West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi John,

On a finer scale track we're looking for slightly finer running gear.
I've had my S&DJR 3F in pieces as well as the clubs open cab Pannier tank.
While the 'Keeper plate' that holds the wheel sets in is exactly the same product L-5698
on both locomotives the actual chassis has some differences. On my 'New' S&DJR 3F all
3 axles have brass bearings that sit into machined metal cavities, the old model with
traction tyred centre wheels has brass bearings on two axles only, the other axle sits in it's
groove that has 2 springs allowing some compensation. The early model had pick-up wipers
on the leading and trailing wheel sets, none for the rubber tyred wheels, My 3F has pick-ups
on all 3 axles.

So it should be easy enough to replace the entire motor assembly in the old club loco, but I
have yet to find the part code although I spent some time on line. The price may put me off
as those keeper plates are £7.51 each. I'm a little concerned regarding the running of my S&DJR,
used to be superb but I'm wondering if I've almost burnt the brushes out, doesn't like to start
sometimes and not holding a consistent speed. It has been thoroughly cleaned during the above
mentioned strip-down. They warn about 100 hours and my Jinty stays on the garage track and
is run for long periods over the last 2 years or more ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Don't get too concerned over that 100hrs warning. These motors are a stock product. The outfits that buy them in bulk often want to put them into applications where they work without any attention until the unit is taken out of service and overhauled or simply scrapped.A gauranteed 100 hrs is all they are bothered about. My Dapol pug is on its second set of wheels and rods with its original motor still going strong and possibly clocking up to its second 100.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am

Hi Bufferstop,

Yes, but yours was working. Mine started having uneven running, then ceased
almost as if no pick-up, but it's loaded with lead and one test was to re-programme
another address. I heard it take the change, but still wouldn't run.
After a second strip down and thorough check including poking at the brushes it
started running, but still uneven, yet once it was super smooth and gave VERY slow
running.
The clubs version it's just those small tyred central wheel set that needs 'fixing'. There
are two more 2721's in the box and they all need modifying to be happy on SMP fine
scale track. Even then because of the low location of the underside I can foresee some
difficulty in converting to Kadees. They all have large D couplings where at one end the
screw that holds them on also holds the chassis together.
This all needs finishing, layout and stock conversions by January for our Beaminster exhibition.

Still my microstrip plastic should arrive soon so I can get back to finishing more of the layout.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:16 pm

A few days gone by .........

West Bay's cattle pens coming along, just need to finish painting. Screwed back onto
the baseboards and merged into the un-metalled lane surface. A gate removed for adding
the sand surface and some grass verge grass.

My Bachmann 'Collectors Club' issue wagon making it's first day appearance. The Hornby granite
wall sections have been glued together and currently waiting for a grey wash to dry out before
fixing along the back scene, but another weathering wash needed.

Just 4 large jobs for this board before completion. Fixing and weathering the granite walling,
Laying the gravel road next to the wall, then adding grass to all that brown area. I've already
threaded 6 fine strands of nylon (Invisible sewing thread) into one end post, but all those
other posts have to be threaded on before fixing in place ........ Oh then add a ground signal
and look at putting point roding in ...... Perhaps ?

By next week it'll be back to the station board.

As to Locos and Stock - we intend to spend some money !!!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 pm

O.K more pictorial stuff !

Here we have all the grass edging done out to the gravel station access road.
That access road has changed little in the last 120 years, but of course the old
yard is now a car park, with the station building being an up-market cafe. The
cafe currently has an old GWR carriage on rails as part of their dining experience.

My watered down PVA is taking a long time to dry out. I know a shed is not the
driest environment, but it's delaying work now.

I've moved onto the station board, seen here yesterday, but now with the gravel
road surfaced and white fencing all along the back scene.
That garden along the fence has always been there, but once protected with a rabbit
fence of chicken wire, now open, perhaps we've squeezed the rabbits out ?

Must see if I can find a picture of the cafe coach being delivered.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:57 pm

It took time for that grass to dry out enough to run a drill
through the holes to clean up ready for fence posts.

No depth of field in the image, funny lighting with dark shadows
and full sun through my shed window. At least you get the feel
of my signature modelling niche, post and wire fencing. In all
this required some 210 holes being drilled in matchsticks, then
threaded with invisible sewing thread that's not easy to see, One
supposes that's why it's called invisible thread !!

Tomorrow this board is moved to the back of my shed allowing me
better access to the station where I have more 'ground works' to
do.

This was brought home exactly 1 month to the day, 21st August. I
may yet hit my target of finishing within September. A week to
finish ?

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:33 pm

The layout rotated and all joined together to see how the various elements mate up.
Rather pleased with the gravel access road, a very good join on a rising gradient.

Now to get on with the station fencing and unkempt ground between the platform rear,
extending to this boards end. I'm having to raise to clear a wire in tube that operates
the first point on this board. Nothing really of interest to add, no lamp hut, goods shed,
or general purpose buildings. All there will be is the home starter signal. One mounting
board layer being stuck down hence the jars to help keep flat.

