8x4 roundy round- Lemmington - minor update page 14

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4053
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 pm

It is nice. A really good combination of railway and scenery in such a way that it will draw the eye away from thinking "Oval" as the river will trick the mind into using it as a scenic break

User avatar
Montfort
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 am

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby Montfort » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:14 am

Can I suggest something? Two other points will give you many more possibilities. Just a personal idea.

20181001_150323-800x450.jpg
Back on the track !
Chris

User avatar
joshv8
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby joshv8 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:48 am

Montfort wrote:Can I suggest something? Two other points will give you many more possibilities. Just a personal idea.

20181001_150323-800x450.jpg


I had a look through my handy dandy track box and I have a pair of short lh turnouts to match the rh ones already installed. I also have a pair of long lh express turnouts. My fear with the short turnouts at the far end of the station area is engines and coaches fowling on the platforms. The other area I could possibly run the switch would be coming off the viaduct. Its nice to keep all the turnouts at the station side though.

What are your thoughts? Am I perhaps overthinking the clearance issue?

Also I have quite a number of point motors but wasnt going to run them. I felt it added operating interest for the young feller to move around and manually switch the tracks??

b308
Posts: 4948
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: North Worcs

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby b308 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 am

It depends on what you are using the crossover for. If it's just for freight then 4 wheel wagons would be fine.If you are just using the crossover to swap trains between the inner and outer circuits then one is quite sufficient.

BTW that crossover at the other end is a "facing" crossover, many railway companies (especially the Midland) used to go out of their way to avoid facing points due to thoughts of derailments! Though in model form even though it looks good reversing a train over a crossover we tend to have more derailments caused by that so perhaps keep it like it is!!

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4053
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:28 am

Wasn't just the Midland, though they had had far more accidents then most other companies so maybe they had to tighten up. I think it was a general railway safety rule. However, within a station throat they would have facing crossovers and they would put a reduced speed limit instead. What would work better is to add a crossover after the bend near the bridge instead to give the same effect. Often on the real railways they would position points further out if a line side feature would be in the way.
Manual turnouts and signalling is a good idea. A couple of makes are out there but one is very expensive. Gem (If you can still get them) do some interesting equipment for use with 00 gauge.
I opted to make my own levers and guide wheels etc., though you may need to bring some wood to the surface to do this as they need to be supported on a solid material.
Others use bicycle spokes. (I have plenty of old spokes spare if you need any). A bicycle spoke threading tool can come in handy if you are like me and have been a bicycle mechanic. (Its a sure way to know if you have a real bicycle mechanic or not. If they use or have used spoke threaders, and can build wheels, fit helicoil inserts into crank arms etc).
Bicycle spokes can be used with electrical block connectors or other ways like sharing the spoke nipple if one has threaded both ends. If buying bicycle spokes avoid stainless steel spokes as they can't be roller threaded. (They will knacker the tool up). Get ordinary cheaper spokes. Best way is to find an old scrap bicycle wheel. You should have enough for two or three layouts worth there!
Photos show my homemade set of point levers.
Attachments
IMG_20180330_134107_784.JPG
IMG_20180330_134107_784.JPG (36.8 KiB) Viewed 905 times
IMG_20171118_165426.jpg

User avatar
luckymucklebackit
Posts: 3326
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:05 am
Location: Troon - where the Duchesses went to die
Contact:

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:46 am

I refer you to the following document M'Lud :D

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docume ... ts1902.pdf

Page 6 sets out the requirements for Facing Points Locks

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Image

User avatar
joshv8
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby joshv8 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:30 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:I refer you to the following document M'Lud :D

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docume ... ts1902.pdf

Page 6 sets out the requirements for Facing Points Locks

Jim


Wherever did you find that?! What fantastic reading. So I seem to be ok with the facing points as long as theyre with 180 yards from the , in my case, signal box. Thanks for sharing!

User avatar
joshv8
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby joshv8 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:34 pm

b308 wrote:It depends on what you are using the crossover for. If it's just for freight then 4 wheel wagons would be fine.If you are just using the crossover to swap trains between the inner and outer circuits then one is quite sufficient.

