New bedroom 8x4 oo gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

Re: New bedroom 8x4 oo gauge layout

Postby Chops » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:58 pm

An astonishing track plan for a 4x8. I am following this thread with great interest. Keep up the great work. One question, if I may, do you have trouble getting at the back that is against the wall? :?
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Good beginnings. The kits can produce can produce some pretty reasonable results. Most importantly (I find) is just making sure youve cleaned up all the edges with a blade and sandpaper before piecing together.
If your doing something with 4 walls building yourself a little square to make sure things stay true is helpful as well. A 4 sided box... 4x house walls for example skew out of square rather easily then your stuck fixing a roof straight etc.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 pm

@chops thanks, as said before, it was designed by someone else and I think I'll diverge from it a fair bit. It's a bit of a stretch getting to the back, but I can just about do it.

@joshv8 I'm little nervous about the kit, bit annoyed opened up a new pot of glue and it was all dried up.

Well got a couple of locos for my birthday present which now need decoders.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kq8zhcJF9YYsTWXB9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2HWYacM4u6XRqzqs5

Chops

Postby Chops » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Nice locomotives. Let me know how DCC works for that Smokey Joe.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:29 pm

Will do, I've emailed 5 people so far, my first quote was £50/60 saying the chip would have to go in the cab (even if it says otherwise on the hornby site..)

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Well sadly I've not had the time to work on this that I'd like, put after building a flat pack filing cabinet at work, I decided to nap some packaging for scenery. Just ordered myself some tunnel entrances and ballast, so hopefully it will start to take shape now.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 am

I had almost forgotton how an 8 x 4 can give such a nice space to run trains on. I realize that it may not be ideal to reach things with unless one has a wide room where one can walk right round it, but it is rather nice. The only small concern would be due to any need to relocate if future needs arize, but there again, it is an issue most of us have had with permanent layouts.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks mountain, well I've pulled out at an angle so I can get to all of it (with some wiggling to get right to the far right).

All bar my merchant navy seem to be running well (which seems to struggling with the right hand upper corner, might just need a good clean).

Next thing for me to do is either find a good motor for the peco kit and look at getting a more expensive one and sneaking it in the house with the lady cutting my balls off. Build a proper bus and get a decent controller (which will either be a gauge master or power cab.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 am

Itsonlyme wrote:Will do, I've emailed 5 people so far, my first quote was £50/60 saying the chip would have to go in the cab (even if it says otherwise on the hornby site..)

There are two significant chunks of metal on the Smokey Joe footplate. Cutting off either would create space for a small decoder. The Holden tank works well enough without the footplate casting, so with the help of DCC you can sacrifice some of the weight that it adds. Mind you cutting them off might be a bit of a s**. The casting seems to be pretty poor quality metal, case hardened to get the stiffness. It will gobble its way through cutting discs or hacksaw blades.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Not to worry, I found a guy who did it for £40 including chip, runs rather well (should be interesting putting some kadees on that!).

It's really only my split chassis royal scot that needs attention now (and possibly the merchant navy). I have been eyeing up a rebuilt battle of Britain, royal observer corps, as several of family use to be members of it.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm

I did once chip a Smokey Joe type loco. I used a Lenz N gauge decoder and it fits with its wires in the chassis at the back below the body floor with no cutting or grinding etc needed.
Yes, the decoder needed hard wiring in but it worked fine. I did later remove the decoder as I wanted my 7mm narrow gauge locos to be DC for economy reasons, but I write to say they do fit if one buys a small N gauge decoder which can handle the stall current of the motor (Which is fairly low on these little locos).

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:00 pm

Well I've done a little more work on the tunnel today, so finally it's starting to look a little less like just some trains on track.

@mountain I think it's just using a standard hornby decoder, either way it's workings treat!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 am

Coming along nicely! Consider replacing the back curve of styrene in the tunnel with a few pillars of wood topped with some wooden battens, this will allow free access to the back of the hill for maintenance. :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:13 pm

Thank you! Yeah, I should of probably done that... I might have to invest In one of those dapol track cleaners...

Well a little progress today, looking a little more like a hill now!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:29 pm

That's coming along great.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”