Beaglington-On-Sea 00 gauge in 6ft by 4ft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Raboliot

Re: Beaglington-On-Sea 00 gauge in 6ft by 4ft

Post by Raboliot »

Nice pics. Without the mist, your layout is wonderful. :D :D :D
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Alexander Court wrote: My apologies! It's just a good thing that I don't like fruit!

Alex.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

Fences!

Time for another update that I have been putting off forever. I decided to sort out the fences around the village green and so I tool them outside in a cardboard box and spray painted them brown and then glued grass scatter to the bases.

Then I set about the process of prepping the layout for installation of the fencing which involved removing all loose detail and hoovering/dusting the whole thing as it needed it rather badly, the cat leaves dust and hair everywhere, especially when he sneaks for a nap on the village green, hopefully the fences will keep him out! This is how it looks all tidy and clean.

So after mapping out where the fences would go I started to glue them in place and dust over the glue with a little more scatter too to blend the bases into the grass as best I could.

I also used some small offcuts to fence off the beer garden on one side and added a gate on the other side.

Ok ok, admittedly it won't be keeping much out of the beer garden for now, but give it time!

As you can see in the back of this photo, the orchard and the bee hives (inspired by Thomas The Tank Engine's 'Buzz Buzz') have been added to the village green/Trevor's field, now that the area is secure.

Maybe the brewery could BRANCH into Cider with these trees nearby xD

And here is the layout repopulated:

Peep! Peep! Says Trevor

Rear shots from the operating perspective:

So, that big load of photos is finally posted, hope you think it looks reasonably good, the fences are still standing now so that's good haha.

Thanks,

Alexander.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Alexander Court wrote:

Rear shots from the operating perspective:

Alexander.
At first glance I thought you'd put a stretch of river in at the bottom!

Fencing looks good.
Alexander Court

Hello all, its been two months since I really posted anything, I've taken many pictures but my progress updates are so far behind I just couldn't be bothered to do anything with them, I'm back at work now, a week so far, and after 5 months its hell because I've grown totally inefficient, and I just don't seem to have any energy these days either.

So I was wondering what people might think I should do, should I just try and get some more recent photos taken and uploaded and then carry on from there and if anyone is interested in something they haven't seen me post about they can ask? I know there are a few small things I will show off but I can do that when posting recent pics. I just feel so bogged down in everything these days.

Hope everyone is well and apologies for not keeping up with stuff, I do come on and read stuff all the time but I'm usually too tired to post any comments/replies.

Thanks all, Stay Safe!

Alexander.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

No worries. I have not touched my layout for ages but I have started a few small projects. Not finished any small projects, but started. :D

My attention has been on other things, one being making space, so I will be selling more of my 00 collection as to be honest, I just have not used it and much of it was new or if not, was in good condition.

The good thing about this hobby is one can take ones time. There is no hurry.
Alexander Court

Hello All, time for a Beaglington-On-Sea update, at last.

So the summer season is drawing to a close and the kids will be back in school in a week and a half, which means I will get maybe 2 hours each morning of time to work on the railway or whatever. So I might get round to getting more done, the cat has knocked off some of my telegraph poles! And I'll try get some nice new photos of the rolling stock I have been buying with my summer wages (well, with any money I was paid for my frequent overtime as it is has been so busy and birthday money from my parents).

So in about two weeks time I should have some nice new photos to post up, in the meantime I've changed up my Youtube to have my model railway stuff on it (I've only really used my account for watching stuff) and so I did up this little video with my diesels running with stock I recently bought from Mountain (of this forum). Hope you like, will try film stuff in landscape next time!

https://youtu.be/_0ijqLxymBU

Thanks for reading, take care and stay safe,
Alexander.

Alexander Court

Update time, this time we're throwing back to the first week of January, I'd be off work due to enforced closure by the government since Christmas Eve (until June it turned out!) and so I was still feeling the cold of winter. However, I did have a acquire a second Caledonian coach:
These coaches always looked amazing to me, I really need to get a Caledonian Single...

