New layout no name yet

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
aliman

New layout no name yet

Postby aliman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi all,

you may remember me from a long time back, asking for help on layouts, 2yrs down the line, and decided to uplift everything and start again. This time with the help from junior, we decided to do a simple layout, as you can hopefully see from the pics. Some of our trains are not working, so we went to the Southend/Shoeburyness show a few weekends ago, and purchased to diesel's buy one get one half price, which I thought was a pretty good deal!, also brought a few of the New GWR carriages, not realising that the connections have changed but managed to couple them to the diesels. We have a Eurostar train which use to work, I brought new traction tyres for it, but it seems to work for 15 to 30 secs and then dies, leave it off for a few mins and it will do the same, any ideas?
Attachments
layout5.jpg
layout4.jpg
layout3.jpg
layout2.jpg
layout2.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 995 times

Montfort

Re: New layout no name yet

Postby Montfort » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:38 pm

It seems that you still have a lot of work to do. Anyway I'm following your thread with interest. :D
Back on the track !
Chris

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi aliman. Welcome back to the forum and welcome to Junior.
That middle folded loop is a great idea for interesting continuous running!! :)
May I ask what church that is?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Lovely looking church.

aliman

Postby aliman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks, yes a lot of work to do, trying to get junior (teenager) to make a decision is difficult :D :D I think the church is from the old skaledale? kits, as I have had that quite a while, we have a pub as well, but not sure on the condition of it. Trying to work out what to cover the inside track tunnel section with, polystyrene or wire mesh and paper mache like the rest of the tunnel/hill.

aliman

Postby aliman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Decided to paper mache the tunnel section, first found a piece of cardboard and help that up by wooden blocks and then used wire mesh to make the sides, just got to wait for it to dry now
Attachments
20181201_131057[1].jpg

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:45 am

This is really good stuff. That folded loop is a clever trick, I've never seen such before. The modern era rolling stock contrasts strikingly with the beautiful stone church. Well done. I shall be following the progress with great interest.

As to your locomotive running and quitting, the first thing that comes to mind is if the wheels of such are quite cleaned of oxide and grime, goes without saying track, also. Tiny tab of lubricant may be in order. I've had a few locomotives come back to life with a gentle, but thorough, cleaning of electrical pickups on the inside of wheels, as well.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

aliman

Postby aliman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Well its been a while since i last updated let alone get to work on it, was watching the david howorth you tube vids on his redesign and was really impressed with his modelling, up until then i didnt know about mod roc!!. Well i decided i didnt like the tunnel i had with the grass sheets so ripped it apart completely, and had a visit to SAT Rail my nearest local train model shop and brought all his mod roc :D . Yesterday i thought i would give it ago and see how i will fair, and i am quite impressed with it. I might now do another tunnel section on another part of the track.
Attachments
20190111_141501[1].jpg
20190111_141453[1].jpg
20190111_141442[1].jpg
20190111_141420[1].jpg

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi Aliman, did you get any joy with the Eurostar, the fault sounds like it's drawing too much current for your controller. Look for congealed muck in the axleboxes and around the motor, a thorough clean with iso-propyl alcohol (or meths) followed by a very light lubrication might make a difference. If it drives through gear towers they may need washing out (more alcohol) and applying some fresh plastic safe grease.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

aliman

Postby aliman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:58 pm

I haven't ran it since, but I gave it a lot.of lubrication when I was testing it, when I get the modelling etc finished I will have another look at, I'll keep the alcohol for myself :D :D

aliman

Postby aliman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:23 am

Well I finally had some time this weekend to work on the track again, So for the first time ever thought I would give this scenery thing a go. I had a few bags of various colours, so decided to mix black,brown, green&brown, dark green and green static grass together. I think I overdid the PVA glue but I wanted to make sure I had a good covering. I was trying to cover all of the hills, and couldn't get the grass to stick with the puffer bottle I was using. I then looked back and thought that it would make a good chalk rockface instead and that's my story and i'm sticking to it. I think I might of solved the issue with the Eurostar the power cable from the motor to the wheels seems to be very loose, so will have a go at soldering them on and see if that fixes it.
Attachments
scene5.jpg
scene4.jpg
scene3.jpg
scene2.jpg
scene1.jpg

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am

Looking better all the time. Still no name yet? The mountains look rugged, like in Wales, perhaps? Or Scotland?
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”