Micro layout in O-16.5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Micro layout in O-16.5

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:28 pm

whynot wrote:My first visit here in some years - no "activity" either. (Difficult family health issues and bereavement.) Vaguely wondering about a very modest re-beginning.... and I see this wonderful, small, inspiration! Excellent stuff. I shall ponder. Thanks for the eye-opener.

Nice to hear from you again whynot - and sorry to hear about your family issues - I have an idea what you are going through as 2019 has been difficult in that regard for us too (and continuing into 2020 :( ).

I recommend a small micro layout as the perfect re-beginning to start you on the road to more positive times, and wish you good luck with it :D

Mountain wrote:I love what PNP has done. He is a really tallented modeller!

You are too kind Mountain and not sure how accurate either! - I know you are Welsh, but not all words have double L's in them :lol:

P.S. Hoping to post more updates on my little layout soon . . .

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:22 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:P.S. Hoping to post more updates on my little layout soon . . .

I thought there's no time like the present, so here are a few piccies of some work in progress . . .

1. Hill Contours: this is the first time I have used polystyrene, so enjoying the ability to make shapes that would be difficult with papier maché on chicken wire. There will be a cutting through rock at the entrance to the tunnel - bear with me while I try to make the contours believable :lol: :
ImageIMG_9488 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9500 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

2. Platform for Station Halt: I used some individual paving slabs (previously purchased for slate wagon loads) and edging from embossed stone sheet:
ImageIMG_9491 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9494 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9498 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

3. Road Overbridge: from a Langley Models kit, plasticard and more stone sheet. It will sit right against the backscene as the scenic break at this end of the layout:
ImageIMG_9495 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9496 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9497 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:14 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:

You are too kind Mountain and not sure how accurate either! - I know you are Welsh, but not all words have double L's in them :lol:

The Welsh editions of Railway Modeller do. I thought the English editions had the same spelling?

Love the recent scenery that you have added.

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:33 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Nice to hear from you again whynot - and sorry to hear about your family issues - I have an idea what you are going through as 2019 has been difficult in that regard for us too (and continuing into 2020 :( ).

I recommend a small micro layout as the perfect re-beginning to start you on the road to more positive times, and wish you good luck with it :D

Thank you PNP. My sympathy to you too.

Latest photos even better!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:06 pm

Mountain wrote:
PinkNosedPenguin wrote:

The Welsh editions of Railway Modeller do. I thought the English editions had the same spelling?

OK modeller might be correct, but tallented definitely isn't :wink:

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:06 pm

Lovely modelling, PNP. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:57 am

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:
Mountain wrote:
PinkNosedPenguin wrote:

OK modeller might be correct, but tallented definitely isn't :wink:

But you are tallented.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks for interest :D

I have now attached the backscene to the layout - with small metal angle brackets. It will come off again for attaching the actual scene!
ImageIMG_9503 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

The road bridge has also progressed - some paint - though needs weathering etc. It is just resting in position with the retaining walls just leaning against it for the moment:
ImageIMG_9501 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Close-up of the bridge - unfortunately the camera focused on the background through the arch rather than on the arch itself (never mind!):
ImageIMG_9505 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

The other end with viaduct and tunnel mouth. Of course the RHS of the rock face cutting will follow:
ImageIMG_9506 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Montfort2

Postby Montfort2 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:42 pm

Image Great work.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:36 pm

A little bit more work this weekend after dropping youngest back at Uni :D

The road overbridge at the left end of the scenic side of the layout has been toned down with dark washes, and soot added by weathering powder (hope I haven't overdone that!) and glued into position:
ImageIMG_9509 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Clearance is fine, though fairly tight - but I think that is normal on a narrow gauge line:
ImageIMG_9507 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Landscaping has also been added at the edge of the board - soon I will be cutting and fitting some hardboard fascia:
ImageIMG_9508 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

While I was at it, a (Noch HO scale!) tunnel mouth was painted and fitted for size at the other end of the layout:
ImageIMG_9510 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Thanks for looking . . . 8)

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:02 am

Gosh! I thought you was doing a wintry scene. :lol:

Seriously. It is coming along really well. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:10 pm

Just to prove that I don't only drink Hobgoblin beer, below is proof that I am also partial to a drop of Abbott :lol:

Gluing some hardboard fascia boards onto my little layout (quite nice to be able to simply stand it on its end for this sort of thing!)
ImageIMG_9511 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
Last edited by PinkNosedPenguin on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:30 pm

Interesting use of full cans 8)
Dave

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Stainsacre wrote:Interesting use of full cans 8)

Yeah they don't work as well when empty - for this purpose - well, actually for any purpose! :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:51 pm

I have been continuing to build up the contours using polystyrene covered in a thin layer of polyfilla.

But I have also been thinking about a small station building (hut!) for my little halt. I'm thinking something along the lines of a simplified and smaller version of Nant Gwernol:

So I quickly knocked up a "mock up" building out of card to see what sort of dimensions would fit - here it is with a one-armed (!) loco driver leaning on the side for scale:
ImageIMG_9513 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

And in rough position on the layout:
ImageIMG_9517 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I think I've definitely got the pitch of the roof too high, so would reduce that on the real model. If the building was any larger I think it would look too large - I want it to look in keeping with the size of the layout and be dwarfed by future trees! Any smaller and it would not be a practical shelter for model people to use! Maybe I could also reduce the wall height, so people can only just get in without ducking? Any thoughts?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”