West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:48 am

Hi Geoff, that really is a super little station, and despite it being a club layout it's certainly got your style stamped all over it!

It may not be of any interest to you, but I did think of you and your Kadee problems when I read this in a recent layout article on a magazine;

Bournmouth West, BRM December 2018 wrote:Uncoupling at the buffers in the station is achieved with magnets, but we wanted a foolproof system for the station pilot without having to put magnets everywhere. This has been achieved by using a little known product from Preci models. A micro actuator fitted behind the Kadee pulls the jaws apart on the press of one function button on the controller and, at the same time, operates a slight shuffle, to release coupling tension and pull away slightly. The result is fault-free uncoupling anywhere and everywhere, whenever needed and without magnets.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 pm

I thank you Lysander & FS123,

I do like the scenery side and wagons building best, I suppose it
shows. The number of photos to follow on this layout will be limited
due to taking it back to the club rooms & future storage in the cellar.
Will that leave room for another ? ............ severe doubts about that,
although tonight I'm trying to finish off that 'Country Living' diorama.
It'll be renamed 'Blue Gates - Country Living', just added the streams
water, need to finish for the clubs diorama competition on the 19th !!

FS123, I've not checked out yet due to having just read your posting,
but that DCCing at the loco sounds a very positive development. Ideal
for that layout due to it being mostly passenger traffic and coach movements.
The idea of being able to drop a train anywhere without needing magnets
sounds great, even with wagons where the track configuration is suitable.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:08 pm

I just had a flick back and forth between your last picture and the first one in this thread. Quite a transformation to the idyllic GWR branch line.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks Hymirl,

Well this layout is destined to be back to our club rooms next week.
In theory still much to do and I'm still deciding IF these Ratio coaches will be
given, or perhaps loaned as and when I finish them.
The brake configuration is somewhat different to that in this picture, although
the following two are exactly right !

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

manna

Postby manna » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:42 pm

G'Day Gents

That's coming on a treat, but the 4-4-0 tank engine will be fun, cut down 'Radial tank' ????????

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 am

Nice work on the ratio coaches. How do these compare once assembled to general off the shelf items? Ive owned a few kit built wagons that Ive bought pre assembled over the years and over all have found the quality a bit hit and miss.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi Joshv8,

As you say it'll be very variable. As good as the skills of the modeller who makes them
and the quality of the actual kit they start with.

Take these Ratio 4 wheel coaches : They come with no dividing partitions, or seating.
These need to be made and built in by the modeller. The kit mouldings are quite crisp
and as I recall presented no difficulty in making up. As always you have a weak point
when it comes to adding glazing which is supplied. This is to be stuck on the inside so
the fact you won't get individual window is a potential weakness.

The other kit building difficulty is painting, not so much the main chocolate/cream, but
window surrounds and any lining required. Getting this wrong could easily spoil an otherwise
good build coach. Be prepared to take your time.

The only way to see "If it's for you" is to try. Last time I bought any of these kits they were
a little over £8 each. Perhaps more now ? but probably well worth trying.

Geoff T.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks Geoff.
It's positive to hear the mouldings are good.
I do like the 'uniqueness' of putting your own coaches/ wagons together so I think your right, especially at a cheaper cost they're well worth trying.

I shall have a look whats available.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 pm

I find you have to be very carefully in your choice of Ratio kits. Ratio seem to push to the limits how small the cross section of smaller parts can be, W irons, signal brackets and glazing bars being the sort of parts that don't come out of the moulds quite as they should. I complained about the poor definition of some of the parts in a GWR four wheeler brake, marked the items on the exploded diagram, got a letter back agreeing with me, apologising that it would be later in the year before they had kits from the refurbished tools, and a cheque for the price of the kit. I used the parts from a Peco wagon chassis kit with the Ratio body to finish the model and promptly forgot about it. Three or four months later a kit arrived in the post FOC, a new coach kit with much improved parts. I wonder how many people bought kits but didn't complain about them.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:47 pm

I have to say, I never complained! Maybe I should have....

My advice to anyone contemplating building a rake of Ratio 4-wheel coaches [and, indeed, their Toad brake van] is to buy the oldest productions that they can. By that I mean scour eBay for unbuilt kits in the older Sturminster Newton boxes, the pre-Buckfastliegh ones, easily recognisable as they do not have transparent window fronts.

Why? Simply because they were produced quite a long time ago when the moulds were still quite crisp and flashing is far less evident. The latest coaches suffer very badly from this and very great care has to be taken in removing the flash from the mouldings and then the mouldings from the sprues. Roofs can be particularly problematic as can the fragile and thin tie bars.

The newer kits can still be made, with care, but the older ones are a real doddle and require relatively little cleaning up. They are capable of producing a genuinely prototypical coach and I'm sure Geoff will tolerate just this once [!] my liberty in posting a recently completed older kit. There was very little flash anywhere and nothing broke during construction. It's as-supplied except for the buffers, wheels and interior.

These are really very easy to construct but do not, under any circumstances, use the horrible plastic wheels!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:41 pm

Bufferstop they're the type of stories that give you faith in the people behind the products. Its great to hear Ratio went to such great length for customer satisfaction. Quite often as becomes a quality control problem however the person managing the company and wants to deliver a good quality product, Isnt the one on the line making the part and hence as Tony has said, some of the later kits are lacking. Of course this could be caused by bean counters on the management end also. All the same, Im glad you had a positive experience.

Tony that coach came up brilliantly. I think you hit the nail on the head in regards to not using the plastic wheels. I remember the consensus years ago of guys steering away from metal wheels on stock for fear of them arching out on points etc, but now theyre using the plastic insulated type they work amazing. I see the majority of mainstream manufactured coaches using metal wheels now. I was surprised buying hornbys thomas express coaches for my son how well they were actually made for a basic coach, using metal wheels. They run pretty much perfectly.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:24 am

I think the cost of providing metal wheels has probably fallen off the bottom of the scale since the RTR manufacturers adopted them. Including the wheels on the sprue for a kit was never going to be a realistic solution. Going right back to the time when Airfix was Airfix and Kitmaster was Rosebud getting the plastic wheels to turn was nigh on impossible. The motorised van for animating the locos never caught on because when built as intended the loco just skidded along with the wheels stuck.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:06 pm

The jobs never finished !!

As with most club layouts it's either a small, usually very small group, of designers and builders
that do all the work. I'm now facing the problem of loosing part of the duo responsible for all
but a few items on this layout. Buddy Derek moved this week to Hampshire.

Does this mean it's all up to me now ? Probably ?

Anyways I was looking through the internet to find a model of a yard conveyor and found on
the NRM shop a Knightwing metal kit. Still not fully painted, but here showing it's planned
use in loading swedes/turnips. I'm told by someone that this was a product sometimes shipped
out of west bay and they used a portable conveyor !

From the cart (this picture previously used on my workbench thread)

No doubt there will be regular small developments on West Bay ....... IF I do them ?

Geoff T.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Excellent work Geoff. As you say jobs never finished.

I love the horses.

Maybe you have a field for them to work in?

A three horse team hard at work.
IMG_1269.JPG

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:43 pm

When and where are you exhibiting next Geoff?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”