8x4 roundy round- Lemmington - minor update page 14

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dublo

Re: 8x4 roundy round- Lemmington - minor update page 14

Postby Dublo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:28 am

Hi Josh
I think your accidental backscenes have added an extra dimension to your layout. They have certainly added to Lemmington, in a very positive way. Little Weldon is also populated with repainted Chinese people, sheep and some trees. It's the little details which help to bring the scene to life. This fantastic layout just gets better and better.

heda

Postby heda » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:08 am

Excellent work, the backscenes blend in perfectly. I use Chinese figures for my modeling, once repainted they look fine.
Dave

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 am

I use Chinese figures for my modeling

They are cheap and cheerful and look ok as long as you keep them away from Dapol/ex Airfix specimens which are 1/72nd and even make 4mm scale people look short.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Dublo wrote:Hi Josh
I think your accidental backscenes have added an extra dimension to your layout. They have certainly added to Lemmington, in a very positive way. Little Weldon is also populated with repainted Chinese people, sheep and some trees. It's the little details which help to bring the scene to life. This fantastic layout just gets better and better.

Thanks Dublo. I need to take a page from Little Weldon and add some people along the footpath in front of the shops. And hopefully once I get a chance to try and tie a few things in with the backscenes they will work much better again. What I do like about the backscenes is they allow a perception of depth, especially if your focused on objects in the foreground

Dave, Thank you. Too bad the chinese figures dont have a bit more variety in poses and the such. Still as you state will look fine repainted. I dont think these are painted poorly, just used the colour pallet of a 5yr old haha

Bufferstop any reason why the airfix items were molded in 1:72?

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Hello Josh
I just keep on having to have a look at the Lord Oliver what a fantastic photo. I can just imagine a foaming pint of ale sitting there for me. I take my hat off to you.

Chops

Postby Chops » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:00 am

Always fine to see this gem of a layout.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Dublo wrote:Hello Josh
I just keep on having to have a look at the Lord Oliver what a fantastic photo. I can just imagine a foaming pint of ale sitting there for me. I take my hat off to you.

Thanks mate! And you to chops.
We have had an odd couple of months. Starting with me back on 6 day weeks with no end of private jobs outside of work, extra training for work. The dragon's doing her masters degree which chews up copious amounts of time. And some sad news of my grandfather having a diagnosis of bone marrow cancer, he has been on a constant swing in and out of hospital with the chemo causing various infections. So Ive had numerous hospital visits and to top it off theyre starting to struggle paying medical bills. He has vintage metal working equipment he needs to sell so I have been getting my kingswood (classic australian car for those not familiar) ready for sale to purchase pieces from him. Ive finally finished a diff center re shim so shes ready to move along.
Between all this and a family event here at home Lemmington got stored to make some room, a re arrange of the shed should see things rolling again soon however. Young Master William is ready to run some trains after all!
Once the kingswood goes it opens me up quite a bit more space, and whilst I have plans to build a vintage speeder based on 1928 Chevrolet, I think Lemmington is so close to completion we can look at our next model railway project.
The modelling itch hasnt died however and with Lemmington not up front to work on I managed a few hours to build one of Airfix's later offerings in the shape of a 1/48 P40 while William sat with me and took a keen interest in its progression. Ill have to buy him a starter kit soon I think. Anyway, here's some shots of the P40 so it looks like I did something!
20190901_081458-800x600.jpg

20190901_081745-800x600.jpg

20190901_081112-800x600.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 pm

I like that. Very good. :)

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:54 am

Hi Josh
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, I hope that the medical teams will make it as easy for him as possible. I can understand your desire to help financially with the purchase of his tools. Having space available for your future railway is good. I completely get young Williams desire to run some trains that happens to me too. Your P40 is looking very nice, have you any further plans for it? I was around his age when I started down the Airfix road, indeed I do have a Spitfire waiting in its box under the layout.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Dublo wrote:Hi Josh
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, I hope that the medical teams will make it as easy for him as possible. I can understand your desire to help financially with the purchase of his tools. Having space available for your future railway is good. I completely get young Williams desire to run some trains that happens to me too. Your P40 is looking very nice, have you any further plans for it? I was around his age when I started down the Airfix road, indeed I do have a Spitfire waiting in its box under the layout.

Thanks for the kind comments, things will smooth back out, before I know it we will have christmas time again and I can enjoy a 3 week break! Ill have to be prepared for some hobby time.

The p40 I fitted with an electric motor so the prop spins. Id like to fit it to a base for display. A spitfire would be fun! You will have to show some pictures if the build eventuates Dublo! I dont know if it was ever visible in any photos but hanging above Lemmington was a print of Barrie Clarks lovely painted Spitfire. A fantastic piece of art.
Josh

Chops

Postby Chops » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 am

Fascinating bit of aviation modeling.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”