A 1944 themed layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: A 1944 themed layout

Post by End2end »

Hmmm, you'll need to scale down your drinking habits. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

End2end wrote:Hmmm, you'll need to scale down your drinking habits. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
WOT!!! A year in lockdown and you say that. :lol:
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

heda wrote:T... only when I put it on the board I realised it's not the right scale, it's to small ! It's not stuck down yet, I like where it is but not sure about the size, ...
Hi heda.
As one who has not a layout, nor even a single kit painted, let alone assembled, I can speak with authority on this issue: Had you not written that the phone box was the wrong scale, I would not have noticed.

The brain takes wonderful shortcuts, and anyone scanning the layout in Real Life, or via video of photos would see a telephone box and continue scanning.
I suspect that most of us who have read this page of thread feel the same way. We see a-telephone-box, but we do not see a-telephone-box-not-to-scale.

I have just gone through a two-week disruption known as “having a neighbour in to do some painting”, and as anyone who has painted knows, as soon as we finish the job we notice the two-inch smear just above the door, near the corner of the ceiling, and we will see that smear until we move house. No-one else notices the smear because they are heading for the bookshelves (or the dry sherry or …); we see the smear because we made it, it is our fault.
I hope this makes sense.

I suspect even fewer people will notice that the telephone box is not quite to scale when the 4-6-2s are tugging a ten-coach rake, or the 0-6-0 is deliberately taking its time to shuffle twenty wagons.

(signed) “Jealous” of Bonavista
heda

Post by heda »

Glencairn, your right, after a year of lockdown I have no intention of curtailing my intake of locally brewed beverage. But E2E makes a good point, if we can scale ourselves down the Merley Arms is staying open, being a small off the beaten track village nobody seems to bother.

ChrisGreaves, your right, I'm sure I'm not the only one but when I undertake a project, modelling or othersise I always see the faults but then stand back and look at the overall picture and they don't show.

Dave

End2end

Post by End2end »

Mine's a (small) large one. :lol:
CHEERS! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

It is heda's 1944 themed layout. Let's have a glass or two before any bombs drop.
IMG_4996.JPG

Glencairn
heda

Post by heda »

After recovering from yesterdays visit to the Merley Arms a bit more work done and nother small update. The barrier is painted and glued down and another garden finished. Cheers chaps.
Dave

glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Looking good heda.

One minor thing to think about. Because of rationing of food during the war and after (until 1955 when it ended) most gardens were turned to growing food. I remember it well.

Glencairn
End2end

Post by End2end »

Smashing. :mrgreen:
I'd love to see a pictorial step by step on how you create your gardens heda.
I'm in for a few with the amount of buildings I've built. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
heda

Post by heda »

Your right glencairn, growing up in the 50's I can remember it quite clearly too.
When I planned the layout my idea was for a wartime scene, taped up windows, a bomb damaged house, that sort of thing. It would also give me an excuse to run anything as trains could be bringing troops and supplies from all over the country down to the south coast ready for the planned invasion.
However as work progressed it became more post war so I have applied rule one.

The idea of a small WWII themed layout is still in my mind, I want to have a try at modeling bomb damaged buildings. I've got some bits and pieces stashed away in the loft, track, old Airfix buildings and other odds and ends all ready for my next project.

Dave
heda

Post by heda »

Thank you E2E
I've got two more gardens to go, I'll try to remember to take pictures as I progress, it will take a while though, I need to finish the two houses first.

To start attached is an aerial shot of the two gardens. The one at the bottom will be all vegetable, ( following on from my reply to glencairn, he supplies produce to the village and has a market stall in town ). The other garden by the church will be grass to the left and a vegetable plot to the right. As with the rest of the board I paint everything with artist acrylic to give me an idea how it will look and provide a base colour.

The materials are
Static grass for the lawns, I use a mix of colours to try and change the shades although this isn't very effective for small areas.
Coloured sawdust for soil, bedding plants and flowering shrubs. A friend of mine who does a lot of craft work supplies this for me but it is easy to make your own and you only need a small amount. Mix the sawdust with watered down acrylic, drain off, put in the airing cupboard to dry out then sieve with a tea strainer.
Shrubs are Woodland Scenics clump foliage.
Small trees are the cheap Chinese ones from Ebay.
Sheds, greenhouses, wood fencing and gates are laser cut by my craft making friend, they are probably available on Ebay or he would probably be quite happy to supply to your spec for the cost of materials and postage.
That pretty much is your shopping list, plus detailing such as a garden bench, washing lines, etc all available online or easily made with bits from the odds and ends box.

Lastly for now a link to my gardens on my previous N gauge layout

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 1&start=45

Dave

End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks heda. :)
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Excellent work. You've really made the most of the limited space and it's nice to see some of the good old kits and stock being used so creatively.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hi Heda
I really like the way your layout is really coming together, I find that some muscle relaxant certainly helps from time to time. I have an idea that may help your telephone box (which looks absolutely fine to me) It appears to be below the level of the paving if you were to raise it on a plinth a little it may help the size problem.
heda

Post by heda »

Thanks again to all for the kind comments.
I do enjoy renovating the old buildings and rolling stock, a lot cheaper than buying new too !
The telephone box is stuck in place now, originally it was level with the footpath but it is now raised slightly on a concrete (mounting card) base.
I've been working on the last two buildings but real life is getting in the way again so noy likely to be any more real progress for a couple of weeks.
Dave