Metrocamel's Layout- Modern Engineers wagons - pics page 51

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:47 pm

That cardoard retaining wall looks amazingly like a concrete wall that separates the railway from a rail served scrap yard in Handsworth (Birmingham) on the old GWR Snow Hill line. You could get away with keeping it looking like that if you put in the upright 'concrete' supports. :)

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:14 pm

PTmodeller wrote:So is the graphic just in Paint?

I used Photoimpact 5 but I guess anything would do. Paint never has many fonts though. The thing about Photoimpact is it has a ruler option and u can save it as a .ufo, meaning u can still move the objects that make up the image next time u load it. If us save as a .jpg, all the boxes and bits of text mereg where they stand.

Hth :)

Zunnan- I was gonna put something over the wall to look like sandstone blocks like the ones on the line between Sunderland and Newcastle. Now though I'm thinking about making abetter one from plywood as the cardboard is a little flimsy at times.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:11 pm

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:12 pm

How will you be modelling the loading facilities?

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:56 pm

Yep just that, but mines an older one :wink:

For the loading stuff I'm not sure as I've got no good pics. I've just bought some plasic pipe and made a storage tank tho. No pics yet but it's three tanks in a triangle with struts up the sides and ladders from my Peco shed (never put them on).
Will post pics soon mate :wink:
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:25 pm

I'm about ahlfway through building a Knightwing Fuel Tank thing, like the one on Marshfield.

A little tip, if you want to give it some good texture, like layered bitumen or oil, mix some enamel and acrylic paint, then thickly dab it on the tank before giving ita black wash once it's dried. Works a treat!

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Excellent stuff - just been catching up on some of my favourite layouts. It's really great seeing the layouts come on (and to escape from the family get together for a few minutes!)

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks! Hope u can get back to ur layout soon too RMG.
I'll have to try that paint method on some wagons an' stuff. I see alot of TEA wagons on my way to College stripped of all paint and rusted bare with oil covering them. Looks great! :)

For now, here's the fuel tanks I've been working on.

The tops and hatches ain't glued on yet but u get the idea.
Layout updated 18/10/09!

davek

Postby davek » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:08 pm

Metrocamel wrote:Image
Old Rf Petroleum signpost for the TMD (which I'm changing the name of). The sign will be weathered and made to look neglected afetr the EWS takeover. Got the idea from a similar one on Wells Green TMD (great Layout!)

Here's a picture I took recently of a sign that's still in place despite the sidings have closed many years back. I hope this can be of some use to someone - I might even make up some templates for people to download if they're enough interest.

Malton Seadog

Postby Malton Seadog » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Sorry if this is obvious, but I don't have the patience to work my way back through the previous 20-odd pages!

Have you only worked on the MPD so far, without working on the station?

It's just that (so I believe) there are no more photos of the general layout lately, except for the MPD.

Thanks!
Matt

Kirton Fen

Postby Kirton Fen » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:05 am

Just caught up with the thread Liam :) Your layout is truly remarkable, the amount of detail and time put into it, is great. This thread has given me the incentive to go and work on mine :D

Look forward to more progress matey :wink:

Chris

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:07 pm

Dave- I'm sure plenty of people will want a template of that sign. I'm just glad mine isn't too far different from the real thing!

Malton Seadog- Unfortunately you're right. I've been ballasting the mainline but that's about it. The thing is that until the station is started (which it isn't) I can't position the inner track loop to line up with it. The depot is all I've done really.

Chris- Thanks a bunch mate! Inspiration at to break the inetria and start the station me thinks... (if only I had platforms... :( )
Layout updated 18/10/09!

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:25 pm

While I'm at it, here's a plan. It's not as brightly coloured or neat as the others but I've been changing my mind as many times as Lofty :wink:

The station stays the same. The little bit of space by the sidings can have some kind of industrial storage tanks or something. The tunel will be on the left side this time and ontop of it will be the main body of the petrochemicals plant.
At the other end of the tunnel is the village with a few hosues ect.
I'm also considering a non scenic board at the back. Anyone who's seen it will know how awkward it would be to store with scenery on it :wink:

I'm still (even more) undecided on the right hand side.

The only real reason it's taking so long is beacsue I've got not platforms at the moment. Without them the tracks can't be spaced and the tunnel can't be started ect.

Liam.
Layout updated 18/10/09!

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:29 pm

*Cough* Build a platform * Cough*

smitstr

Postby smitstr » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Hey,
Nice locos you got there.

Would it not be nice to have that platform and what about extending the non-scenic area, to fits a storage yard, allowing trains to 'exit' the layout and different trains/formations to 'enter'?
just a thought.

peter

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”