Beaglington-On-Sea 00 gauge in 6ft by 4ft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Alexander Court

Re: Beaglington-On-Sea 00 gauge in 6ft by 4ft

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Time for more progress, however it's likely to be the last update for now as I haven't made any more progress than what I will be showing here. AFter constructing the tunnel entrance area at one end and the main cliff I decided it would be best to do the first coating of newspaper and pva before attempting to construct the other tunnel entrance area which is generally larger/wider and more open inside and I figured that it'd be easier if the completed length of cliffwork were sturdier to help when fixing an undersurface between the two parts. Here are a few shots from before the second tunnel area got sorted:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Now as you can see I've sensibly taken up the track and moved stuff in order to do the paper mache, something I didn't' do as much of when finishing the other end of the cliff (Which I shall post in a minute) I plan on doing an entire second coating of newspaper to it and that should make it rigid enough without making it too indestructable for when it comes to that time in the future when it must be disposed of, whether I regret this decision-time will tell.

Alexander.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:34 pm

And now here are some shots of the finished tunnel mouth area, well, as finished as it can be for now. I rather based my cliffs on the background of a 7mm layout I've always admired since I read it in 2006 in the first copy of BRM I'd ever bought called 'Fettleworth' (August 2006) and it was full of gorgeous LBSC locomotives and rolling stock too. I still have it (minus cover) to get out and have a look at whenever I want, as well as the first RM magazine issue I bought (July 2006) and many others. I find these earlier magazines in my collection had far more influence over me, or inspired me more, than the magazines I pick up these days, I suppose its something to do with how you take in your first exposures. I actually ran out of glue/newspaper/time before I finished a little bit down at the front of the layout behind where the shed will be which is an area of beach/dunes.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

That's yer lot for now. I can't decide what I should try get for christmas, I could get new track and progress a bit but track isn't really an exciting gift when you can technically run locomotives, and I don't know if I can even be bothered with cork underlaying. I haven't got a massive budget and I don't really know what I would like. I'd love to get something modern to run, like a railroad spec class 66 and some tanks and container wagons (With different containers to the ones I have already got) or even a railroad spec class 37. I suppose I'll see what I can afford and what catches my eye.

Thanks all for reading.
Alexander.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Coming along nicely 8)

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Dave wrote:Once it dries out it should be quite hard, if not just glue another layer or two over it.

I did another two layers in the end before I got to painting.

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Coming along nicely 8)

I have some updates to post up on here, my laptop died dead and now I'm back using the netbook, with the harddrive from the laptop plugged in via caddyusb to access my files, I wanted to get all up to date so I can post up if I get any nice things for Christmas.

Thanks for the interest,
Alexander

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:21 pm

This is the first part of this update and focuses predominantly on the development of the cliffs....still.
These photos show how the cliffs looked after a coat or two of cheap white acrylic paint from The Works, which is where my budget took me but actually its not too bad, I hope it at least gives a nice impressionist style representation of the white cliffs of the south coast of England. I tried to make the cliffs twice as high as the buildings so it still looks imposing enough without being too difficult to operate around.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
3.jpg (82.03 KiB) Viewed 952 times

4.jpg

5.jpg

Oh and as you can see, the old presents train is running again!

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Update part 2 of 2
6.jpg

This half has a more maritime theme, in that it revolves around a birthday present from my friend Larry which he sent with our Christmas presents, 4 months after my birthday :P Unfortunately somewhere between Greater Manchester and South West Kerry it appears this sailing vessel ran into a bad storm, and got itself badly damaged...
7.jpg
7.jpg (90.87 KiB) Viewed 951 times

Not to let the sight of it smashed to bits deter me, I grabbed my big bottle of pva, a brush, some tweezers and some blue tack and set to work repairing the mast.
8.jpg
8.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 951 times

9.jpg
9.jpg (86.34 KiB) Viewed 951 times

And while that set I tested out my little slither of coastline.
10.jpg

That's all for now til I retrieve new pics from my phone and resize them for posting.
Alexander

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:06 pm

After an hour of struggle with the netbook I managed to get it to work enough to load up and let me do some updates. I worked today, I rather enjoy it actually, making sure the cold room is tidy and stuff is thrown out if needed and changing the fryer oil etc. My employers are the best, three free pints before I headed home and my boss bought me a local brewers gift pack with the two beers they make and a pint glass. Merry Christmas eve!

Anyways, the first pic here is the half finished platform I made out of Metcalfe scraps which will appear in later photos so I thought I would show it now.
1.jpg
1.jpg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 911 times

It's not perfect but m'eh.

