West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi Lysander,

Exhibiting ? I'm getting confused as to what's going where and when !!
With Derek having moved I'm feeling rather on my own. One consolation
is that in July Jamie who helped at the beginning of Castell Mawr is planning
to come & see me (He now lives in Cambridgeshire) Fingers crossed nothing
goes wrong.

West Bay will be at the clubs 'Open Day' to be held in the Salthouse at
West Bay on 5th May ..... Thomas was going, but space is tight and we
will probably drop that, but Can't remember about HS-2.
I've already booked with the council and have to collect the keys on the
Friday before.

I think June is clear, but July & August, my heads spinning.

6-7 July, HS-2 at the Chickerel Steam Fair. This is my layout and being loaned out - nervous !!
27 July, Castell Mawr, & Thomas, & West Bay ????? Don't quite know how this will be done ?
3 August, Thomas at the West Bay Fete Day, in st Johns Church.
17 August, Thomas at Drimpton Fete
24 August, Thomas at Halstock Fete
28-29 September, West Bay at WAMRC Blandford

Weymouth at the beginning of November, I can't recall at the moment if it's HS-2, or West Bay
Seaton Library in December, Thomas
West Camel on 29th December. Thomas

And I'm running the club trip out on 9th June to the G&WSR from Cheltenham

AND I wonder why I feel harassed ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm

SRMG belongs to WAMRC, so it’ll probably be Blandford.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Lysander, may see you there then.
I'm doing the first day only.

WEST DARNED BAY !!

Well I really fancied seeing the diminutive Heljan 1361 Shunting on West Bay.
It is NOT going to happen because I can't get it to run on the SMP/Marcway points combination used for our
track.
The locomotive has suffered pick-up problems, greasy backs of wheels that took 3 deep cleans to remove.
It has very tight axles with zero vertical movement. I gave it an almost make, or break run on St Oval in
my garage, about 4 hours non-stop each way pulling 18 wagons. It did free it up slightly, but it still wouldn't
run reliably on West Bay.
Knowing that it runs reliably on my Thomas layout and the garage layout, the main problem must be the track
work. It was a committee, whole club in fact, decision to use SMP/Marcway track and my buddy Derek who made
the base boards wanted it laid on cork, which he did. Me, I wanted Peco code 75 and No cork.
A thorough examination of the points has shewn that all the 'V' ends are low compared to the switch & wing rails.
The 1361 actually rocks sideways sort of diagonally indicating that because of the poor track condition only 1 wheel
each side is likely to be in contact with the track. This being the inherent difficulty means that short of stripping all
track and probably replacing with something more robust it is not going to give the show reliability I'm demanding.

I am not prepared to rip away the track, ballast, cork and re-build. As Derek has moved away and nobody else would
take on the task of sorting it out it is obvious this small locomotive has no future. We do get successful running from
our Bachmann 57XX, 45XX and a Hornby M7.

We do have other concerns regarding the points. One has already been repaired when the switch rails broke away from
their tie bar. Another has the switch rail dragging on sleepers and will not close up tight to the stock rail. This causes
reversing trains to regularly de-rail. I will have to de-solder, allow to stress relieve itself, re-join and then file the rail
head down to give smooth transition over the join. I may also have to sand the draggy sleeper as well. I will add that
none of point sleepers have been painted, they're still in the black as supplied.

I know that if I don't sort out this layout will sit in the cellar unused, to my knowledge there is no one else who would
be prepared, or even have the skills to do it.

Not a very happy bunny.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 pm

I think you've just confirmed my suspicions about hand built commercial pointwork, it's all to easy for it to have the same problems as your own handbuilt pointwork might. Assuming the cork was laid competently, and you are happy with the plain track, I'd be inclined to take a slitting disk to it and replace the pointwork with code 75 Peco, either the new BH rail, or the FB and b***** the sleeper spacing purists.
I could be on the GWSR on 9 June, along with some of the Williams clan. It's my three quarter century.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 pm

From reading here I do wonder why a good number of people are members of model railway clubs when they apparently have so little interest in doing any modelling. Sometimes sounds like they're just there so they can run their trains on someone else's very nicely made layout, which isn't why I'd join a club if I was that way inclined.

Hmm, 9th June, my trips "home" (although I seem to spend more time at the GWSR than home when I'm back from uni) are getting rather frequent, will have to ponder whether I can really justify coming down again - I would like to Geoff!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi FS123,

You have it in one. Many join to run their stock on the clubs test track, sometimes because they don't have
anything at home. I can't complain about that, it's a reasonable reason for joining a club.
Then on the other side you have exhibition types that spend all their effort and most of their time in running
their own layouts at exhibitions. I quite like that so long as they make certain the club is associated with their
exhibiting.

I always think of a guy who will remain nameless, he had much more value in his railway collection than the family
home had cost him, but didn't have a layout at home !!

In many respects I like the almost unlimited range of reasons why people join a club. We have a few builders and
agricultural workers. They find it difficult to be gentle enough with stock and scenic items, often unintentionally
braking things. On West Bay the horses have wire inserted into their legs and superglued deep into the base boards
so that minor accidents won't have the said items "falling off". My experience of building 2 x Thomas layouts for children
to drive has helped me develop a good idea of what is likely to happen and hopefully to avoid unnecessary destruction !!

Bufferstop, changing is just too much to contemplate, and to be fair some of the problem is made worse by that Loco
having no compensation, not even unintentional slack in the bearings (good old Hornby). I did contemplate removing the
wheels and seeing if I could very lightly file either the bearings, or axles to develop some slack, but doing that to a
£120 loco that's fitted with a £30 decoder was something I've decided to duck out of. I seriously believe if I had made the
points insitu on the base boards I'd have been checking with a straight edge and been slightly more accurate.

(9th June - 21 booked from here at present.

Geoff T.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed May 08, 2019 10:00 pm

That is exactly our experience Scotsman: few want to model, the majority just use the test tracks. It is deeply frustrating but they pay their subs and you cannot enforce modelling.

Re. Markway Geoff, we paid a small fortune for a very large and complicated piece of set-piece geometry for the club’s O gauge layout. It came without a wiring diagram and when one was eventually supplied it was incorrect. It took nearly a year to sort it and get if operational.

Absolutely never again. I agree your preference for Peco Code 75 Geoff. Its always better to use a universal standard , even if the sleeper spacing is a little off. But who visiting the exhibition would know (or care)?

Is a shunter’s chariot, wired with extra pick-ups, a solution for the little tank?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am

Hi Tony,

The spacing problem can be overcome by cutting the web that ties all the sleepers together. Just thinking about it
may make one flinch, but the time taken to try and match our fussy locomotive to uneven track will probably have
taken as long !! It will weaken Peco track, but I have no doubt the resulting track would still be much stronger than
the plastic sleeper SMP. As to sleeper length, just live with it !!

Anyway I'm back to my favourite subject wagons, fixed Parkside mounting blocks and Bachmann narrow tensionlock
couplings into 4 wagons last evening.

Geoff T.

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Thu May 09, 2019 9:58 am

Interesting to hear of your experiences with Marcway. I used Marcway points and SMP flexi-track (sold by Marcway) for my main layout, and am not surprised that even someone more skilled and experienced than me isn't 100% happy with it. I also re-did the smaller layout with Peco Code 75 points and off-cuts and remnants of the SMP flexi-track. Apart from my track-laying, the results didn't look too bad to me. If I was to do a new layout, I would be tempted to use Peco Code 75 points, but with their Bullhead flexi-track.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”