Rowenwood

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dursleydog

Re: Rowenwood

Postby dursleydog » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Final week of summer before the postgraduate course starts on Monday, so I've taken the final opportunity of free time to finish as much of the base scenery as I could. Never used static grass before, but fairly pleased with the results. I was going for a slightly run down and overgrown look, which with the addition of some bushes and weeds, as well as weathering powders for the buildings, I think I'll achieve.

IMG_1199.JPG
'Sir Daniel Gooch' rolls in past the signal box on the mainline, with the good shed in the foreground.

IMG_1201.JPG
Detailing on the engine shed area. Chains, rusty rails, and old wheels litter this area which is beginnning to fall to the weeds in places.

IMG_1202.JPG
The overall station throat, might try and make it all look slightly less green!

Money is a little snug at the moment to justify doing the expensive jobs, like solving my crippling locomotive shortage! But soonish I think Rowenwood will be seeing some new arrivals. Also at some point I'll start playing with weathering powders, which I'm hoping will make a big difference!
It's been a very fun summer finally being able to dive into a layout and try out tonnes of new techniques, for a first ever layout I'm pretty please with how its gone so far, already got lots of things I'd like to do differently next time! :lol:
See my layout at: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54503

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:52 am

Seriously I could sit and play with that for hours. An absolute fantastic job, great results!! Could I ask for a few overall shots?
Josh

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 am

Filthy, neglected, and oozing atmosphere!
That last overall shot is just how I'd imagine a branch-line terminus to look, just before Beeching brought down his axe.
Very nicely done.

P.S.
Don't worry about asking "stupid questions" - The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked!
We are a helpful bunch here, so ask away!
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

dursleydog

Postby dursleydog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:07 pm

New addition to Rowenwood! 'Ditcheat Manor' in BR Black adding to the western region feel.

IMG_1301.JPG

However, having a few issues with the newbie. Runs smoothly enough considering I need to give it an oil and a proper run it, but having an odd issue on points. Every time it reaches a set, the locomotive seems to lever itself in the air just enough to lose all traction. Not sure if anyone's run into a similar issue before and how/if they fixed it?

General scenery work is making slow progress now I'm back to work, but I've been adding a few bushes and weeds to make it steadily more run down and Beeching-esq. In my head it's developing as some additional 'overflow' terminus for a city somewhere in the west country that's seeing the services decline and facing closure, hoping to capture a bit of that atmosphere as the scenery continues! Once I've ironed out a few scenic bits and pieces I'm not quite happy with yet, I'll be posting some more overall shots.

dursleydog

Postby dursleydog » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Only been a few minor updates to the layout, few scenic tweaks and ironing out a couple of electrical issues (pva glue getting in places it shouldn't!). Had a little running session and took a few pics, enjoy!

IMG_1701.JPG
The 08 station pilot leads empty Chocolate & Cream stock out of the station in a more overall shot of the layout.

IMG_1702.JPG
'Ditcheat Manor' simmers on shed as she takes on water for the afternoon's duties.

IMG_1704.JPG
Empty coaches sit in Platform 1 in the background of a quiet Rowenwood station.

IMG_1703.JPG
'Ditcheat Manor' leads a local stopping train out of platform 1 tender first.

IMG_1708.JPG
A quiet spell at the station allows the station pilot to move empty trucks out of the goods shed.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”