What was your first model train?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Phat Controller

Re: What was your first model train?

Postby Phat Controller » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:19 pm

My Dad came home with a oval loop of track and 2 x Class 08 0-6-0 Diesels. Green for me and Black for my brother. I was the only one that used them, my brother preferred slot cars, so I made the loco's my own. Then I received an American 2-6-0 & tender with a yellow cattle wagon and a red "caboose" which I didn't particularly like. All the wagons & Loco's were wrecked by my older "priviledged" cousin who smashed them to pieces by running them off the table - "for fun" , I never got another "train set" until 2006.
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

rb277170

Postby rb277170 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:24 pm

Tri-ang Hornby Freightmaster trainset with Brush Type 2 (class 31) from 1965. I still have her but she’s been through repainting into BR Blue and then Railfreight red stripe. I got a replacement green 31 so I can re create the set . The start of 54 years of an interest in model railways . I still get a thrill opening a red and yellow box :D

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:40 pm

b308 wrote:This one I suspect. For those interested in early Triang this site is worth a look, especially for nostalgia trips!

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/rpdset.html

That is indeed the set. Thanks for the link ... and the memory. 8)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:43 am

My very first clockwork set was from a company called Chad Valley, about who I never heard any mention. It was only half a century later that searching for the remnants of the Harbourn line that I found the Chad Valley viaduct hidden amongst trees in an urban woodland and next to it a repurposed old factory with the legend "Chad Valley Works" cut in the stonework of the front wall.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:53 am

Bufferstop wrote:My very first clockwork set was from a company called Chad Valley, about who I never heard any mention. It was only half a century later that searching for the remnants of the Harbourn line that I found the Chad Valley viaduct hidden amongst trees in an urban woodland and next to it a repurposed old factory with the legend "Chad Valley Works" cut in the stonework of the front wall.

My first train set, but not model train, was a red plastic locomotive with open cab and no tender, think it had a yellow dome and blue wheels and red track and had two open wagons, I used to play with it on the landing in the first house I lived in in East Tilbury, and I'm convinced it was made by chad valley.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:47 pm

They've been around for over a century, funnily enough they were taken over by Palitoy (Mainline trains) at one point!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:03 pm

I'd seen dozens of photos of the terminus of the Harbourn branch and a good few layouts based on it, but nothing that remotely suggested it was at the end of a viaduct, but still managed to be in a cutting. I doubled back down a snicket, alley, or whatever they call them in your neck o't' woods and discovered the flight of steps that led up from the middle of the platform. I remember many Chad Valley products from my childhood, all very different, they must have turned their hand to whatever toy was currently most popular. Their 0 gauge track would just about join up with Hornby tinplate but the radius was much smaller so the trackplan of my upstairs corridor line was seriously curtailed when I got a genuine Hornby loco as the Chad Valley track threw it off at every curve..

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:07 pm

To be perfectly honest all I can vaguely remember was a wind up loco on a circle of track, but that must have been at least 70 years ago,

The current OO/OO9 layout started with a Hornby R674 Midnight Freight train set, a Christmas present for my son in 1990 a layout that has been in 3 different rooms and many different guises
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:41 pm

I had a Hornby clockwork Thomas when I was 3. Dad put its oval of track on a bit of plywood and donated a couple of old Triang wagons to go with Annie and Clarabel. Still got Thomas somewhere.

Next was the first electric model- one of the many variants of Hornby's GWR 101. Since repainted into BR black and still hanging around!
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:32 am

In 1976 aged 4, I had the Hornby clockwork set, with the continental style tank engine, 2 basic looking open wagons and a shell tank wagon.
The track was a radius one oval which was completely made of plastic, including the rails. There was also a level crossing in red plastic and 2 Minix cars, a Anglia and a Austin 1100. The best thing about this set was the illustration on the box. It had a fair amount of use but was never the same after the brittle track had been trod on a few times.
That was it until 1981, when I became properly interested in railways. I received a Airfix 4F for my Birthday, but I had to wait until Christmas for a oval of Peco flexi track pinned to a board, a H&M clipper transformer which still works and 4 Airfix GMR wagons.
Ken

ackers5861

Postby ackers5861 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:49 am

Technically my first train set and model train, bought for me when I was about 7. Box is in tatters but i've still kept the 225 set, although it's been currently left at my club.

IMG_20191228_175005.jpg

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:15 am

Like others I don't remember many details of my clockwork trains, but one impression remains very clear, the superior mat finish of the Hornby loco, compared to the glossy printing on the cheaper tinplate toys.

[Edit] For anyone interested or who might come across one in a bootsale, the paintwork on the Hornby 0 gauge loco's was "stove enamelled" which was a far superior finish to the colour printing on many tinplate toys. It was good enough to go on the boilers of live steamers so was definitely high spec for a clockwork model.

railsquid

Postby railsquid » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:58 am

Alexander Court wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:My very first clockwork set was from a company called Chad Valley, about who I never heard any mention. It was only half a century later that searching for the remnants of the Harbourn line that I found the Chad Valley viaduct hidden amongst trees in an urban woodland and next to it a repurposed old factory with the legend "Chad Valley Works" cut in the stonework of the front wall.

My first train set, but not model train, was a red plastic locomotive with open cab and no tender, think it had a yellow dome and blue wheels and red track and had two open wagons, I used to play with it on the landing in the first house I lived in in East Tilbury, and I'm convinced it was made by chad valley.

I still have a Chad Valley globe, probably made in the 1970s (it still has "Rhodesia" on it), Hilariously crude, but robust and has recently served Railsquid Junior first as a brightly-coloured spinning toy, and now as a simple way of explaining the world.

My first model train was this:

lima-class-33-view by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Christmas 1976, I think, Came with some wagons, some of which I still have too.

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:14 am

Remarkable memories, one and all.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”