New bedroom 8x4 oo gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Itsonlyme

New bedroom 8x4 oo gauge layout

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Well I've been lurking on here for years, finally I've managed to get a board up (using an old bed to make the base). I've still a little work to do on the board.

Now I'm just waiting for my royal scot set I got on ebay to arrive. Its going to be a dcc layout in the long run.

Mountain

Re: New bedroom 8x4 oo gauge layout

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:28 pm

That looks exciting. It should be fun!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Well I've a hell of a lot of work to do on it, I was looking at an incline to a raised station, but I have my doubts the locos would handle it. Getting the split chassis bachman converted to dcc should be interesting. I would of liked a larger one, but I moved into the corner because my partner wants the bay window back lol.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Itsonlyme wrote:Well I've a hell of a lot of work to do on it,

You have done the hard bit ----------- by starting. Now comes the enjoyable bit.

Looking forward to see the next instalment.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

waz

Postby waz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi!
Like that Chinese chap said. "The journey of a thousand rails starts with an 8 by 4"

Have fun and don't rush at it. Good luck.

Bill.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Good to get started bud! 8x 4 is a good size. You can fit a fair amount in. Whats your plans for scenery?

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Can the layout be pulled slightly right in the photo as I doubt you'll be able to reach the back corner to keep the track clean.
Or add wheels? :idea: :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies, it's very encouraging!

Scenary wish, I'm having a rethink, I wanted a raised end terminal that hid part of the layout in a tunnel these mercenary doesn't seem to cope with much of an incline. I want a town scene and goods yard.

84modern2.jpg

Layout will probably be a tweaked version of that (I'm considering a turn table).

I've got this in the post

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2956835996

I was originally going to get finescale track, but I think what I'm fine with what I have, I'm still debating for or 5 car trains.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 pm

I like your goods area. Im guessing those are radius 1 curves on the inside? On my 8x4 Im running radius 2 and 3 and even the 2 is pretty tight with the longer coaches and engines. Yeah they work for a train set on the floor but trying to fit realistic scenery around it is challenging. Your station on the curve is a great idea and look fantastic on a curve but again, be aware it will need to be somewhat set back from the line for clearance. Im going through all this right now and when things dont quite work to plan it gets awfully frustrating. Id suggest cutting out some card and sitting it at the correct height... I think is about 18mm off the baseboard and running trains around to see

You picked up that bachmann set at a great price! And they make some really nice models to. My feelings were they definitely pulled ahead of hornby in their overall build quality but the last maybe 10 years especially hornby really stepped up their game. Im looking foward to watching you progress!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am

joshv8 wrote:I like your goods area. Im guessing those are radius 1 curves on the inside?

I drew this and no, R2 is the minimum (as are the points, of course. Using R4 and R3 as the double mainline oval limits severely what you can do with rest space, even more so if you want to step up from the setrack R2 points. The return loop here was to get the most of the sidings, rather in other variants when its main use is to turn tender engines. This version was titled "modern" thinking about non-loco hauled passenger stock which is much easier to turn around.

Your station on the curve is a great idea and look fantastic on a curve but again, be aware it will need to be somewhat set back from the line for clearance

It's on the curve because *width* is so critical and a platform along the horizontal causes design problems . Even trying to be as smooth as possible, these curves look and work much better with shorter coaches and engines which is where "modern" tends to get more difficult.
Four inches wider and R2 curves can be made to disappear.
That or go to multi levels and single track with passing loops.

The tidiest version for steam locos is this one:

84flat3.jpg

The return loop is down to the short light green section. DC or DCC it can be made automatic.

Chris,

You picked up that bachmann set at a great price! And they make some really nice models to. My feelings were they definitely pulled ahead of hornby in their overall build quality but the last maybe 10 years especially hornby really stepped up their game. Im looking foward to watching you progress!
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:17 am

Yes I imagine 3rd and 4th radius does eat up every inch of board space haha. Plans looking great though. I do quite like how both main lines access the inner loop so you can feed engines wherever you need. Well done

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 am

I didn't design it tbh, but it seemed like a good basis for a layout that will probably evolve as I get more bits. I've got plans for a 9f so I think that will have an effect on the final design.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 am

joshv8 wrote:Yes I imagine 3rd and 4th radius does eat up every inch of board space haha. Plans looking great though. I do quite like how both main lines access the inner loop so you can feed engines wherever you need. Well done

Thank you. Yes, the third loop is not intended as a running oval.
The pink half loop on the left is a bi-directional terminal road and a headshunt for the majority of the sidings. Busy. The dark green half-loop is again headshunt and to allow locos to come on to/off either end of a rake of coaches sitting at the pink track platform.
The sidings can be arranged to taste.
The two mainline ovals are as unencumbered as possible, (only one facing point on each) and the only interruption is for the red track when a pink/yellow train movement is needed. All other movements are clear of both main lines.

Chris.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 am

Itsonlyme wrote:I've got plans for a 9f so I think that will have an effect on the final design".

Big engines are popular, but on this size of layout they can't be given the coaches or wagons they deserve.
0-6-0 tender locos could handle the goods, and a 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 the passenger service...

I'll stop there as rule 1 applies: "It's my railway and I'll have i the way I want it."

Chris.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:56 am

Emettman wrote:
Itsonlyme wrote:I've got plans for a 9f so I think that will have an effect on the final design".

Big engines are popular, but on this size of layout they can't be given the coaches or wagons they deserve.
0-6-0 tender locos could handle the goods, and a 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 the passenger service...

I'll stop there as rule 1 applies: "It's my railway and I'll have i the way I want it."

Chris.

It is a shame I've been ordered into the smaller space and I can't run the larger trains. I will certainly be running some smaller engines, I do like the little tankers.

The goods area will be adapted with a turntable and possibly shrunk a little for some extra scenery.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”