New bedroom 8x4 oo gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Emettman

Re: New bedroom 8x4 oo gauge layout

Postby Emettman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Itsonlyme wrote:
The goods area will be adapted with a turntable and possibly shrunk a little for some extra scenery.

If the turntable is a must then the return loop can go, giving lots options for the green sidings.
If the green half loop is shrunk back a couple of inches. (the whole point cluster slides, at the top) then there is room to add scenery in the form of a raised town-scape over the two outer lines, with a retaining wall between them and the inner loop. The inner loop can be broken up by having a ramped access road from the goods area to the raised level, which the inner loop will pierce, next to the retaining wall.

As here, on an enlarged version (where I was trying for maximum carriage or DMU storage.)

84flat7.jpg

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:46 pm

What a brilliant plan. Almost makes me want to take mine down and copy yours! Only problem I have a Norman castle about where your fiddle yard is. That reverse loop is a fantastic touch, I've not seen one before worked into a 4x8. Good stuff! If space can be spared, you might want to move the table about two feet from the walls to allow easier access.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 pm

It's certainly not a must atm, I think it's one of those childhood things you kinda want and then cry when you see how much a decent one is. That's certainly a great plan. Atm I'm still getting all the bits together.

I'm going to put it on wheels to resolve that, I have to allow room for the door.

Now gotta find someone to convert the split chassis bachman to dcc.

BuffyMcBuffer

Postby BuffyMcBuffer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Itsonlyme wrote:I'm going to put it on wheels to resolve that,

great idea

****** note to self incorporate some wheels to move layout some how ************

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm

BuffyMcBuffer wrote:
****** note to self incorporate some wheels to move layout some how ************

I built one layout where the substructure was bedroom furniture on castors.
Storage and appearance dealt with in one go.

Where the layout would only need to move in one direction, to get behind it occasionally, washing machine rollers would seem like a good fix.
About £10 a pair.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Well hopefully I can get the wheels sorted out on my next day off (I've been doing a lot of overtime recently). My my rota Scott set, loads of extra track. Need to properly finish the board. I'm going to need a lot of points!

I'm still trying to figure out if I change the track to finescale as electrofrogs would make the wiring a lot easier when I convert to dcc.

Anyone know of a reasonable service for converting the split chassis bachman?

https://www.instagram.com/sanguinius168 ... 0ee1lz5zfm

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”