I'm hoping to get back to the club rooms a week on Tuesday.

It's also been a terribly disappointing day. I've had the first unsatisfactory locomotive
ever from Hatton's. No not their fault, it's a Dave Jones 48XX and it simply won't run
without a loud knocking noise accompanied by a sever slowing and jump forward at
anything other than a very slow crawl. I shall add a video here later.

https://youtu.be/4rAEBijLutA

It's exactly what we need for this layout, looks the part, but something wrong in the
motor/drive chain. There is no way I'm going to open up to look inside a £99 loco.
They do say don't run on DCC without adding a decoder, so I connected up my DC to
conform with the instructions. If it won't work on DC there's no point in adding a decoder !!
The nearest to it's 'performance' problem I've had has been from certain Bachmann
locomotives where after adding a decoder they needed the back EMF settings changing !!

Geoff T.
Last edited by Dad-1 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding video

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:09 pm

That doesn't look like something that will improve after running in. I've seen bad reports about the mechanicals of the Austerity tank, is this a similar problem? The problem in that case seemed to be because the axles were gear coupled as well as by the coupling rods. I can't see anything to be gained by it.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:08 pm

I know what the problem is!
I have heard it before!
It has a potato stuck up the exhaust! :lol:

Definitely something binding, causing the worm to jump it's teeth!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Another reason that I will not purchase a model from Dave. I wanted a good "14XX" but coming from the DJM stable I crossed it off the list. The Austerity J94 which is another I would have liked a couple of also has issues so it too is not on my list.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:08 am

Potato Timbersurf ?
More like a big rock in the gearbox.
All I can say is Hatton's are on the customer service ball, I had a reply by 09.13 this Sunday
morning. I was nervous knowing there have been, obviously still are, problems with these.
Bufferstop I have reason to believe you're correct that the problem is something to do with
the twin axle drive. The coupling rods are SO loose that I wonder how many hours before
the slack overly large mounting holes allow the rods to fall off. At least I don't think this is
through opposing forces between rods and twin axle drives ........ but I could be wrong and
I'm not prepared to play around with it.

I wonder if Hatton's WILL try my next one before sending to me as I don't want a silly game
of exchange the Loco. You can see why GWR_fan way down in Australia is playing safe and
keeping away from DJ stuff. For me to return it's not a problem although even then I don't
see why I should bear the costs involved, particularly if we end up with multiple failures !!!!
That is of course my problem - THIS IS the locomotive we want for West Bay and quite honestly
the Hornby Railroad version isn't up to the visual standards we want, let alone the butchery
needed to fit one with Kadees. Having said that I have both a Dapol & Hornby, DCC fitted in
my personal 'Shed', so we're going to try and decide IF ........... ?????

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:03 pm

I'm at a total loss to understand why DJ has gone for this peculiar mechanical layout. Relying on the coupling rods to couple the wheels of steam and rigid chassis diesels has never been a problem, as long as the rods were strong enough to transmit the forces. The design of model loco mechanisms is always about trading off compromises in scale against function, and I don't think there has ever been a demand for absolute scale appearance in the mechanisms, other than from "leave it in the box" collectors. Perhaps instead of a bag of little plastic goodies to attach to our locos, we could be provided with the alternate set of coupling rods, so those of us who want to see it doing something useful, can swap the dead scale ones for the fully functional.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Currently 'Water under the bridge', I'm moving on.
Deadline Month End ?
One of my last jobs has been to do a station sign, as far as I can make out the original
Bridport Railway had black background to white letters. I can manage a raised edge, but
the letters will have to be flat printed, yes I know 3D printing could achieve what it was
like, but that takes time and money for one small sign !

I dug my Hornby 14XX set out, complete with autocoach. Not been used for about 6 years
and worked fine, well as good as it ever did, it still waddles, but at the speeds we'll do
on West Bay it won't really notice. It is however MY locomotive and we did want one for
club stock.

Ouch, that OR Bridport brake van really is too pale. At least my Autocoach is not for
exhibition purposes.

Some graveling and lots of grass laying to do, but it is coming towards the point where I'll
be taking this back to our club rooms

Now need to re-pack that 58XX for return to Hatton's.

Geoff T.

manna

Postby manna » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:31 am

G'Day Gents

looking very much like a top quality branch terminus, :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks for the comment manna,

It's coming along, one of the last jobs has been to make up the Ratio home starter
signal. All working fine, so some touch-up on painting and it can be fixed on the
layout. I'll do that with pins making exchange easy. I'm still trying to work out a safe,
reliable operation system from underboard to be used by heavy handed operators !!

I've spent some time adjusting Kadees, but the underboard magnets are not strong
enough. I don't know how deep they are but will have to dig into the underboard to
access for adjustment. I didn't do any of the magnet fixing and know just how critical
placing of magnets can be.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”