Acton North (N)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

Re: Acton North (N)

Postby Chops » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:42 am

Marvelous!
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 am

I am looking forward to seeing this develop, the size of this layout is going to be a lovely project in N gauge

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:11 pm

San Clemente it is! The late President Richard Nixon hailed from San Clemente.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Just a small amount of progress over the past few days.

This area will hold a (hidden) fiddle yard at the back, a backscene and a small desert type area. The points will lead to a small oil depot with a siding that leads to the right.

This area is to the left of the last image. There will be a TMD and sidings in the foreground, 2 track continuation of the main loop, and a single track to the rear that will enter the fiddle yard. There will also be a raised freeway running front to back to the left of the image (to hide the entrance to the fiddle as well as act like a scene break).

An image to give a general overview of the back of the layout where the previous 2 images were taken. The canyon scene can be seen to the right.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm

The canyon area with the superliner in situ to give an idea of the scale.

So, next jobs:

-Buy 2 more sets of points and track to finish the oil sidings.
-a ‘long left’ point to connect into the fiddle yard on image 2 of previous post.
-a double slip point to allow cross overs from both tracks and both directions. This will then give access to the TMD as well as switch tracks to the fiddle yard in one small area.
-continuation of main loop (about 6 piece of track for the double section should do this). Also need one more set of points to access a ‘warehouse’ siding.
-bus wire installation as well as tap splicers for droppers.

This will then give the basic running. Will still need lots of track for fiddle yard, TMD, warehouse siding etc, but, with the above points, the main loop itself will be done.

Lots of scenery to do too, but, need to get the main loop going first. Only really did the bits for the canyon so that I could get a sense of perspective and make sure my plans were actually achievable, given this is my first attempt at N gauge.

Thanks for reading!

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Not a huge amount done as been on holiday.

Before I went, I did do a tester coat of paper mache with kitchen roll. I’ve not been up in the loft to see the product yet, but the aim was to see what textures could be used.

Since I’ve been away, had a few things delivered:

2 sets of small radius points
A few sections of flexitrack
Balsa wood as a test to see what the station platform could consist of.
Soldered fishplates
Tap splicers.

While in the USA, managed to get an Atlas CSX loco which is DCC ready. Attempted to buy an Amtrak genesis loco in DCC, but, it failed its test run due to something shorting in the loco, so, wasn’t meant to be. Also brought a few box cars. Aimed to buy some stock as saves VAT being forced upon the items. Bit gutted I couldn’t get the genesis but hey ho.

So, just waiting for a double slip point set to be delivered, as well as buying some more points, and then the main loop can be boxed off. Also the bus wire to fit bit thanks to the discovery of tap splicers, I’m not as daunted by that as I used to be. i am daunted by the double slip points though, I have to get DCC juicers to reverse the polarity in the centre sections as well as making sure it’s wired correctly.

Hopefully some more progress in the next few weeks.

brammie

Postby brammie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Looking good actonnorth - and remarkably tidy "underneath. I have just completed fitting black curtains to the front of all open support areas below Clackwick - necessary to hide the mass of tools, materials, track parts and fittings, electronics, modroc, scatter, foilage, empty loco and carriage boxes, old MR and RM magazines, cable (from my days as an aircraft engineer), unused kits, parts left over from used kits, etc, etc.

I imagine that the important milestone for you will be seeing the first loco run on you layout. Good luck with your venture.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi everyone.

A little progress update, pictures will follow as soon as I can:

-one main loop has now been completed. There are just 2 lines to complete on the main boards to allow passing trains and then the main loop of the layout is fully completed.
-Paper mache has set on the canyon area. I think another layer may be required in some areas, and then this should be ready to receive colour and scenery.
-I’ve just got a rake of 7 ‘double stack’ intermodals delivered, they are however a Christmas present so cannot make a layout appearance until then.
-I’ve engineered out the double slip ‘scissor point. Firstly, the seller has ballsed up sending it somewhere else and has had poor communication, so, will cancel the order. To be honest it’s a slight relief as looking at how it needed to be wired up, it looked a nightmare. It did add 2 way point ability in a smaller space, but, the layout doesn’t suffer too much by its absence, so, I’m not too disheartened at its loss.

Like I say, I’ll try and get some pictures up of the layout and latest purchases as soon as I can. I will also try and get a track plan up so that the overall article can be seen.

Next steps from here.

