Frontington & Backwoods Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lysander

Re: Frontington & Backwoods Railway

Postby Lysander » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:15 pm

When I was a chid it was advertised as being compatible with Hornby Dublo, and that was before Meccano took it over. It is perhaps just a little large though.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

minipix

Postby minipix » Sun May 05, 2019 10:37 pm

I've been pondering signals just recently. As you can read in my other post (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54243), I found the Hornby signals just too big, so I made my own using card, staples, a hole punch, felt tip pens and wooden kebab skewers. They make quite a cute family, all lined up together!

IMG_20190504_171251820.jpg

For posterity, here is a diagram of roughly where all the signals are going to go. I've had to forego the distance signals of course, but otherwise it looks like it should work pretty well with each signal box being in control of its own signals and points, if you imagine the layout split top to bottom. The eagle-eyed among you may notice that the home signals at either end of the Frontington section have shunting signals as well - that's to indicate whether the incoming train is diverting off to the siding area rather than the 'fast' line of the platform. I think technically this was more frequently indicated with a smaller semaphore signal, but I understand it was sometimes done with ground signals too. Rule #1: it's my railway and I'll do what I want.

Frontington signals.jpg

Speaking of signal boxes, I said "both". Actually I only had one before, looking after Frontington Station. But with these signals planned (and mostly made) it became clear that I would actually need a second signal box at Backwoods Station. As luck would have it, I had actually started making a signal box some time ago out of card, and it's been sat unfinished on a shelf collecting dust. So this weekend I finished it off, and apart from some dodgy window pane drawing (because I foolishly mounted the glass before marking the white lines), I think it looks pretty good. Sadly you can't see the wonderful staircase once its on the layout, because it's round the back - I had originally designed it as a replacement for the Frontington signal box, but it felt too small, but for Backwoods it's ideal.

IMG_20190504_171315679.jpg

IMG_20190504_171356890.jpg

IMG_20190504_204627400.jpg
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

minipix

Postby minipix » Sun May 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Here are a couple more photos of the signals in situ.

First, here is my J94 waiting at Frontington Station. You can see the newly installed starting signal at stop (these are moveable by hand).

IMG_20190504_203606394.jpg

And here's a view towards the other end of Frontington Station, as the J94 passes the home signal (you can just make out the rear of the signal against the houses in the background) and approaches the level crossing next to the signal box and the beginning of the platform. In the blurry foreground you can just make out a double ground signal and in the mid-distance another single ground signal.

IMG_20190504_203845562.jpg
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon May 06, 2019 12:15 am

Very nice. Signalling is much easier if one has a simple track plan to begin with. My last 00 gauge layout was so complicated and such a tight squeeze I started to look at signals and found I didn't have the space let alone trying to work out where to put the signals to match the track plan. If I had not been so adventurous I would have managed it. :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”