Anyways, here are some shots of the finished white coats on the cliff and the base grey of the board surface now applied.
2.jpg
2.jpg (65.31 KiB) Viewed 911 times

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks,
Alex.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:30 pm

So, I managed to do some impressionist painted grass to get the scene set nicely for Christmas and lay all the current buildings I have onto the board. I'm probably not going to get round to sorting the tunnel portals and road bridge until the new year but I'm not too fussed.
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

And here's a little shot from behind the scenes.
10.jpg
10.jpg (102.43 KiB) Viewed 907 times

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Three more shots...
11.jpg

17.jpg
17.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 907 times

18.jpg

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:41 pm

And now the posts of the christmas trains, I'll be running new stock tomorrow and taking photos to upload (assuming I do get some new models!) and hopefully have them up on christmas or boxing day. Can't wait til the red box brigade do the 6th of January announcement, I'm usually at work though. Anyways please enjoy these festive photos.
12.jpg
12.jpg (115.97 KiB) Viewed 906 times

13.jpg
13.jpg (109.96 KiB) Viewed 906 times

14.jpg
14.jpg (115.35 KiB) Viewed 906 times

15.jpg
15.jpg (100.72 KiB) Viewed 906 times

16.jpg
16.jpg (124.57 KiB) Viewed 906 times

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Thanks,
Best wishes,
Alexander Court

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:35 pm

What a good start like it and keep up the good work

Chops

Postby Chops » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:30 pm

In a word, "wow." Three lines in 4x6 with most ingenious interchanges.
If you can, some video of this would be most appreciated. I've looked
at a lot of layout plans, this would, in my opinion any of the better
I've seen of Mr. Rice, apologies in advance. If I ever rebuild "Henley,"
I'm doing this.
Nessie rocks!

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:22 pm

kevin sharpe wrote:What a good start like it and keep up the good work

Thanks, hopefully I'll get some track and stuff in the new year so I can get round to ballasting.

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:30 pm

Chops wrote:In a word, "wow." Three lines in 4x6 with most ingenious interchanges.
If you can, some video of this would be most appreciated. I've looked
at a lot of layout plans, this would, in my opinion any of the better
I've seen of Mr. Rice, apologies in advance. If I ever rebuild "Henley,"
I'm doing this.

Thanks, I'm still not sure if I will include the turnouts on the two inside loops in the station area, it'd make operation easier ut might then affect how close the platform edges can be to the lines :/ I spent an awful long time, a number of years, trying to redesign my original L shaped Beaglington into 6 by 4 and eventually I settled on designing the cliffs and the track behind them first, seeing what the best potential I could get was and then designed the front based on that, it does mean that this small pocket of buildings around the station has no railway lines running through it, and the exterior sidings are minimal, but thats fine as the station is now a through line, with a small shed for the station shunter (the other locomotives mainly shedded at Siddington Junction) and minimal goods facilities as there is an imagined dockside area not far away with its own goods facilities.

Anyways, sorted out my youtube so I can get videos uploaded of the layout now, I'll have to try post some more at somepoint, just filmed this quick bit while the noisy kids were otherwise occupied (they are running up and down the hallway now shouting and Sid has told me sarcastically that I'm ''A great help''. Ah well, best go try and sort out the madness.

Happy St. Stephen's/Boxing Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhh_iMtSuo

Alexander

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Time for a late festive post I suppose, to show off my presents and a few other things to say, seeings as we are on the brink of world war 3 I thought I better get on with uploading, but I just haven't had time until now.

Anyways I found the little snowmen I had on my 4ft by 4ft circular layout from 2016/17(?) and decided to have the feature on the model railway, and a wooden one that my mother got me when I lived in Wexford which is sitting on the balcony/roof space of the brewery.
4.jpg
4.jpg (101.59 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

This one sailed up in my recently repaired birthday vessel;
1.jpg
1.jpg (83.21 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

These two are waiting for a train, conveniently looking like it's covered in snow;
2.jpg
2.jpg (52.04 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

and the final one is arrving by Sodor Taxi;
3.jpg
3.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

And here's the goods I unwrapped on Christmas day, there's two pairs of socks, some bath melts, a hygiene set (gone are plastic inner trays, the lynx in these boxes was wrapped in a paper bag inside) an Airfix kit for a rainy day (many of those in Ireland!) some dublo tin plate southern suburbans, a little worn but rather nice and their couplings will hook on to tension lock hooks! My mother got me a NSE queen mary brakevan and a peco wagon which does coupe despite the couplings but will detach from a train if it gets bumped, it is very nice though. Sid got me a GWR conflat and a NCB sentinel which is rather nice, bit of an oily whiff from it being second hand but it looks good with my other sentinel. There's also a Robert Horne 0-4-0 from my friend Larry (of smashed-in-the-post wooden boat fame) which will run nicely but very loudly. When I took these photos I was still waiting on another package from hattons which I will post an update on at somepoint.
5.jpg

Think I've got another small update ready to post before work if I get the time to do it.
Thanks for reading,
Alexander.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”