Fishacre Railway, a oo layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ello

Fishacre Railway, a oo layout

Postby Ello » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi everyone,
So Some of you may have seen my post in the welcome section earlier on in the week, if not well I will catch you up a little bit....
Planned a small N gauge layout a long time ago when I was still living with my parents. As they do circumstances change, I moved out, got married had a kid and converted a barn into a home...now I have a dedicated space for some trains, and I upscalled to oo.

So the base boards have been built and a plan has been sort of drawn up.
ImageUntitled by Joseph Ellis, on Flickr
There is a two track main line on the bottom layer, with the purple track being about 100mm above, the yellow track are the up and down ramps. Measurements are about 3.5x2.8 meters
So that’s hope fully caught you up to about lunch time today....if you have any questions comments or ideas please post away

TimberSurf

Re: Fishacre Railway, a oo layout

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:09 pm

French sitcom
(Ello Ello) :lol:
Welcome to the delights of OO, nice bit of space you have!
A couple of points for discussion are your inclines (3m with bends is pushing it), read my guide and and have a think.
Second point is access, both to the back of the wide board and when the track is under the hill.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:17 am

Lovely space there, looks like a great modelling room. One comment to add about the plan, you have included a good few curved points, these are known to be troublesome, I would advise seeing if you can avoid using them, that said they cause most issues when running steam locomotives, if you are running diesels you might get away with it.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:25 am

Even diesels don't really like them. Mind you, some curved points were ok but most I had I ended up looking at ways to alter the track plan to avoid using them. I would use them for sidings so that my main running lines were reliable. Sidings didn't matter so much. Also old worn or battered track was used for sidings to save on costs.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Ah! I can see the pictures now. ( I looked previously and could not see them.)

As others have mentioned, a great space for a layout. Looking forward to further progress reports.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Double post
Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 pm

A great space for a layout. :)
I would concur with others about reach. Cleaning the track is a tedious but neccessary evil and you need to be able to reach all if it to clean it.
Inclines? I wouldn't have a clue. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Great space for a layout, I look forward to see your progress!

Ello

Postby Ello » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks for all the comments, really encouraging to read!
I realise that the reach may be tricky, the base boards are about 900mm wide, I can reach the back wall, and with a step reach it a bit easier, but I may try to alter the plan to bring the track closer to hand.
The two gradients are about 3% according to scram. I’m planning on using the magnetic power track thingy, I forget it’s proper name, to improve traction and pulling power from the start, that will hopefully Give it half a chance to begin with!
My only real concern is the track that is covered under the lower levels. I’m going to plan on having this accessible using removable scenery, but I also realise that not all my ideas workout as I want them!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:53 pm

An exciting project. You may not need the magnetic thingie. It all depends what length trains you use and what is pulling them up. Those modern all wheel drive diesels will pull and pull so will not be an issue, but some steam locos, single end drive diesels or little diesel shunters may struggle pulling longer trains up steep inclines. Mind you, even single end drive diesels used to manage 4 coaches (If the traction tyres had not gone old and hard) up quite an incline on one of my previous layouts. The main issues you may have all things considering are modern coaches uncoupling and/or derailing where they come off or onto the gradient. Older model coaches will rarely pose a problem as they are generally very well behaved and are built to take sharp curves and bumpy less then perfect track. Modern stock is more refined and not made to cope with imperfections. It is a trade off between realistic looks or practical running, where a few of us prefer practical running, but most prefer realistic looks. It is difficult (But not impossible as Mainline and Airfix used to come close) to combine both qualities in one model though todays approach seems to assume that everyone has room for wide radius curves and buys perfect new track....
You could adopt a single height plan which will also save on the cost of track. Umm. Mind you, the challenge of adding a gradient does add an extra challenge to driving the trains which can be fun.

ZacR

Postby ZacR » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Wish I have that much space I can use for my own layout. Ha.
Although on mine I can access most hidden parts from the back I still had to create 2 removable top parts of the landscape for easier access.
I want to see how you get on.
Please keep posting progress.
Thanks.

minipix

Postby minipix » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Great looking layout plan! Lots of playability there.

One thing I'd recommend is trying to avoid S bends. For example, top right of your plan you've got your purple tracks that 'wiggle' right left right. It would be more prototypical (not to mention more reliable in avoiding derailments) to slightly remodel it to take out the middle bend. You'd end up with more sweeping curves, which I think I would prefer if it were my layout. In the real world I think trains would need to slow down more for S bends - probably not an issue on a model railway though as your passengers are less likely to spill their drinks!

Something else to consider, given the long sweeping curves you've got, is superelevation. That's where you angle the track bed slightly so that the trains lean into the bend.
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Overall I like the think the track plan looks like fun! I take it your planning a round house off the turntable? And it seems you can have a few engines running around at once with room to have others waiting so the interest will be very good. I look foward to seeing your progression.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”