N Gauge - Micro Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
YorkRail

N Gauge - Micro Layout

Postby YorkRail » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Some of you may remember me, I'm the guy who had this unusual layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40837&p=610226&hilit=ainsty#p610226

After dismantling that layout, I tried to build an N gauge layout up there 8ft high on the dado rail but hit the same problems - too much dust, impossible to clean and difficult to dismantle to bring down to clean it.

I had delicate talks with my partner (she was allocated more shoe storage, I was given a 30 x 24 inch corner in the living room!) I decided to make a continuous N gauge micro layout. I tried to build it myself, but just do not have the skills or patience to do so. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when I'm making something myself, if it's not right I ditch it. I decided to ask a few professional layout builders for their thoughts. Most were either booked up or said it wasn't possible to create what I desired in such a small space.

30 x 24 inches really doesn't give you much room and I was starting to think maybe they are right, there just isn't the space. Fortunately I stumbled upon a layout builder called Mountain Lake Model Railways who creates layouts in suitcases. I told him my plans (n gauge, continuous layout, fictional heritage railway set on the North York Moors with a coastal scene) and away he went.

Even though I 'cheated' by having him build it, I still wanted to do a bit myself so I asked him to just do the baseboards, track and basic grass scenery. I bought and added all the buildings, trees, walls etc myself.

Here's where I'm up to, not far off having everything in place now. One thing I've noticed with a lot of smaller layouts is people tend to cram too much in, I've tried to leave a few spaces for trees, grass, fields etc. With it being a heritage railway I can run anything I want on it. Today a few coach parties have turned up for the running of an old travelling post office. No prizes for guessing my job :lol:

Mountain

Re: N Gauge - Micro Layout

Postby Mountain » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:10 pm

A nice little layout. I like the castle.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”