BTW that crossover at the other end is a "facing" crossover, many railway companies (especially the Midland) used to go out of their way to avoid facing points due to thoughts of derailments! Though in model form even though it looks good reversing a train over a crossover we tend to have more derailments caused by that so perhaps keep it like it is!!


Yes derailments are something to definitely be avoided Haha. I think your right, it may be better just left alone. It does save me the hassle of extra wiring and cutting in the new points anyhow. And I do like the idea of operating the layout as prototypically as possible.

User avatar
joshv8
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby joshv8 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Mountain wrote:Wasn't just the Midland, though they had had far more accidents then most other companies so maybe they had to tighten up. I think it was a general railway safety rule. However, within a station throat they would have facing crossovers and they would put a reduced speed limit instead. What would work better is to add a crossover after the bend near the bridge instead to give the same effect. Often on the real railways they would position points further out if a line side feature would be in the way.
Manual turnouts and signalling is a good idea. A couple of makes are out there but one is very expensive. Gem (If you can still get them) do some interesting equipment for use with 00 gauge.
I opted to make my own levers and guide wheels etc., though you may need to bring some wood to the surface to do this as they need to be supported on a solid material.
Others use bicycle spokes. (I have plenty of old spokes spare if you need any). A bicycle spoke threading tool can come in handy if you are like me and have been a bicycle mechanic. (Its a sure way to know if you have a real bicycle mechanic or not. If they use or have used spoke threaders, and can build wheels, fit helicoil inserts into crank arms etc).
Bicycle spokes can be used with electrical block connectors or other ways like sharing the spoke nipple if one has threaded both ends. If buying bicycle spokes avoid stainless steel spokes as they can't be roller threaded. (They will knacker the tool up). Get ordinary cheaper spokes. Best way is to find an old scrap bicycle wheel. You should have enough for two or three layouts worth there!
Photos show my homemade set of point levers.



I quite like your home made levers! Its a good idea. I see how this could work using spokes. I suppose I could actually wire this up under the board and bend and poke the wire up into the switch... like you would a point motor?
I havent had much to do with bicycles, my experience is all in cars. I do have a friend who builds high end mountain bikes though so I might see what hes got laying around!

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4053
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:45 pm

My point levers are used with fishing twine, but if one gets ordinary spokes one can flatten the ends and then drill trough the flattened ends. This could be useful.

b308
Posts: 4948
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: North Worcs

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby b308 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:48 pm

You can also use rail if the run is straight (bullhead is best) set into the top of the board and linked with a DPDT slider switch at the end to switch the frog polarity (my favourite way of controlling live frog points), or there are various makes of "wire in the tube" products if you want to go professional!

User avatar
Bufferstop
Posts: 11595
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: Bottom end of N. Warks line

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Bicycle spokes are a bit heavyweight for my liking. I found some magazine binders which had stiff plastic covered wire rods to hold in the magazines, 13 to each folder (it must have had a yearly index) Combined with the use of the brass bits from choc block connectors, straightened paperclips to couple to tiebars and mapping pins for knobs they made excellent push rods and I still have quite a few left over.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4053
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:27 pm

With the bicycle spoke method one doesn't need point levers as it is a simple case of the spokes going through holes in the side of the frame of the baseboards.

User avatar
Montfort
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 am

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby Montfort » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:38 pm

joshv8 wrote:What are your thoughts ?
Something like that:
Sans titre.jpg

Hope that helps...
Back on the track !
Chris

User avatar
joshv8
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia.

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby joshv8 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:28 am

I have my work cut out getting my head around points and mechanisms haha. I will definetely come up with something. I was thinking of using a steel rod method for thesets of points up at the goods end and can mostly run a flexible throttle cable from there to the points up the other end for the run around.

While im working everything out on that side of the layout, i trimmed the foam out for the river. Ive started making the support for the viaduct in the middle of the water. On the far side of the river will just be a gradual bank up to the line. Im still working out exactly what to model on this closer side.
cameringo_20181002_184452-800x450.jpg


Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests