Micro layout in O-16.5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dublo

Re: Micro layout in O-16.5

Postby Dublo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:42 pm

The big question still remains and that is the whereabouts of the eighth Hobgoblin. Is it still at loose or has it also been contained.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Aside from that I love the look of the trackwork, with some tufts of greenery added it will certainly look the part.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Dublo wrote:The big question still remains and that is the whereabouts of the eighth Hobgoblin. Is it still at loose or has it also been contained.

I fear it went the same way as the other 7 - but don't fret too much anyone, Mrs.Penguin has promised to replenish supplies following the mysterious disappearance :lol:

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:58 pm

If all seven Hobgoblins disappeared at once I think we may have had a RedNosedPenguin swaying slightly.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Hello again everyone! Life and summer got in the way of modelling for quite a few months, but now I am making a start on the scenic aspects of my micro layout :D - namely the bridge over the stream. Below is (for my future benefit more than anyone else's) a blow-by-blow account of how I constructed the bridge.

I have made it difficult for myself (as usual!) by placing it on a tight curve. I decided to build a girder bridge, as a stone arched one on a curve seemed a bit too hard! A short amount of research revealed that curved girders are actually made up of sections of straight flat plates joined to each other at a slight angle - like the Barnstaple Town bridge here. So I purchased a Wills kit; it is actually 4mm scale but I thought it looked plenty big and strong enough for a little narrow gauge railway in 7mm scale! Which would hopefully allow me to build it on a curve...

The kit:
ImageIMG_9464 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

First I cut some curved plasticard strip to act as a base, and glued the plates onto it, one by one, each at an angle to the previous:
ImageIMG_9453 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

The top flange was then also assembled in sections, each overlapping the joins in the plates. This seemed to go ok, and I managed (by luck!) to arrange for each side to require a whole number of plates!
ImageIMG_9459 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Now for the abutments. I used a couple of pieces of wood suitably cut to accommodate the girders - here they are testing for size:
ImageIMG_9458 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I purchased some embossed stonework plastic sheeting - though I was a little disappointed that the the texture is quite flat - so there is not a deep indentation for the mortar joints. However, the actual layout of the stonework was quite pleasing:
ImageIMG_9449 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

First job was to glue to the wood, carefully curving around the corners to provide continuous stonework:
ImageIMG_9460 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Then I sprayed the whole thing with grey primer, and picked out some of the stones in several different shades of grey; trying to make sure I did this on some that curved around the corners to look like the same stone! This was then followed with a wash of diluted white to run into the mortar courses:
ImageIMG_9462 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I then cut some unused lengths of 'splice plate' from the kit and painted them:
ImageIMG_9465 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

After the bridge was assembled in position, with the girders firmly glued to the abutments, these were then attached to the underside width-wise. After a bit of weathering the bridge now looked like this:
ImageIMG_9466 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I was hoping to achieve a look a little like the Cowbridge Road railway bridge here.

I then needed some capping for the stone walls either end of the girders, so 'stole' some from this Langley bridge kit I had purchased for elsewhere on my little layout (knowing I would only need the retaining walls for one side):
ImageIMG_9468 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

These were cut from the kit, curved slightly by cutting little portions out of one side, and painted & weathered. They were then glued in place on top of the walls:
ImageIMG_9474 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I think it will all look ok once the gaps are filled and everything is 'bedded in' with grass, weeds etc. - and of course some contours down to the river underneath 8) .

I had intended to add a railing on top of the girders, but I have realised the overhang of some of my stock on the outside of the curve (as it's so sharp) means there is insufficient clearance. I think it'll be ok without . . . :?:

For now, the view from below is quite pleasing I think:
ImageIMG_9478 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Montfort2

Postby Montfort2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:54 am

Wonderful work. I'm following your thread with interest.
Back on the track !
Chris

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 am

It is impressive to make it curve. :)
Aww. And I think sold my 00 gauge Wills bridge kit assuming that I didn't need it. Nevermind.
Things are looking good there.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”