound fitting jobs, and a few of those stone cottages wouldn't come amiss.
I've got lazy and don't comment much nowadays, but you've been doing some cracking
stuff.

Geoff T.


aha thank you, although in regards to the sound fitting, it was my discovery of the installation guides on the youchoos website that drove that forward, I looked through almost all of them and just thought "I can do that" and even though it was a right pain at times, I kinda really enjoyed fitting all those extras to the jinty, I had thought about maybe going down the route of offering some kind of DCC sound fitting/modifying/weathering loco service, just need to practice more and prove I can do it well

your buildings are still much better than mine, if you saw my latest youtube video, a lot of those camera angles hide where my buildings are warping/falling apart, when I get back into building them, I'll really need to take time and care to how they go together

Dad-1
Posts: 6489
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Dorset - A mile from West Bay.

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:25 am

Hi Michaela,

Chosen photo angles - it's all part of show business. Creating the illusion, isn't that what sound is about as well ?
Anyway I've seen your quality & confidence grow, all from what I suppose is experience. Only an idiot expects
perfection from their first attempt. I suppose if you don't learn something from each project your not paying
attention !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

User avatar
Michaelaface
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:51 am

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 am

hello forum, long time no speak

and in that time I've made some progress on the layout, this video gives a quick preview of what I've been up to before I've gotten a proper post ready

https://youtu.be/mz6MQ_j9sy4

User avatar
Ironduke
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:04 am
Location: Ballarat Victoria Australia
Contact:

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Ironduke » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:05 am

hi Michaela

How did you get the camera to stay on the loco at 2.20? Is it a special camera?
Regards
Rob

User avatar
PinkNosedPenguin
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:23 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:25 am

Great video, and great layout :D. Nice to see decent length trains snaking passed each other on high level tracks.
I loved the 'through the (signal box?) windows' section 8)
P.S. what are those grey (1:1 scale) things wedged above the chimney breast? :wink:

User avatar
Michaelaface
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:51 am

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:12 am

Ironduke wrote:hi Michaela

How did you get the camera to stay on the loco at 2.20? Is it a special camera?


It's just a gopro balanced on the tender, got a bit lucky that it actually worked tbh, need to find a more sophisticated way of doing it!

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Great video, and great layout :D. Nice to see decent length trains snaking passed each other on high level tracks.
I loved the 'through the (signal box?) windows' section 8)
P.S. what are those grey (1:1 scale) things wedged above the chimney breast? :wink:


I bought some cheap storage drawers to try to keep the layout tidy, lost patience with part of one, and er stored its carcass out of the way...

Ex-Pat
Posts: 2070
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm
Location: Dundalk Ireland

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:01 pm

My heart sank at first as I thought you were going to report an "end of the line"!

Not often we see load 10 - can the A4 also manage that Britannia load?

My favourite bit is going over the bridge between 3mins 25 and 3 mins 47.


Looking forward to more.

User avatar
glencairn
Posts: 4315
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Both sides of the Border

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby glencairn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Good to hear from you, Michaela.

Like Ex-Pat I like the bridge scene.

Stay in touch.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

User avatar
Stainsacre
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 am

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Stainsacre » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:11 pm

I agree, the shot looking up between the buildings with the train crossing the bridge is a great angle.

It all looks very different from the first video on channel.

Dad-1
Posts: 6489
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Dorset - A mile from West Bay.

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:29 pm

Cracking Work !!
That was worth waiting for.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

User avatar
Eastern
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:21 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: Michaela's Layout

Postby Eastern » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Great video! You have really captured the DCC sound well - It also looks a great layout to run full length trains. Hopefully we'll see more!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

__________________________

Charles[/color]


Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests