A 1944 themed layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

Re: A 1944 themed layout

Post by heda »

Thank you Dan, all compliments gratefully received :) .
I've tried a different method with the trees, stuck Woodland Scenics dark green foliage on top of the original 'loo brish' Chinese trees, I think the effect is much better. I've attached a couple of pictures of work in progress as well as the finished thing in place.
Dave

GreenBR

Post by GreenBR »

Like the trees, they work very well
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk
heda

Post by heda »

Another garden with rockery finished and house stuck down. This section is about complete now.
As a result of the lockdown it's coming together quicker than I had planned but there is still loads to do and I have plans in mind for my next layout so plenty to keep me occupied for the next couple of years.
Dave

glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Impressive work done, heda. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
heda

Post by heda »

To be honest any credit goes to my wife who is a keen gardener, she planned the gardens and even told me what the shrubs were. All I did was stick down some Woodland Scenics foliage and sprinkle coloured sawdust on to it.
Dave
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

heda wrote:To be honest any credit goes to my wife who is a keen gardener, she planned the gardens and even told me what the shrubs were. All I did was stick down some Woodland Scenics foliage and sprinkle coloured sawdust on to it.
Dave
Ten out of ten to the Management (Mrs heda) :)

My 'Management' has helped me a few times also. :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

Those gardens and the trees beyond are brilliant, I could never hope to achieve that, love the contrasting neatness of the gardens and wilder area beyond.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
heda

Post by heda »

Thank you Alex, I appreciate your kind comment but please don't underestimate your skills, I always enjoy your updates and your layout is excellent work, as a lot of others on here are, just that we all model in different ways to achieve different scenes.
Dave
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

heda wrote:Thank you Alex, I appreciate your kind comment but please don't underestimate your skills, I always enjoy your updates and your layout is excellent work, as a lot of others on here are, just that we all model in different ways to achieve different scenes.
Dave
Thanks, I really appreciate the praise :mrgreen: I think I'll have to reread your posts about your trees when the time comes and maybe browse the forum for inspiration, because I've never had trees on one of my layouts, I usually get to the point of having most of the main scenery done and then have to get rid of a layout before I can do trees and finer detailing, and hopefully mine will turn out well. As for the neatness of the garden, I've just ordered my first lawnmower, a cheap electric thing, so I'll have a practice in 1:1 scale first before I attempt to model a lawn, its been almost a decade since I last mowed a lawn.

Thanks
Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
heda

Post by heda »

Not a lot of modelling recently, to busy doing nothing enjoying the fine weather. But I have done some work on the brewery lorry. I picked the barrels up as part of a small job lot of Merit platform accessories.
Rather than use loads of the barrels I cheated and used plastic rod covered in tarpaulin using tissue paper wetted with dilute pva. The black wash is still wet in the last picture. The barrels had a quick lick of burnt umber to dull them down. I need to finish putting the lorry together and add the detailing now, a job for another day.
Dave

manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Clever way to extend your numbers. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
End2end

Post by End2end »

Great idea manna! Reminds of the old adage "model only what you can see".
Those barrels will need strapping down though before the lorry sets off. :? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Chops

Post by Chops »

Terrific updates. :!:
Nessie rocks!
heda

Post by heda »

Thanks all. E2E, yes, I'm sometimes guilty of paying to much attention to detailing things that you can't even see !
I think probably a couple of coils of cotton to be added to tie the tarp down.
Dave
heda

Post by heda »

Not much progress to date as I've been making a farmyard for Grandson.
What I have done on the trains is to put some rope on the lorry and add the name. Also made up some wagon loads, they are all on a removable card base so I can swap them around or replace them, I glued a washer underneath so they can easily be picked up with a magnet. My method of making the tarpaulins was to cover the wagon with clingfilm, fold newspaper over it and paint with pva. Once dry trimmed to size, painted and some cotton rope added. The clay pipes are drinking straws with plumbers hemp packing.
Dave