8x4 roundy round

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshv8

8x4 roundy round

Postby joshv8 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi everyone. I jump on here and browse round from time to time but apart from some table time I havent had much of a chance for the hobby in quite some years. I began building a layout years ago and shared some posts here but a house purchase and move then having a youngin, and another, then another, really put a dampener on things haha.
My first born, William, is about to turn 5, which is the same age I started playing trains with my dad so I figured its time to build a simple layout to introduce him a bit more strongly to the hobby. We have some bachmann thomas stock to run for him.and I have quite a few hornby LNER locos in storage I can run.

cameringo_20180915_231607-800x450.jpg

Ive settled on a pretty simple track design. 2 loops with a run around on the outside which doubles as a shunt to a goods shed and siding. Ive been on this a few weeks now so things have progressed a little further than seen here. The baseboards cut to allow for the bridge. Ive strongly based the scenery on a few layouts on the scenic model railways website.
On the left side will be a twin platform station, a small run of town shops and a road leading through up over a hill towards the front of the picture. This allows a tunnelled section. On the right will be a viaduct, small valley etc. I want to make it as visually interesting for the young lad as possible. I hope a few of you here can enjoy my journey with me!

Montfort

Re: 8x4 roundy round

Postby Montfort » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Good start. Keep us posted. Thanks.
Remember: model railroading can become contagious. So be careful...

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:39 pm

My first priority was to build the viaduct. In the initial photo I sized things up with a wills kit I built years ago but its been broken in house move, storage etc.
Now Im fortunate enough to do basic design work in corel draw and I own a laser cutter so using the wills viaduct as a prototype I designed 2 basic sides. Bricks are easier to draw then stone blocks so that aspect was changed and this is what I got...
cameringo_20180923_111040-800x450.jpg

I then added detailing
cameringo_20180927_225318-800x450.jpg

cameringo_20180927_225155-800x450.jpg

Then a coat if grey. I need to begin weathering now.
cameringo_20180928_060938-800x450.jpg

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I know its not all going to be perfect, I just want it to basically look the part :)

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Its a nice viaduct. Hope your son enjoys railway modelling with his dad. Its a great way to have some quality family time.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Very nice!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:29 am

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Long weekend so Im finding a bit of time to play here and there. Ive been on this project for about 4 weeks now but hope to continue at a steady pace. Im strongly wanting to get the tracks in place and wired so se can run a few trains.
First I need to finalise the bridges in place so I have a solid foundation. Im happy with the viaduct.
Thanks to advice from Bufferstop I think Ive got the girder bridge sides dummied up ok. What are people thoughts here? Would another type of bridge work better here? Or am I on a solid track?

20180930_113141-800x450.jpg

20180930_113229-800x450.jpg

cameringo_20180930_090953-800x450.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 am

Your bridges are excellent. Is the base of the long card one strong or will it need a little support. Ive not bought the Metcalfe bridge kit myself so it is just a small thought.
Only thing is to ensure that long trains with overhang dont hit the sides of the smaller bridge, and that the insides of long coaches dont hit the other side of the bridge if the tracks are moved.
It looks a very good base to work with, especially as you have different heights to the layout. I think it is all going to work out well.
Another small precaution to mention is that with some (Not all) polystyrene sheets have been known to react with the coating on electrical wire and melt the wire. Most of today's wire is now made to prevent this. As a precaution just put something between the two when you lay your wires down. (Some may disagree with me here, but it is better to be safe and it doesn't take a lot to seperate them in the early stages of construction).
I think your rivers going to look ace and bring the whole layout to life.
You have done well to do so much in 4 weeks. I keep thinking "I must work on my layout" but often get sidetracked. I'll get there eventually!

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:33 am

Mountain wrote:Your bridges are excellent. Is the base of the long card one strong or will it need a little support. Ive not bought the Metcalfe bridge kit myself so it is just a small thought.
Only thing is to ensure that long trains with overhang dont hit the sides of the smaller bridge, and that the insides of long coaches dont hit the other side of the bridge if the tracks are moved.
It looks a very good base to work with, especially as you have different heights to the layout. I think it is all going to work out well.
Another small precaution to mention is that with some (Not all) polystyrene sheets have been known to react with the coating on electrical wire and melt the wire. Most of today's wire is now made to prevent this. As a precaution just put something between the two when you lay your wires down. (Some may disagree with me here, but it is better to be safe and it doesn't take a lot to seperate them in the early stages of construction).
I think your rivers going to look ace and bring the whole layout to life.
You have done well to do so much in 4 weeks. I keep thinking "I must work on my layout" but often get sidetracked. I'll get there eventually!

