Steam Trains to Sovereign Street on a 1914/1919 theme

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: Steam Trains to Sovereign Street on a 1914/1919 theme

Postby glencairn » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:05 am

Clarence Dock is back up and running. There is still some ballasting to do, but trains are running okay.

Clarence Dock Goods Yard.

IMG_5921.JPG

'Harwood' is in the station on a passenger train service. 'Huxtable' is shunting in the yard.

IMG_5922.JPG

A scene on Clarence Dock.

IMG_5925.JPG

Morning milk and bread to be delivered. (Before Dad1 says the horses etc. are too big, my oldest grandson put them there. :lol: )

IMG_5924.JPG

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:39 pm

Some fantastic shots! I like the horse and cart, even if it is too big. Sometimes playing is more about the scene than the scale.

One question about clarence dock is the dockside looks quite dark and grimey, was this typical of docksides or just how you have modelled it?
Most dockside layouts you see are almost squeaky clean.

And Ive been meaning to ask was your signal box modelled on a prototype?... I would love to do something similar on our new layout.

Cheers,
Josh

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:37 am

joshv8 wrote:Some fantastic shots! I like the horse and cart, even if it is too big. Sometimes playing is more about the scene than the scale.

One question about clarence dock is the dockside looks quite dark and grimey, was this typical of docksides or just how you have modelled it?
Most dockside layouts you see are almost squeaky clean.

And Ive been meaning to ask was your signal box modelled on a prototype?... I would love to do something similar on our new layout.

Cheers,
Josh

Thanks (once again), Josh for your kind comments. They are much appreciated.

Having the grandchildren bringing things for the layout really gets them involved.

As for Clarence Dock. Many years back (1950s) I went on the Calder & Hebble Navigation. It was after school. Being late Autumn darkness was looming. The rain did not help. Come to think of it, the rain did give a claustrophobic feel on the proceedings. Back then the canal was a working one with coal and wool laden barges. Everywhere was a dark black/grey. The stone buildings, canal walling, the sparse grass.
Clarence Dock was exactly the same.
Only after regeneration and a change of name to Leeds Dock did the area become 'squeaky clean' shall we say.

As for other layouts being so clean, I cannot answer. Possibly the owners of the layouts have seen canals that have been regenerated and modelled as such. Clarence Dock is modelled as a working one with all the grime. Modelling the dock after the rain is to have it different to the 'normal'.

The signal box. I purchased it part built from a member on here. I have no idea the make. At the time it fitted in well with my old Scottish based layouts. Now it sits at the entrance to Clarence Dock Goods Yard. Not typical to the area, but really like it and cannot part with it. :D

Glencairn

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:55 pm

You have to remember that there have been 2 big changes to docks over the last 40-50 years, containerisation and the mechanisation of bulk handling. Containerisation has removed boxes and crates standing around in the open waiting for a wagon and a crane to move them. Mechanised bulk handling has done away with open back lorries tipping coal and coke into hoppers or direct into the hold via an open chute. Overhead conveyors are now routinely covered and the mechanical grab discharging loose material onto a quayside pile is also a thing of the past, along with the gang of men armed with shovels.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:03 pm

Bufferstop wrote:You have to remember that there have been 2 big changes to docks over the last 40-50 years, -----

I totally agree, Bufferstop.

I just try to model things to what I have seen and not to what I thought I saw. Life has never been perfect and I am trying to show that. I have made many mistakes (and continue to do so), but hopefully improving as well.

Clarence Dock is in an era before mechanisation. The rain has stopped. There are puddles in the grime. :D

Some other modellers disagree. Thereby is the beauty of this wonderful hobby. :)

Glencairn

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:44 pm

A few weeks back I was in an all but stationary queue on the M6. I had just heard how far the queue stretched, when I realised I was approaching Junction 9. Salvation, home turf, spent the first 30 years of my life around there. So it was rat run time, which took me past Bescot station. I couldn't resist pulling up outside the station. The roads used to be ankle deep in dried mud every where was choked in weeds and the fences were nearly non existent, paradise to ten year olds. What was there couldn't compare, there was no way it could be called tidy but it was all tarmac, concrete hardcore and wire mesh. Give me the old neglected weed choked jungle of yesteryear, anyday!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:55 pm

Bufferstop wrote: Give me the old neglected weed choked jungle of yesteryear, anyday!

Yes! Yes! Yes! :lol:

Being on a train between Ladybank and Newburgh, the branches of trees 'smacking' the carriages as we passed.

Locomotive 34092 'City of Wells' shrouded in tarpaulins at Keighley & Worth Valley Railway as she had just been purchased for preservation.

Not far from Cramlington, Northumberland, looking over long, overgrown grass, watching a 0.6.0 tank locomotive hauling a train of empty coal wagons slowly. Then stopping as one of the wagons had derailed. Health and safety out the window as the Fireman walked along to the offending wagon and proceeded to lift it back on the rails. (Absolutely true.) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- that scene was my first ever introduction to railways. I must have been about four years of age.

Life is not perfect. I try not to model it as if it was. :)

Glencairn

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:08 pm

Thanks for the information Glencairn and Bigmet.
I struggle to find good photographic reference of docksides in the steam era. Theres aerial shots and the occasional lineside shot, generally in black and white and not all that clear so it is hard to gauge.

And most modellers, as I said, have quite clean dockside scenes and Clarence Dock really stands out so its great to hear stories of you experiencing that first hand!. Where there's lack of real photo's I look at what and how others have modelled something for inspiration. And Bigmet makes a fantastic point of how much has changed in dockside operations. All things to keep in mind!

Cheers,
Josh

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:36 pm

Josh. What kind of scene are you looking to portray?

Here is a 'modern' scene with a canal boat

IMG_5870.JPG

Glencairn

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:37 pm

I always like your canal boat! I must model one at some stage.
But I will be modelling along the lines of Clarence dock, but will build a couple of large dockside cranes. The grimey look and the large industrial buildings work so well.

Cheers
Josh

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 pm

Playing around with a new camera

End of the line at Clarence Dock.

IMG_1933.JPG

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:32 pm

Taking time out to go back in time.

'Rocket' at Roseville Station.

IMG_1944.JPG

and leaving Roseville Station.

IMG_1945.JPG

I must find a suitable driver & fireman

Glencairn

captrees

Postby captrees » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:46 pm

glencairn wrote:
IMG_1945.JPG

I must find a suitable driver & fireman

Glencairn

A man for the Rocket? Elton John may have had someone in mind.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:55 am

Always great to see 'Rocket'. Im always fascinated that no matter how great locomotives became, there's something quite special about their early beginnings.

Cheers,
Josh

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:50 am

captrees wrote:
A man for the Rocket? Elton John may have had someone in mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

joshv8 wrote:Always great to see 'Rocket'. Im always fascinated that no matter how great locomotives became, there's something quite special about their early beginnings.

Cheers,
Josh

I agree. To me there is a charm in seeing Victorian locomotives.

Glencairn

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”