-DCC bus wire. Now the majority of droppers are in and mapped out, this can be added in easier.
-fiddle yard and sidings. Need approx 12 sets of short points for these 3 areas alone, so, they will be a gradual purchase. This doesn’t include the TMD, as I’ve not mapped how I want this area to look yet, so, not purchasing items for that bit just yet.
-Canyon scene is likely to be the first bit of proper scenery I will complete. This will probably be the visual centrepiece so want to get it right.
-I’ve mapped where the station will be, however, this will be a single platform with passing loop station. As you may know, USA rail is all about freight, with passenger services few and far between outside of metropolitan areas, so, no need for a huge multi platform super-station.

That’s all for now, as ever, thanks for looking.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:45 am

This is the bit of layout I’ve just been constructing.

As you will see, there are 2 main lines here to allow passing, and there will be a 3rd line just behind the train as a siding.

The point in the foreground will run to an ‘abandoned’ line in the urban area. The point behind the train will run to a head shunt. The 3rd line behind the train will also be the line to the fiddle yard accessed by the points further back.

The CSX loco is my purchase from the USA. It’s a great loco, DCC ready and will purchase a second to form the train. The majority of wagons shown are also new, either from the USA or flea bay.

I’ll try and upload another picture soon, hosting site didn’t seem to want to up,lad more so will get around to it when I can.

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:53 am

Following, and enjoying, with great interest. BTW, when you're done with that baseboard, please come to El Paso and make me one! :D

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Small update time:

-DCC bus wire installed, just need to connect droppers with tap splicers.
-control bench added. Houses the laptop, Hornby e-link, point switch board and test track (picture will be uploaded in time).

Next jobs:

-add the final line onto the main loop.
-add the fiddle yard and point motors. Need track 4xshort left and 4xshort right points to add it in.
-add the 3 sidings (oil depot, warehouse and abandoned). need 2xshort left and 1xshort right as well as some track.

Once those bits are in, then the bulk of the trackwork is done. The only bit needed after that is the TMD, but, I’ll build that as a scenic piece rather than tradklaying piece. This means, once the above bits are done, I can concentrate fully on scenery, which I cannot wait for as seems to be a long time to reach this point.

Thanks for the messages along the way, hopefully once the scenery starts going in, the pictures are more flowing and thus the interest can peak.

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:53 am

I like the S curve. This adds considerable visual interest. Nicely done.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks chops.

I made the curve on the main board as it adds more track running as well as add scenic value.

This section will also contain urban scenery, an ‘abandoned line’ (it will look like its abandoned but trains may occasionally traverse the line), a warehouse and siding scene as well as the eventual TMD.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Very exciting progress. I do like the American style railroading!

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Weekly progress post:

-3rd line on the main loop has now been installed (behind the train in a post above). This will actually be a siding line with small headshunt (enough for 2 locos to fit).

-lots of stock/accessories brought this month:

-BNSF loco brought (will be a Christmas present so not appearing yet).

-brought a Kato starter trainset featuring an Amtrak genesis loco, viewliner coaches, track and controller. I can modify the controller to run my points etc. I didn’t need the coaches or track from the set, but really needed the loco which can be £100-£150 on its own to which the full set was £85, so, buying the whole shebang was a no brainer really.

-brought a ‘superliner transition coach’. This will accompany my set well. The reason this car is different is, on the normal superliner, the gangway between coaches is on the upper level. The transition coach has an upper level gangway at one end, and a lower one at the other end. This is so that it can meet the gangway of the baggage cars.
I need about 3 more coaches plus the baggage cars for a full rake, the issue with the later phase of baggage cars is that they are quite tricky to get hold of.

-also got an Outland building and rail station. I quite like the Outland models. Reu easy to assemble, the detail is pretty decent and while I’ve not done it myself yet, they see, quite easy to customise with interiors/lights etc. The station is only a small building, but, given my station is a single platform affair, makes sense not to have a huge building.

-about 10 sets of points in the post. This will enable me to complete the sidings and 4 lines out of 7 for the fiddle. Also need the track for the fiddle but can get hold of that relatively easy.

-went to the Manchester show today, picked up some containers for my double stack wagons (which will also debut after Christmas), a ‘centre beam wagon’ (chuffed with this as usually retail at about £30 due to rarity, yet picked mine up for £10) and a long tank wagon.

Here are a few pictures of the layout:

This will be the station and beach scene. Where the hammer is will be the abandoned line and urban area.

At the opposite end of the layout, this will be the oil depot, desert scene and at the back, the hidden fiddle yard.

That’s all for now, more next week (hopefully). Thanks for reading.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”