Decisions made

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Brian2

Decisions made

Postby Brian2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:45 pm

In the thread " Thinking aloud" I mentioned I was returning to modelling after a lengthy lay off, I was thinking along the lines of narrow gauge and radio control. So having decided on a track plan, shown in that thread, I ordered the timber for the baseboard. It arrived on Friday/Saturday. As a break in the afternoon I went to the model shop to have a look at the 009 stuff. Saw the Bachmans Baldwin, lovely but Oh so tiny, then the track....Memories of a brief experience with Tillig and Continental stock sprang to mind.

Then I spotted a lovely little 00 loco, the Hornby Peckett, Oh dear.....and then turning I saw the Peco stand and there screaming buy me a large radii point with bullhead rails and no hinges.

Decision made, 00, two Terriers and ditto two Pecketts.

Well the rest is history. Baseboard finished Sunday night.

Imageuntitled (1 of 1)-13 by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

So that's O.K. but what about the RC bit and doing away with wiring?

One of the RC guys tells me that the Terrier might be problematic and I must get on and commence construction . So, the UNIFROG point seems to work perfectly out of the box with the little Peckett, no staggering just smooth progression, hence use them as they come and limit the wiring to a bus bar for each section . Then arose a little problem the Peco points only come in large radii and for my proposed layout they just won't work. Never mind, Sheffield and Markway are just down the road, however some sort of frog feed is required. I am thinking the Peco PL13 might do.

The plan is no wiring below the baseboard and the Peco unit could easily be accommodated in the 1/2" fibre board which sits on the plywood.

So that's the plan, carry on with DC and if and when R/C become available just switch off the power.

Any ideas re the track or wiring would be appreciated'

Brian.
Last edited by Brian2 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glencairn

Re: Decisions made

Postby glencairn » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Starting is the hardest part (imho). Now it is up and onwards. Keep the posts flowing.

Gencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Having RC'ed a Heljan Bo_Bo chassis for use with a track cleaning train through an inaccessible* tunnel (the RC just in case a track powered loco got stuck while track cleaning) I struggle to envisage adequate space in the Peckett as well so staying dc is probably a good idea.

* the inaccessibility is due to the tunnel being on a board originally used as part of an exhibition layout with access to the tunnel from the rear which now hard up against a wall.

What do you envisage the layout as - an industrial line or a light railway (with or without a passenger service), or either together with a connection to main railway network ?

What livery are the locos? If you feel the need for more then the Barclay and P from Hattons may be tempting, there is presently £10 off the red Barclay "Katie" and its available from a number of other retailers.

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Really as per the track plan I published on the other thread . A small passenger station top left leading to a small terminus, plus warehouses bottom right, not shown on the track plan, but it's another 10'. Then little harbour/dock a shown. Stock to be two {(but I have 6) Terries......I like em, for the passenger service, a couple of six wheel carriages would be nice.....if I can find em.. Plus two Pecketts. Re the RC I am quite prepared at a future date to have it installed with the batteries enclosed in a permanently attached coach/wagon.

Re liveries aint that fussed, The Terriers are in Southern or LBSC (?) And the one Peckett I have at the moment is in the Pecket livery.

And of course change the station buildings and the signal box and hey presto. I can run all my lovely old Germany stock..... at least the gauge is accurate. ;)

ImageL1030517redsepia by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr
ImageSonyR1015 by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr
ImageL1040196Small by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Chops

Postby Chops » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:48 am

Remarkable and innovative.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

manna

Postby manna » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:17 pm

G'Day Gents

With a collection a Camera's like your's, I'm hoping for some good pictures.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

boxbrownie

Postby boxbrownie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:39 pm

Yes noticed those also....are they Zeiss Ikon?

I also have a Glasskarten, came in the presentation book with 3 carriages......never gets used any more :(
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:14 am

If you end up with just a few points, then you could surface mount them, a few options here.
Or you could use rods and move by hand, if you have used sundeala as the top surface then it lends itself to routing out a channel on the top face to run point tubing or wires just below the surface.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 am

Hi, yes I collect Zeiss and early Kiev copies of them.,

I'm trying to make decisions but the more I think about it the more I get undecided. The one fact the baseboard is constructed.

So track, particularly points. I have bought a couple of the new bullhead unifrog. Without any wiring they run extremely well, the big test has been the little Pecket, it will run through them at quite a slow crawl with only the slightest hesitation, 8' seconds to the foot roughly) I wonder if wiring the frogs would be worth the effort, in view of my ultimate goal...R/C. if I do decide to go that way .But here we have a problem, on my layout would large radii points throughout work? Peco only make Unifrog in enlarge radii so I might have to incorporate some SMP which of course would make feeding the frogs a requirement.

To wire them I shall connect a single pole double throw ( or is it a double pole throw single ? ) switch adjacent to the bus wire with a single lead to the frog. Incidentally the baseboard is fibre board on plywood. Now that switch could be incorporated to work rod in tube point operation, I have seen some switches that have a slider which moves about 3mm, that slider could be drilled to accept a wire, might work.

Incidentally Timbersurf thanks for the list, one of those listed might be an answer, I rather fancy the DCC Concept surface mount but I'm going DC, or doesn't it matter?

As I said any help

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Brian2 wrote:Incidentally Timbersurf thanks for the list, one of those listed might be an answer, I rather fancy the DCC Concept surface mount but I'm going DC, or doesn't it matter?

As I said any help

Doesn't matter, works with DC or DCC so you are good to go, also gives frog control too!

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/cobalt-ss/
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:23 pm

great work area, looks very inviting, must be a joy to go seat there and admire your handiwork

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:22 am

Oh dear. Decision re the bullhead Peo points looks to be off. These beautiful points are only made in large radii, don't reckon I can get away with them on my proposed layout, stamp foot.....they really are nice. So alternative, SMP very pricey, likewise C&L. So looks like it might be back to Peco and their vast range.

Why on earth have Peco only made L.R.? Seems daft to me.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Brian2 wrote:Why on earth have Peco only made L.R.? Seems daft to me.

As the bullhead range is fairly new I imagine they are testing the water to see how popular it is before expanding the range.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:18 pm

Most modellers choosing Bullhead rail will be aiming for a high level of prototype appearance. Those points are only large radius in terms of models they are the closest made to scale of prototype points.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Sp what's happened in a fortnight?

Bullhead out and in with Peo code 75 Streamline Electro frogs. Having discovered I can't solder and irons are hot, out with complicated wiring. So chuck the station run round, 3 feeds via a bus wire and let the points look after themselves re power Still haven't quite decided re point operation apart from wire in tube....it's the switching that's in abeyance.

The result? The track work is alive and my little Pecket sails along quite merrily at a scale snails pace.

The wiring decision was also helped by my intention of going R C in the near future.

Incidentally added a scrap yard with a 009 service on the third baseboard.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”