What was your first model train?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

What was your first model train?

Postby Chops » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:41 pm

Year? Scale? Brand? Was available space a consideration? What influenced you as you progressed as in a place or time?

As to myself, it was a wind up Wrenn in 1966 in Shiplake, England. We were following Dad around the world in his
academic career. I was enamored of thing, and somehow managed to retain the original Robertson's Currant Jam
wagon over many tens of thousands of miles and decades, and run it whenever possible. Over the last decade, thanks
to internet, I've reconstructed what I remember of it, Golliwog and all.

https://youtu.be/iZel38A182E
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Ironduke

Re: What was your first model train?

Postby Ironduke » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:43 pm

Whats the weather like in El Paso this time of year?
My first train was given to me by my father for Christmas when I was 12 (1977). It was a collection of American N scale trains. I can only remember there was a hi-cube, red, Burlington box car and a UP GP40 diesel loco. I built a layout on a 5'x3' 50s laminex kitchen table I bought at a fete for $10.
Sorry no photos. I did take some but they are long gone. It's hard to believe we used to have to get photos developed and then keep them in a box somewhere.
Regards
Rob

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:03 am

I had a clockwork percy, the one with the weird orange plastic track, and I must've been about 4/5, I still have the track and wagons but not long after getting it the loco was accidentally left outside one rainy night and the mechanism rusted

My first real model train was a Hornby Flying Scotsman trainset I got for Christmas in 1995, I still have it but it needs a bit of work to get running properly again

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:00 am

Early 50s Triang Princess Elizabeth and two coaches ,battery powered control box, No base board so it had to be put together on the rug every time. Followed by a 0-6-0 tank engine and wagons as pocket money allowed. Happy times!
Tim
aka Forfarian

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:40 am

Triang Snow Rescue set... Early 60s.

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:18 am

I am not sure as my memory say it was a Diesel Dock Shunter set in late 60's.

BUT! I have never been able to trace such a set.....
Never enough time...........

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:11 am

1951 or 52? - Hornby Green clockwork locomotive with three trucks and oval of track. Followed shortly by a red clockwork loco, a point and track to make a siding.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:42 am

December 25th. 1960. I was 8 years old. I went into what we called 'the front room' at home on Christamas morning to find an oval of Hornby Dublo 3 rail track and a siding on an 8x4 baseboard. On the track was a tank engine. I can't remember which one it was, only that it was BR black along with a maroon coach, 2 coal wagons, a van, an oil tanker and guard's van. It was second hand but got me interested in railway modelling. Over the next 5 years or so I expanded the trackwork and added some buildings and a few more items of rolling stock. That engine ran for hours and must have done hundreds of trips over that oval before in my mid teens other things took my interests in different directions. Yes, girls, football, cars etc. It wasn't till the mid/late 80s my interest in modelling was rekindled and the first version of PETERSDALE began to grow. Unfortunately I have no memory of where the 3 rail layout went.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:53 pm

My dad had some trains before I was born, and my brother and I shared some fairly knackered clockwork Thomas and Percy models from hornby. My first proper electric model train was from the trainset I got on my 6th birthday. I got the Hornby 00 gauge 'Country Local' set with a Highland Railway blue 0f 0-4-0st 'Ben-Y-Gloe' and three lovely bright red coaches, the loco has had replacement chassis and motors over the year but still has the correct coloured wheels which it started with, a kind of burgundy colour. I used to have it set up on the rear side of the road mat my brother and I had which was a slightly rough, pale yellow rubber surface. I still have the locomotive and coaches, I must get some photos or video or both of them running on my latest layout project.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Hello all
I can not remember a time when I didnt have a train of some kind. Ive had a few firsts over the years. The very first was a Playcraft Clockwork 0-4-0 and some wagons HO scale. When the spring inevitably broke I all ready had a Black 0-4-0 battery powered Lego loco with a coach and a couple of wagons, blue rails too. I managed to acquire a fair bit of trackwork for this. Then when I was 7 or 8 I was given a Triang Hornby Princess Elizabeth set and a Jinty for Christmas. Unfortunely I no longer have the Princess but the Jinty and carriages survive. When I was 16 I was given the Mamod trainset for Christmas this I still have. My final first was when I was 20 and I was given a Silver King a N2 and a few other bits and pieces. That was the start of my interest in Hornby Dublo.

Montfort2

Postby Montfort2 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:09 am

Many many moons ago, I got this little 0-4-0 Jouef steam loco (a christmas gift I guess). It's not the photo of my own loco because I lost it or maybe I destroyed it... :oops:

JOUEF 020 C.jpg
JOUEF 020 C.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 274 times

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 am

Tom@Crewe wrote:I am not sure as my memory say it was a Diesel Dock Shunter set in late 60's.

BUT! I have never been able to trace such a set.....

The snow rescue set used the Dock Shunter, in red. There was also:

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/rs31.html

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/CansetN.html

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:35 am

I had various toy trains in my early childhood, including a diecast 0-6-0T (possibly Budgie or Lone Star?), but the one that really started me off came when I was nine. I was given a Triang primary series train set, with an oval of Series 3 track, a maroon steeple cab 0-4-0 electric loco (with plastic pantograph) and three wagons (a green van with grey roof and two grey open wagons, all to a rather French style). I was also given a transformer controller to work it all with.

That underwent almost continuous development and redevelopment, including a move to Australia when I was 10, going on 11. There is absolutely nothing left of the original set now, but it is still a development of the original! :D
Last edited by SRman on Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:09 am

This one I suspect. For those interested in early Triang this site is worth a look, especially for nostalgia trips!

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/rpdset.html

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 am

Two Hornby O gauge clockwork 0-4-0 tank locos, one labelled LMS, the other LNER, very second hand, but to a 3 Yr old mad about trains, priceless!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”