A 1944 themed layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

A 1944 themed layout

Postby heda » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Well I've progressed from layouts design to layouts under construction. The baseboard has been built and the cut outs for the front point motors all done, I've stuck down a cork bed, not so much for noise reduction as I'm not sure it's very effective but to cover the screws and scribbles on the baseboard and give me a smooth clean surface to lay the track on.
The front section is the hardest bit with six sets of points, once that's in place I can fix the curves and the back section. The sidings I will play around with when then oval is down.
Next job solder droppers to the rails and wire the point motors. Hopefully I'll be able to show some progress next week.
Dave

Mountain

Re: A 1944 themed layout

Postby Mountain » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:55 am

The board looks a great start... You could find a board made in 1944 for real athenticity... No, seriously it is the start of something great. :) Will look forward to watching things as they progress. It may take a while to get used to the new scale, but it is easy when you get to play with things and experiment a bit.

heda

Postby heda » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:12 pm

The 'new scale' is a pleasure to work with. I started soldering droppers to the track last weekend then my soldering iron gave up the ghost so that made for a delay. This morning I loose laid the points and track at the front of the board and pinned it down with drawing pins, rolled a couple of wagons along and everything seems fine so I can finish the soldering and (hopefully) get the track laid next week.
I'm looking to getting mundane work done and starting on the fun stuff.
Dave

heda

Postby heda » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Making progress, The points and sections in between are all glued down, the rest of the track is just held in place with pins at the moment. I've managed to get a reasonable length of track in the yard with two of the straights around 15”.
I'm soldering dropper wires to all the rails and putting insulating sections in the sidings and run round loops, I'm finding the soldering is a bit tedious but once it's done I shouldn't have any problem with dead sections of track and I can settle down to what I enjoy, the scenics.
A couple of pictures but not very good quality as the light in the mancave isn't so good today.
Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Nice. You may find a piece of flexible track ideal for lining up the sidings. You won't need much. Just a short length.
The track is looking great.

heda

Postby heda » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:06 pm

I'm using a mix of track, set track for the curves and flexi for the straights, As you suggest I intend to use flexi for the sidings so I can bend them and have a straight run at the back. I've been fiddling around with it and they will only need a slight bend to line them up nicely.
Were off to Devon next week and I'm intending to pop into Pecorama on the way home and spend some money, one more length of flexi is on the list.
Dave

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:34 pm

heda wrote:
Were off to Devon next week and I'm intending to pop into Pecorama on the way home and spend some money, one more length of flexi is on the list.
Dave

As it is '1944', be aware of a possible air raid! :lol:

Looking good. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:59 pm

heda wrote:Were off to Devon next week and I'm intending to pop into Pecorama on the way home

Funny enough I went passed there twice last weekend. There and back to Dad-1's neck of the woods, Dorset.
Be advised they shut half day on a Saturday.

A visit to Beer Quarry Caves just down the road from Pecorama is worthwhile too. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

heda

Postby heda » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:18 pm

I'll keep an ear open for the air raid sirens, I can remember as a youngster in the 50's how they would go off sometimes just to test them
E2E, you passed twice and didn't visit once :o ! Were Dorset too (Wimborne), I'll keep the Quarry caves in mind, probably won't have time Friday but might make for a day out another time.

heda

Postby heda » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:21 pm

Not much progress to show, the straight sections are pinned in place they'll need trimming back slightly before fitting.
I'm off to Devon for a week, planning to pop into Peco and but some bits, also another roll of cork sheet should be on the doormat when I get home so I can get the rest of the track glued down.
I have started on converting the couplings on rolling stock to Kadee's, I thinks they look a lot better than the big tension couplings and they should make for more controlled shunting.
Dave

heda

Postby heda » Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 pm

We didn't stop off at Peco as it was cold and we wouldn't have been able to enjoy the outdoor attractions but we popped into Paignton Models and picked up my last piece of track and a few other odds and ends so I have been able to get some more work done.
Nearly all the track is down now, just the two end curves to go and I can (hopefully) run a train round.
So as far as the actual layout is concerned all is going well.
I am converting my rolling stock couplings to Kadee's, in my opinion they look a lot better and they should make for better controlled uncoupling but I'm finding the uncoupling a bit hit and miss at the moment, on the test track, I'm fairly confident it will work out but I'm working on so many different aspect of the layout that I can't settle down and get the uncoupling to work reliably.

heda

Postby heda » Fri May 10, 2019 5:55 pm

All the track is glued down and painted, it will need a clean with the track rubber once sleepers are painted and the ballasting is done but trains are running round without any issues. The best runner is an old Mainline Collett that I picked up on ebay for less than £20, I wasn't expecting to much having read about them beforehand but it really is a nice little train.
I'm off on hols Saturday evening for a couple of weeks so it will be good to enjoy some sunshine and recharge my batteries. Next jobs when I come home will be to connect the wiring and get the ballast down.
I'm quite pleased that it is coming together quite quickly although I intend to take my time with the scenics as that is really the part of the hobby that I get the most pleasure from.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri May 10, 2019 11:51 pm

Looking great. Is the backscene going to be taller?

heda

Postby heda » Sat May 11, 2019 6:45 am

The back and sides are as high as anything fixed on the layout will be so it can be stored up against the wall in our spare room but I intend to have some higher removable scenic items including a higher backscene. All part of the compromise due to space.
Dave

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu May 16, 2019 2:48 am

Again, at the peril of being repetitive, a most clever use of space, and the view block upon the rear
is quite effective. Shall you be running mostly goods or passenger, or a mixture? Do show a picture
of your Collett. I am not familiar with this.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”