Thats fantastic info on the wiring I didnt know. Thankyou. I will shield the wiring. I know some people dont quite favour the polystyrene method these days but I find it quite inexpensive, lightweight and effective. I paid $60 aus for 8 sheets at 1200x1200. And its going to be way too much. I imagine could probably have gotten away with 4. It will be an interesting exercise to see what I use in the end.

As for the bridges I laser cut the long viaduct from 3mm plywood. The center rail section Ive doubled up so its 6mm. It doesnt weight much and is as solid as a rock. I used 500 gsm card just to add in the arch curves underneath and the 3 dimensional detailing, so structurally its totally wooden. Ill have a play tonight and start drawing the supports for the girder bridge. They will be simple though.

I put an express coach on the curve for the girder bridge and it clears with a fair amount of room, thanks for the advice. It looks a little wide to be prototypical to me but thats the downside of setrack curves I suppose.

I had maybe 5 hours building the board initially with the lowered section and Ive been working on it here and there of an evening or before work. My brain seems to work quickly through the more basic tasks like making the board, putting foam down etc and Ill keep pushing hard on it but once the tracks down and wired and the polystyrene landscapes sealed I know doing the final flock and scenic items are really going to take me time...
. My wife tells me Im too particular haha

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:07 am

Nothing wrong with using polystyrene as it is a useful material. As long as we ensure we adjust our engineering principles to make best use of the material, and as long as we ensure that it is safe then all will work beautifully, or that's the plan.
Some have made portable layouts entirely from the material, but to me that is not the best plan. A thin wooden frame as a base structure is a better ideamfor those going down that route.
Potential fire risk is naturally associated with the material, but as long as one is sensible it isn't an issue. Many model railway materials have potential in this way. One of the most highly flammable materials I've heard of is wire wool used for trees. It makes lovely trees BUT is very flammable (Believe it or not!) and flakes or pieces can get wedged in checkrails without tripping overload cutouts and glows red. I've had it myself years ago when I made a silly decision on using wire wool to shift a stubborn stain on the track.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Mountain wrote:One of the most highly flammable materials I've heard of is wire wool used for trees. It makes lovely trees BUT is very flammable (Believe it or not!) and flakes or pieces can get wedged in checkrails without tripping overload cutouts and glows red. I've had it myself years ago when I made a silly decision on using wire wool to shift a stubborn stain on the track.

I had never heard of using wire wool for trees but now you mention it I see Ive been looking at them on layouts for years and always wondered how they managed the effect. Ot led me to go watch a few videos and read some articles. Learning to further in this hobby is one of the most enjoyable parts!

But no, lets not have any fires. I wonder if its causing an arc and sparking thats the fire hazard. Surely the product itself isnt flammable?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 pm

The product in itself is highly flammable. I dont know why. It just is. No doubt there will be footage on YouTube showing this.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:44 am

I managed a couple of hours today to get the basic track plan laid down. I had to rework my plans for the goods shed area but I think it works ok. The siding could double in the future as a provision for an extension or simply a staging area... perhaps a small end to end layout.

The curve on the run around loop turned out a bit wider than I expected so its going to take the platform out to 100mm which should still be prototypical for an island platform I believe?

Im just wiring this the old fashioned way and the plan will be to have a controller on each track of the main line plus a switchable 3rd for the run around and goods shed allowing shunting while engines run around. Ill wire it in on a bus still where as wires can be simply joined in one location to make it work for dcc if ever needed.

Some thoughts on the track plan and comments would be great!
20181001_150323-800x450.jpg

cameringo_20181001_145402-800x450.jpg

cameringo_20181001_145649-800x450.jpg

And Im pretty happy with the viaduct after some weathering :)

20181001_150151-800x450.jpg

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:40 pm

That viaduct looks brilliant! :D
I wish I had your skills and tools.

I also have that same goods shed and have made a removable internal platform / lighting rig for it.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48176&p=614380&hilit=goods#p614339
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

BuffyMcBuffer

Postby BuffyMcBuffer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Looks really good, not gone over the top with track just a nice simple design, look better once you get the scenery down as well,

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:02 pm

End2end wrote:That viaduct looks brilliant! :D
I wish I had your skills and tools.

I also have that same goods shed and have made a removable internal platform / lighting rig for it.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48176&p=614380&hilit=goods#p614339
Thanks
End2end

Thanks! That interior platform you built does look very good. I think I will have to play with that extra bit of realism as I go along, rather than just plonk buildings on. Im enjoying reading through your thread now.

BuffyMcBuffer wrote:Looks really good, not gone over the top with track just a nice simple design, look better once you get the scenery down as well,

Thankyou I really look foward to getting the scenery down, but at the same time dread getting the details in my head to make sense in application. Im glad everyone feels its a sound beginning. It gives me a bit more confidence moving foward with it.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”