8x4 roundy round- Lemmington - minor update page 14

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
alan_r

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby alan_r » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Good to see the nice large access hole to the side. I guess with this being OO, you have much better access. Mine is n-gauge, so no chance of getting my hand into a tunnel, hence I had to go down the route of a lift-off top.
I like the look of your bridge and river. I found it made a very convincing contour for mine too, so I'm looking forward to seeing yours finished :) .
I too find the snowstorm of carving is messy and static electricity seems to make the beads stick to me! I wait until the wife has gone out before quickly doing my carving before she gets back!!! :wink: :lol: I have plenty of polystyrene left so will use it up. It certainly is cheap compared to other types of foam/insulation boards, though in the back of my mind is the potential consequences of fire, so I will seriously consider other types of foam next time around. It might be more expensive, but perhaps safer and less messy?
So far though, I've found it is ideal for realistic carving of a landscape, creating large contours and makes my lift-off modules very light. In fact the track ballast makes a noticeable difference to the weight of the pieces.
To smooth the surface I simply cover with lightweight decorating filler using a pallet knife and/or fingers for areas I want smooth. Other times I actually pick away at the polystyrene to create a very rough surface that once sealed with thick coats of brown paint then gives a nice natural rough ground look. Nature isn't always smooth, and divots and dips help add to the realism, so maybe consider just painting direct and applying scatter, without any paper towel/pva?
One big plus I found was to plant your trees, you just push them into the layout - no drill required. Also when installing fencing, again you should be able to push the posts into the ground after breaking the scatter skin, which makes fitting them SO easy! :D Looking forward to seeing more pictures!
Alan

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 am

One of my favorite layouts I've seen. Having such a large river as the center piece of the layout is a bold, and engaging, move. I distinctly recall being pushed off the edge of a punt into the River Thames as a young child by my older brother. Quite cold, really, don't recommend it much for a swim.
Nessie rocks!

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Chops wrote:One of my favorite layouts I've seen. Having such a large river as the center piece of the layout is a bold, and engaging, move. I distinctly recall being pushed off the edge of a punt into the River Thames as a young child by my older brother. Quite cold, really, don't recommend it much for a swim.

Thanks for the kind words chops. I would have thought the cold was the least of your concerns falling into the thames haha.

Alan I hope to have more progress pics soon. Ive been messing around with toilet papering areas and most recently creating the road through town which stretches the length of the layout. Ive found this all quite time consuming or little visual change so havent found it worth while posting photos .
Ive been creating the road from plaster. The flat areas are easy but coming up over the hill and creating the crossing on the opposite end of the layout has taken multiple skims and plenty of time to dry out. I was going to use the emery paper method but didnt want the joins so plaster it was.

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:39 am

Yes, well I was quite young then, and my larger concern was drowning or being devoured by eels. To my great relief, neither happened. :P
Nessie rocks!

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Figuring it was time for an update.
Weve been busy laying toilet paper and pva mix over the polystyrene, or plaster... doesnt photograph overly well though. This stage is about %95 complete.
The roads been constructed in plaster and painted although Im wondering if I need to address either the colour or the sidewalk colour. The sidewalk was significantly lighter however after weathering darkened to a very similar tone as the road. The road has defined edges although as ive sprayed it, they're a little hard to see in the photos.
Ive just got the level crossing gates sitting there at present to give an idea.

Next steps to sort out the river area and fix and finish around the tunnel entrance at the viaduct. Then finalise the wiring.

After christmas will look at ballasting and the rest of the scenery. For the moment we can pretend its snow covered anyhow :D
cameringo_20181212_205037-800x450.jpg

cameringo_20181212_205403-800x450.jpg

cameringo_20181212_205731-800x450.jpg

cameringo_20181212_205135-800x450.jpg

20181212_224200-800x450.jpg

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Hello Josh
This is looking really good now that the landscaping is taking shape. The Guv'nor seems happy with progress. How about a couple of sleigh marks in the snow and one of two snowmen. Just to give that seasonal flourish.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Dublo wrote:Hello Josh
This is looking really good now that the landscaping is taking shape. The Guv'nor seems happy with progress. How about a couple of sleigh marks in the snow and one of two snowmen. Just to give that seasonal flourish.

Ill put that on my to do list before chrissy haha

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:12 pm

It looks great! I do like your use of contours (levels), I bet the little one is chuffed to bits! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 pm

This is really looking great, loving it.

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 pm

great progress Josh. :wink:

It's gonna be a great layout and I'm looking forward to seeing it progressing.
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:33 pm

I love how simple yet effective this layout is, looking really good!

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 am

That smile says it all. :mrgreen:
Looking forward to seeing this develop. I'm already liking the contours. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Young William's been constantly reminding me how excited he is hahaha. Its fantastic when we here at home and others can take some joy from the progress.

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:48 am

Good stuff!
Nessie rocks!

manna

Postby manna » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:27 pm

G'Day Gents

You could always go with a snow (winter) layout.

manna
Attachments
DSCF0094.JPG
DSCF0121.JPG
DSCF0079.JPG
DSCF0058.JPG
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”