Metrocamel's Layout- Modern Engineers wagons - pics page 51

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.

Re: Metrocamel's new Modern image Layout Pics page 38

Postby 47806 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:56 am

Excellent progress! I haven't checked the forum for a month and you have made great progress. I really like the bridge over the yard. The focus in the one photo of the 58 with the weeds looks so real!
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

Metrocamel

Re: Metrocamel's new Modern image Layout Pics page 38

Postby Metrocamel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Not much done recently, still lacking the fuel taps for the yard meaning I can't set the plaster for the hard standing :( (The taps need pressing into the plaster).

For now though here's a few pics, 50045 having joined the DCC fleet yesterday at long last.

"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

Re: Metrocamel's new Modern image Layout Pics page 39

Postby 47806 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Good photos, have you changed the lighting in the room? The photos seems brighter than normal.

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Not intentionally. I usually take photos at night with the room lights on, as it tends to give a better effect than light through the window. These ones were taken during the day with the lights on (as I wasn't going to be in later) and so it's probably a combined effect of both.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!

Postby 47806 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:01 am

I think that the lighting is better in the latest batch.

TOM M

Postby TOM M » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:39 pm

metro therse only one problem with your layout ......... :x I DONT HAVE IT :x
your layout has evreything i want by the way love the bridge and tankers
what made yoy choose the bp tankers and not esso ,shell or texaco?
i bought 6 black shell tankers at weekend and just wondered if there is any difference between bp and shell ones?
i wish i got the bp's instead (love the coulours)
my layout
viewtopic.php?t=11560
i must admit i did it

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:37 pm

TOM M wrote:metro therse only one problem with your layout ......... :x I DONT HAVE IT :x

The TTA's I chose were the only ones I could find. Bachmann started making them a couple of years ago and some of the liveries (Shell, BP, Esso ect) are out of production :( I managed to pick up the BP ones, but only four of them :( The black ones are new out this year though aswell as some Mobil ones still to come).

I think BP was my favourite colour anyway :)

Update- Have had to put running on hold for a few days while I make the hard standing for the fuel lines :( I've been putting this job off for a while, but I guess it has to get done sometime.

The method I'm using is to layer up thin ploystyrene (the same stuff I covered the baseboards in) on the outsides of the track, level with the railheads. The space between rails is filled with Caulk and smoothed off then an old wagon run over it to cut out the wheel grooves.

Works well, but needs ALOT of filing around the inner rails to clear the track for running :shock:

Will post pics when it's looking more presentable and less like someone split icing sugar all over the layout :lol:
Layout updated 18/10/09!

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Update- have almost finished the hard standing :) Just need to wait for the part in the direction of the buffers to dry and file it out before I can test it as a full length siding.

Until then, here's a couple of pics from a day or two ago, showing part I did earlier.

Comments welcome as always :)
Layout updated 18/10/09!

Postby 47806 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:42 pm

I really like that! My track didn't look very good when I had finished filling it in, but yours is excellent.

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks, it's quite easy to actually make the concrete effect and layer up the ploystyrene but filing out the rail inner edges to give room for the wheels takes ages! :(

Update- The hard standing is down for full length now (but doesn't run trains :evil: ) I've modified a buffer stop for the end and cut out holes for the parts of the fuel tanks (taps, drains ect) that need to be flush with the surface. This part was suprisingly easy, so I might do the same for the Knightwing fuel lines when I have them.

Also printed out a sign for the siding, keeping with the petroleum Sector theme 8)

Layout updated 18/10/09!

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:49 pm

Metrocamel,

Excellent stuff! Your layout has come a long way - totally awesome. Am hoping I might be able to make similar progress in the next couple of months... I particularly like the hard-standing you created. I will also probably be asking lots of Qs about the tufts of grass you have in the track at some point!!

Great stuff,

RMG1919

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi Metro

I know that siding is but a length of track but crikey, it doesn't half look good :D I like several aspects of it: the excelent job of creating the level concreted area, the great details like the buffer stop and and the oil tanks and the fact that the siding is on a gradual curve rather than just a tight curvy bit with a straight bit on the end (Deoes that make sense, mate? :roll: )

Oh, and the sign just rounds it off perfectly. Hve you decided on the surface (colour and texture-wise I mean)?

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

davek

Postby davek » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:05 pm

That surface looks excellent! All very prototypical look.

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:56 am

How come the oil siding doesn't run trains? The flanges on the loco's are deeper than the wagon that you used to form the channel?
I agree with the others. It does look awesome, especially with the bogie tankers sat there and the camera on zoom.

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:59 am

What can i say but wow!
Love the buffers and most of all the oil tankers
Keep up the good work :wink:
Regards, Jed

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”