A 1944 themed layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: A 1944 themed layout

Post by glencairn »

I like the loaded wagons, heda. Well done.
Any barrels from the Dorset Brewery heading north? :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
heda

Post by heda »

LOL, Thanks Glencairn, the loads were very easy to do and to me add a lot more interest than open wagons.
As repayment for your kind words I'll speak with the driver but only after he's offloaded my barrels :) .
Dave
heda

Post by heda »

Not a lot of progress, what modeling time I've had has been taken up with another project. My wife picked up a Santa Express set and instructed me to build a Christmas layout. I'll start a new thread on that once the baseboard is completed.
Meanwhile back at Canford village some wood paneled fencing has been erected next to the chalet bungalow while the other bungalow which is still under construction has had a chimney removed and a dormer window added, they also had a small patio laid which due to my lack of forward planning involved some excavation work.
Dave

joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

Coming along really well, you must be happy with the results! Really liked your trick with the rod and tissue to give the effect of more barrels. Very clever.
Cheers,
Josh
Lachute

Post by Lachute »

heda

Post by heda »

The layout has been stored away for a couple of months while I built a Christmas end to end this week Igot it out and dusted it off. I don't have a lot of motivation at the moment but have made some small progress.
Canford now has a grocery and more importantly a pub, at the other end of the siding buffers have been added and ballasted in. There is also a telephone box, it came as an unmade kit with a small joblot that I picked up a while ago. I had already painted and assembled it, only when I put it on the board I realised it's not the right scale, it's to small ! It's not stuck down yet, I like where it is but not sure about the size, wife thinks it looks OK and that I'm been fussy so it will probably stay there.
I spent an afternoon running a couple of trains that I bought last year and other than checking that they worked with a battery I haven't touched them. Glad to say they ran well except for one, an 0-6-0 it ran fine but kept stuttering going through points, I checked the back to back on all the wheels and on each axle the wheels were to close together, once that was adjusted it ran a lot better but I don't think it's picking up on all wheels, maybe as a result of my moving the wheels, not a major problem, it's back on the 'to be looked at shelf'.
Then a pleasant couple of hours shunnting some wagons which is really what the layout is designed for.
A couple of pictures showing the latest progress.
Dave

Chops

Post by Chops »

Charming photography.
Nessie rocks!
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

Progressing really nicely. That last photo showing the depot is really quite cool. How are you enjoying the running sessions?
Cheers,
Josh
heda

Post by heda »

It wasn't a proper running session as I really wanted to try a couple of new purchases that hadn't been run since I bought them a few months ago, once that was done I hitched up some wagons and coaches and enjoyed watching various combinations trundling round, then on to some shunting wagons around, all very good fun.
Dave
heda

Post by heda »

Another pause in progress due to a family bereavement but finally got my modelling enthusiasm back. The yard needed a lifting barrier, I've been thinking for a while about how to go about it, finally had a go with a couple of coffee stirrers, a small piece of dowel and a pin and surprised myself, it works, the arm itself is overscale but I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't stuck it down yet as it needs trimming then another coat of white and some red stripes. Also the temporary balsa wood block is going to need replacing with a prop, .

With the barrier pretty much sorted I can crack on with the lineside fencing. It's quite pleasing to see some progress, hope my enthusiasm stays.

Dave
heda

Post by heda »

The lineside fence trimmed and stuck down as far as the passenger crossing to the platform. Quite a simple job but to me at least it has made quite a difference fencing the track off. Once the glue has set I'll blend the base in.
The telephone box is stuck down but the house front left and brewery lorry are just there posing for the camera.

Dave

Last edited by heda on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
heda

Post by heda »

Having an oap moment I managed to miss a picture off.
Here is the third picture I meant to have posted.
Dave

heda

Post by heda »

More work done on the fencing, I used cheap filler on the side by the road followed by a coat of burnt umber. The area between the ballast and the fence was filled with gravel, this will have grass and weeds added in due course.

Dave

End2end

Post by End2end »

A 'charming idyll' of a layout heda.
A little hamlet, church, pub, shop and tiny station. What more do you need? :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
heda

Post by heda »

What more do you need?

An end to lockdown so I can buy a beer at the Merley Arms and stand by the fence watching the shunting, a beer garden would have been better but you can't have everything !

Dave