arboretum valley

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: arboretum valley

Postby Mountain » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:31 pm

I was going to say that it is just like a kid going out in the snow with shorts and a tee shirt!

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:05 pm

I saw wish i could take responsibility for them, but they are either hornby Skaledale resin or Bachmann also resin, there may be a minimal upgrade, but 99 percent plus as out of the box, I can take the merit for having placed them in a line LOL ;D I suppose I do choose building which are in scale, even in as much as they are bought in scale in the first place it is surprising how some building just look awful next to each other. I have the Louth resin station, and is is SO appallingly small that it looks silly if any normal buildings are near it, it is fine as a standard alone staton with nothing else in sight! I use a large number of resin buildings because the layout is so large it would literally take me decades to make up enough buildings and track and even locos and rolling stock to fill, it is the reason I so admire people who may have much smaller layouts BUT who have put much more effort into each aspect scratch building updating etc, I do pay a lot of attention to people who do that sort of thing in case I have the opportunity to at least do a small amount of the same, as a part of the larger. It is why I understand the track argument but find Peco 75 is a good halfway house, why I adore some of the seriously tasty wagon builds, but just do not have the time.

And for me this is not my main hobby anymore, I spend a lot of time with chickens, and our large allotment, as well as the trees, and photographing wildlife's trying to ensure a reasonably realistic look means i have to choose from remade items in the main and ensure they work ell together, the advantage is though i can use large 1:76 scale as foreground and smaller !:76 as far ground helping with a forced perspective.

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:10 pm

I did decide to go with the shorts look, I could have filed the legs, won't be the first time I have done that, but as a child many of the kids had home made costumes, in my early, late teens early twenties I made all sorts out of, I think it gives a bit more realism, as he clearly is NOT the real superboy :)

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Jaz wrote:it is the reason I so admire people who may have much smaller layouts BUT who have put much more effort into each aspect scratch building updating etc

Yes I'm definatly no scratchbuilder. I do like the look of some pre-made Hornby buildings but their cave like insides make it uncondusive to give them interiors. I do find Bachmann much better in that aspect. Scenix on the other hand are atrocious. :lol:
I sort of sit in the middle I suppose between kit building and scratch building in the fact that I build a lot of my own buildings out of plaster linka tiles but I do all the painting and decorating, internally and externally but I'm sure it's much easier and dare I say quicker than scratch building. I have also made a few building kits but have added my own slant on them.
Your definatly spot on with the selection you have placed though. It looks as it should on the prototype older high street. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Jaz wrote:I so (edited from saw) wish i could take responsibility for them, but they are either hornby Skaledale resin or Bachmann also resin, there may be a minimal upgrade, but 99 percent plus as out of the box, I can take the merit for having placed them in a line LOL ;D I suppose I do choose building which are in scale, even in as much as they are bought in scale in the first place it is surprising how some building just look awful next to each other. I have the Louth resin station, and is is SO appallingly small that it looks silly if any normal buildings are near it, it is fine as a standard alone staton with nothing else in sight! I use a large number of resin buildings because the layout is so large it would literally take me decades to make up enough buildings and track and even locos and rolling stock to fill, it is the reason I so admire people who may have much smaller layouts BUT who have put much more effort into each aspect scratch building updating etc, I do pay a lot of attention to people who do that sort of thing in case I have the opportunity to at least do a small amount of the same, as a part of the larger. It is why I understand the track argument but find Peco 75 is a good halfway house, why I adore some of the seriously tasty wagon builds, but just do not have the time.

And for me this is not my main hobby anymore, I spend a lot of time with chickens, and our large allotment, as well as the trees, and photographing wildlife's trying to ensure a reasonably realistic look means i have to choose from remade items in the main and ensure they work ell together, the advantage is though i can use large 1:76 scale as foreground and smaller !:76 as far ground helping with a forced perspective.

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:30 pm

I do admit some of the interiors are 'cavelike, in some case a box interior could be added, but still a lot of faffing about.

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:01 pm

0323 both Skaledale both supposedly 1:76 but the size difference is frankly immense, I did do a study and measured and measured on google earth the real thing (not height but used doors as a guide) but as you can this does not make it easy for the modeller
IMG_0323 (1).jpg

0320 amazing the 2nd edition is not always the better model either, and not all models had a second edition so anyone wanting to do Goathland had to take that into consideration if they wanted to use the original versions
IMG_0320 (2).jpg

0340 the sad lack :(
IMG_0340 (1).jpg

i could go on but no point, people can see how big the item is before they buy it, and care often is needed

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 pm

...oh and of course there is the tricksters, i wanted a particular pub, and saw it listed for sale, but had not researched it and did not realise it was the wrong pub (a much cheaper one) and someone, the seller? had relabelled :( (... made a new label and removed the original, I paid quite a lot well over the odds for the actual building, and had the wrong label for it....seller beware, PayPal took ages to admit is was not the real thing despite they sold loads of both buildings later after we nagged and nagged we got our money back. Amazingly the seller did not want their little counterfeit back.

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Jaz,

You never fail to amaze me with the quality of your work.
Just the balance of what can be truly seen and that we
expect to be there .......

Have you ever worked in theater, or graphic design ? If
not then perhaps you should have done.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Jaz wrote:even the 1:1s have this trouble LOL
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... onebox.jpg

It's a lesser spotted red phone box... WITH A PHONE IN IT!!! :o :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Its all a matter of perspective!!

10441322_10152351858334678_3323063664483423254_n.jpg
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Yep even the good old fashioned GPO had problems matching up to their previous attempts. The later boxes were smaller, the panels were thinner and the fittings were slimmed down a bit. Why? Those things were made from cast iron, even the most trimmed down version needed a special trailer to carry and place it in position. If you were planning to roll out thousands of 'em keeping the weight down was pretty important.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Jaz,

You never fail to amaze me with the quality of your work.
Just the balance of what can be truly seen and that we
expect to be there .......

Have you ever worked in theater, or graphic design ? If
not then perhaps you should have done.

Geoff T.

I did 3 years art college, inc technical drawing and house design, model making, i did the occasional building control application, and i did a couple of years in interior design, i used a vacuum machine to help a friend make a !:1 fancy dress Dalek, with straw to drink through :D on wheels so he could sit down! I took a photography course there at the same time, the old fashioned stuff where you were in a dark room, and some woodwork, and a pottery class and a jewllery class - yes yes i know that means i should be ok at soldering - but me and soldering just never got on, how i managed to make the jewlerry still amazes me lol, perhaps gold is just much easier, or the incentive to get it right is more intense :D. So I dabbled a lot, but as time went on I ended up in offices where it was a more comfortable job. One of the teacher was also a theatre designer and some perspective work with her and with the technical drawing was included,
0466 this went down well especially as the arms moved the corkscrew ´all paper 1:1
IMG_0466_2.jpg

IMG_0485 (2).jpg

1680 quick selection i should design houses easy to do, just lazy,
IMG_1680 (5).jpg

and of course my cat avatar
IMG_6341 2.jpg

oh and i sometime do the odd pencil drawing
IMG_1995.jpg

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm

4288 telephone box and post box