It was so cold the highways department were out gritting the roads:

Looks like it was a busy morning despite the chilly weather:

Duck was waiting for the off with his milk wagons:

Birds-Eye View:

Wide shot showing the empty coal wagons in the siding waiting to go back to be filled, percy bustles through on a pick up goods and some blood and custard MK1s await their engine in the platforms:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBLtMf]Image

And that just about wraps up this post. I have a few more to do and some more recent photos to upload too, hopefully get that sorted now we are out of season. I haven't done much lately as my fingertips dissolved again and this time the skin has gone on all the inside of my fingers down to my palm and some have skin gone around the back /on the outer side of my hand to, so touching anything is quite sore, my fingers often crack/split the skin and bleed and even tying shoelaces can be a challenge as the material of the laces catches in the dry skin of my fingers. This has somewhat impacted on my dexterity, I'm finding it hard to pick up small detailing parts or firmly grip/apply pressure to things. At least I can type so maybe I can get some more of these posts up while I'm not modelling.

Thanks for stopping by,
Alexander.

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Alexander Court wrote:the cat leaves dust and hair everywhere, especially when he sneaks for a nap on the village green, hopefully the fences will keep him out!
Not a chance of it
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Alexander Court

A short update on the coal siding/office in the goods yard.
For Christmas I got a staithes kit and a Harburn Hobbies (I think) coal sack load.I put the load in my NCB truck and then built the kit and also did the dirty coal ground cover on the area around the coal merchants.

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out actually.
Alex.

Alexander Court

Bufferstop wrote: Not a chance of it
He now likes to use the baseboard of the next project to jump onto the off scene part of this layout and rub his chin on the cliff top making an awful mess.

Alex.

Alexander Court

I've got time so I'm going to see if I can get this update done, don't know if there will be time for more.

I got a green Lima class 20 for Christmas that needs some attention to it's buffers, and I also have a Lima Class 40 No.261(...see Thomas the tank) in BR green, thought I'd have a little running session with them:

An empty station, a rare sight at the usually busy Beaglington-On-Sea:

Ah, there they are!

The fat controller comes to inspect the shed and signal box:

The local pub has finally got round to building a decent wall between their beer garden and the railway:

Flying Scotsman heads a boat train towards the Terminus at Beaglington Town/Harbour, having come South and coming on to this line via Siddington Junction, she was seen passing through Beaglington-On-Sea with passengers for the steamship to the continent, at that time of the year they could expect a rough crossing:

She was gone in a flash, but some slower services could still be seen by any of the local lads out trainspotting:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBLx7M]Image

Not so good news later in the day, there was a crash in the station when NWR 4-4-0 No.2 'Edward' was diverted due to a signal failure on the mainline and the local controller was unaware of the clearance issues. As such the locomotive's front end mounted the platform ramp as it took the curve into the station, luckily no one was hurt as the driver quickly brought the locomotive to a halt. (Seriously though, the overhang on the front of Edward is ridiculous, he is practically unusable, his face keeps falling off and even though he is filled with old cot bolts in his boiler to try hold him down he still can't negotiate the platforms. Also Hornby designed him to have lamp irons on the buffer beam but the buffer beam is too short to allow it to go in the right way as the thick base of the peg has nowhere to go, hence the ridiculousness of them. I should have got a Bachmann one....)

Alex

Mountain

Post by Mountain »

My last layout which was in 00 gauge used to have the area above the tunnel left as a painted flat wooden board for a while before I did more scenery and my cat loved to sit in that position to watch the trains go into the tunnel below. She loved it up there! She sometimes used to sit across the many tracks which made up my marshalling yard if there was a gap inbetween stored wagons. If not she would make a gap and there would be wagons everywhere!

I could not get away with realistic speeds because trains had to dive for the many tunnels on the layout for protection. She seemed to enjoy the running of trains more then I did! Haha!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Is Edward tender driven?

The origional design of the loco had loco drive and that would have behaved itself better. I am wondering if one could find an old Triang/Hornby loco drive version to see if it can be used? Though the wheel flanges might be a bit deep, but it could be a potential solution.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

4-4-0s are a troublesome design to model as the fixed wheelbase is so far back beneath the chassis, even if you can get some support from the front bogie, there is bound to be a large overhang at the front on anything but the largest radius curves. I think the early Triang variants got away with it, by dint of small bogie wheels, a long bogie link arm, and wide treads on the driving wheels, allowing the drivers to slide sideways across the railhead. They had the formula about right, they would even take first radius curves, but you had to accept the compromises in wheel profile and back to back dimensions.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions