Acton North (N)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
actonnorth

Re: Acton North (N)

Postby actonnorth » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Quick update:

The Amtrak genesis and coach set arrived yesterday:

The first 2 coaches in the rake are not prototypical for running, but this is where the baggage cars will eventually sit, so, they make a good stand in for now. The first superliner in the rake is also the transition coach eluded into in the previous post. Very happy with this set. I just need to add the detailing pack and DCC chip to the Genesis, and the set will be ready to go.

This is the ‘s curve’ viewed from the other side. As you can see, all 3 lines are in situ along with the head shunt. The curve around to the left in the background is the station and off to the beach scene.

Just a shot of my current and only 2 trains, because, well, why not.

So, this is the station area and ‘abandoned’ line. Here’s what I intend to do.
I’m going to get sheets of balsa wood and fill the board each side of the line in the foreground. I will then add strips to the track too before building the scene around it. The bit in the middle will be a ‘Street running’ scene, similar to ‘La Grange’ in Kentucky. The end of the line will house a factory to which the odd box car may get shunted to, to load up. The other end will have a small grassy scene before joining the main line once more. It should look quite good once all built up.

Anyway, hope you enjoy, feedback always welcome.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:33 pm

They're looking really good. The American freight trains winding through the countryside have a charm of their own I think.

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 am

Coming along quite well, if I may say. I recall a short "dog" train hauled by an old EMD switcher shuttling down Beach Street in Santa Cruz back around 1977. Not unusual at all for a few places to have a train rolling through the middle of town, or through broken down industrial areas, either. Great idea.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:04 pm

We have power!

https://youtu.be/O3kOnOaRfNI

This is a DC test of the layout as I’m still configuring the DCC element. But, it’s great to have running trains at last.

The full loop:

https://youtu.be/l-apxHXfrGA

(Apologies for non scale and non prototypical appearance. Also random background noise but it’s to get the general gist).

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Great video, the gentle arcing of the coaches passing through the curves is most enjoyable.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:29 am

Weekly update:

-laid one track of the hidden fiddle yard. I need to slightly adjust one side however, as the corner is slightly too tight and there are 2 individual coaches that can’t quite make the corner. And for flexibility and the fact the yard is hidden, I’m making a policy that either all coaches make it or it gets adjusted.

-I’ve finished the base coat of the main canyon scene.im going to experiment with colours to try and get the best one that matches. I do need to get a few more pieces of polystyrene to finish each end too. I’ve ordered 80 pine trees to start building up the scene too.

-I’ve had some sheets of balsa wood and 2 more buildings arrive for my urban scene. I aim to start building this up soon.

The next update is likely to be after Christmas now. That way there should be a few things to update and a new train to run on the layout too. Merry Christmas everyone.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Time for another update.

I’ve been mostly working on the town and beach scene, and compared to the last picture of where my town scene will be, the difference is quite stark!

As you can see the scene has started to build up nicely. This area encorportates a ‘street running’ section which will be rarely used, but, when it does get used, will look quite special. The next steps for this section are:

-wire up the street lights
-properly plant in the palm trees
-add lower relief buildings the the front of the scene and continue to build up the scene behind, this will really give it the build up effect.
-pain the grey buildings, as well as properly build up the factory.
-add an overgrown detailing to the track between the factory and the street running section
-add lighting to the station platforms and inside the buildings
-add greenery and trees to the section between the factory, station and beach scene.

Looking down one of the streets:

The beach area:

This area is thankfully coming out almost exactly as I imagined it. There is a small car park at the top of the cliff, accessed over a level crossing. The cliffs are palm lined and will also have some shrubbery added in due course.
The bottom of the cliff will contain the beach and sea. Behind the tracks will be a line of buildings and road, as well as some more hills at the left of the images. Lots more to do there but will all come in time.

Next steps for the layout in general:

-continue the DCC wiring
-add the other 3 lines to the fiddle yard
-add a wooden partition in front of the fiddle for a backscene to be affixed.
-re-do a small section of the canyon scene. The paper mache hasn’t taken properly and is creased. I wouldn’t mind the odd one or 2, but the amount in the middle is just ridiculous. I also need to complete a small section of the polystyrene at the far end of the canyon.

That’s all for now, happy new year and thanks for reading,

actonnorth

San Clemente (N)

Postby actonnorth » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Evening all.

Not uodated in a while, but, San Clemente is still going.

These are the latest bits done:

The foreground town scene:

The new level crossing:

In terms of ‘behind the scenes’:

-DCC wiring almost complete
-point motors on fiddle years almost all wired up and installed
-most of the town streetlights are lit.

Next steps:

-Continue to build up the town scene.
-add DCC decoders to my amtrack and CSX locos
-once townscene built up, move along to beach scene.

Have a good evening!

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 am

Looking exceptionally well executed.

actonnorth

San Clemente

Postby actonnorth » Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi everyone, time for an update on what’s been going on at San Clemente.

1) the beach scene

As you can see, progress is being made here. The basis for the sea has been started, and have the colours in mind for completing that sea.
I’m also going to be changing the colours of the cliffs, to a more dark sandstone colour, as not completely happy with the rather beige colour they currently are (its a big learning curve for me).

I also decided to change the back of the scene. It was originally going to be a road running alongside the tracks, with a freeway cutting the corner and buildings right along the back wall. As you can see, I’ve decided to build up the corner to incorporate more cliffs and on top of those cliffs will be villas with pools, a small road etc. The cliffs themselves will have bushes clinging to them and look as rugged as I can manage. To the left of those cliffs will be a ‘burnt grass’ open plain type area. To the right, there will be some buildings along the back wall on the road leading to a level crossing and the small car park you see.
I’ve brought some flashing light railroad crossing signs for this crossing, sand for the beach and lots of palm trees (that are yet to find their final positions!)

2) The urban scene

Starting to build up here.

The foreground next to the tracks is almost done to where I want it to be. I need to finish the warehouse area (decided to scratch build here), some buildings right at the back, painting the road and add the street lights (awaiting delivery) and the traffic lights. I’m also in the market for some US tractor trailer trucks, but are very hard to get in the U.K. so keeping my eye out.
The very foreground will be the TMD, to which I’m still not sure how it’s going to look so not started it yet.

3) the desert scene

As you can guess, this will be the most basic scene when it comes to the wow factor, but, one area I wanted to incorporate. It needs a few bits like signals, plants, the odd abandoned building, but, it’s starting to take shape. I do need a desert backscene, and behind the white boards is the fiddle yard. Quite happy with myself as I’ve got all the points wired up and working. May be a basic skill for some but quite impressesed I’ve been able to do it.

So, next steps:

I’m going to the Derby model rail show on 11th as there’s is a trader called ‘Plus daughters’ who will be brilliant at building up some much needed US supplies.
I’ve also go a new 12V adaptor module coming to power the several aspects of the railway, such as lights, points and signals.

Apart from that, chipping away at the job site bit by bit, hope you enjoy.

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:02 am

A little theme music for your marvelous layout:

https://youtu.be/WwnLt6b7YHk

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”