Micro layout in O-16.5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Micro layout in O-16.5

Postby Mountain » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:39 am

It is not actually that difficult Alexanda. Buy some secondhand track to practice on. All you need is a craft knife. Actually a pair of scissors may do it. I'm sure you could manage it.
The cheapest way to convert a loco is to convert a Hornby saddle tank. Remove the old cab and chimney and glue on a taller chimney. Either make a new cab or put some 7mm scale traincrew for an open cab look. I know I maybe over simplifying things, but with a little thought and trial and error it can be done.
Painting... If one has not tried painting before, I suggest buying some black paint (I use oil based humburol enamels), a small artists type paintbrush and some brush cleaner. I suggest black as black looks ok as it is without the need to line it or paint the smaller details. Red name and number plates do work well on black locos. (I make mine from the metal cut from fizzy drinks cans and feed them through one of those sticky label printing gadgets, though you could carefully scribe from behind. Cur sharp corners off the plates as fizzy drinks cans are very thinso can be sharp. A curve instead prevents sharp edges. Paint the signs. Leave to dry and carefully scratch over the higher scribed letter bits and one has a name or number plate. The good thing is that if you make a mistake, it has not cost you much. However name and number plates can be bought to save you the trouble of making them).

For a beginner I would avoid painting the locos con rods and piston rods as I find it takes a good while of carefully moving them by running the loco to make the loco run well after. I paint mine, but I know it will take me a bit of work to get the painted parts to run ok. Paint tends to cease up the moving parts when it dries so one needs some patience to paint them.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:52 am

For a beginner I would avoid painting the locos con rods and piston rods

Stain them with a felt tip marker. You'll have to re-apply it from time to time but it takes off the shine.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:32 am

Dad-1 wrote:I did and only just getting around to working out what I did, all so long ago !!
It was I recall quite complex ...

Thanks yeah that's what I thought :shock: - I'll probably go with some kind of steel girders/panels approach - as you say the bridge is not very long . . .

Alexander Court wrote:Love the trackwork, makes me want to hack up some of my hornby settrack, but I lack the tools to make a decent job of it and I've enough on my hands as it is, looking forward to more pics of your progress.

Removing the sleepers was easy but time consuming. I did the first few with just a knife, but soon got my dremel out as my fingers hurt :lol:

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55 pm

A bit more progress this weekend :D

Firstly the whole board and frame was given two coats of MDF sealer:
ImageIMG_9415 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I decided, after the very noisy running on my N gauge layout, to try some rubber underlay. So some 2mm thick neoprene rubber strip was duly purchased and laid onto the board according to my track plan:
ImageIMG_9416 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I loosely laid the track on it in position:
ImageIMG_9417 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

After installing my little NCE control panel into the fame side, I couldn't resist the opportunity to then 'play trains' 8). The track is not stuck down or ballasted yet of course, but so far the running is very quiet indeed (Edith May was virtually silent at a slow crawl) . . .
ImageIMG_9423 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Next job is to wire in the DCC bus and several droppers connected to the track . . .

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:17 pm

Looking good PNP. There is no harm in 'playing trains'. Carry on.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:15 am

I wanna play trains too! :mrgreen:

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:23 pm

A bit more progress . . .

Track glued down:
ImageIMG_9425 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Droppers installed:
ImageIMG_9428 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

DCC bus wired up to the droppers:
ImageIMG_9429 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Happy days :D = more playing!

And maybe I ought to drink some of that Hobgoblin :lol:

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Good use of the cans from the 'unopened 7-pack' ! :lol:

Berryman

Postby Berryman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:52 am

Nice start. What's next ?
I wanna play trains too ! Image

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:58 am

How does your little 0-6-0 like the curves? Did you need to file the flanges off the centre pair of wheels or is it ok as it is? I had to file the flanges on my 0-6-0 which uses a slightly shortened Lima class 09 chassis.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks for your interest and comments . . .

Berryman wrote:Nice start. What's next ?

Well, first I sprayed the track with 'sleeper grime' to coat the sleepers and sides of the rails - and then cleaned the rail tops of course - although this will largely be concealed as I intend to cover the sleepers in ballast as they are out of scale:
ImageIMG_9437 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

For ballast I used a mixture of fine slate dust and grey tile grout, with some larger pieces of slate sprinkled on too. This was all initially laid dry:
ImageIMG_9438 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

And then treated to the usual method of spraying with water/washing up liquid to break down any surface tension, followed by dribbling in a water/PVA mixture to make it all rock hard:
ImageIMG_9439 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

After drying thoroughly for a few days, I gave it a couple of washes with browns and blacks, so that it now looks like this (looks lighter/darker according to camera angle):
ImageIMG_9443 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9445 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I'm not fully happy with it yet but at least it definitely doesn't look like a beautifully ballasted standard gauge main line :lol:!
It'll have some static grass added when I get to the scenics, to give it more of a narrow gauge look, and possibly some more washes to tone it in better. I may also remove some of the larger pieces of slate as some look a little too large . . . :oops:

Mountain wrote:How does your little 0-6-0 like the curves? Did you need to file the flanges off the centre pair of wheels or is it ok as it is? I had to file the flanges on my 0-6-0 which uses a slightly shortened Lima class 09 chassis.

My 0-6-0 Edith May runs around no problem as is - a good job these 'toy' chassis are intended for tight curves :wink:

Berryman

Postby Berryman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Congrats. You did a wonderful track work. I'm a little bit jealous about it. :mrgreen:

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks 8)

I also dug out the piece of plywood I had ear-marked for the back-scene, and, like all badly-stored ply the world over, it was warped :shock:. So, as it is a sunny day, I dampened the concave side and laid it on the garden path weighted down to try to straighten it. Not 100% successful - it now has a slight S-bend :twisted: - but better than it was! One long edge is straighter than the other, so I decided that will be the top!!!

Anyway, out with the jigsaw and a couple of 'tunnel-mouths' later, and I have a train running through the backscene :D
ImageIMG_9446 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

P.S. Note there is no sign of the Hobgoblin cans anymore - no prizes for guessing what happened to them :lol:

Berryman

Postby Berryman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:19 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:P.S. Note there is no sign of the Hobgoblin cans anymore - no prizes for guessing what happened to them :lol:
Maybe someone drank them. :lol: Who knows...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Why are hobgoblins in cans?

Ooh. Fruit filling. Someone's making a pie?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”