West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:19 am

Well I was banned by the dear lady, dear ? yes wives can be expensive, from making ANY
more layouts. Well this one is not mine and not followed my personal design qualities. It's
the Bridport & District clubs replacement for an old and rather tatty layout that went broadly
under the name West Bay.
This sits for months in the cellar at our club rooms, we only get about 1.1/2 hours each Tuesday
evening and things had simply not been moving forward so I brought home to get it moving again.

Firstly by consensus we went for Markway '00' points and track, having such thin sleepers we
laid on a cork bed. My experience to date convinces me that for operational strength and reliability
we would have been much better off to have stayed with Peco code 75.
I've just had to repair, re-build really, one point where the closure (switch) rails were dragging on
sleepers and not closing up tightly onto the stock rails. During ballasting some glue must have locked
the tie-bar and someone had tried to assist by pulling on a closure rail end bending it. By re-soldering
both closure rails, after pushing on the tie-bar to release they have lifted slightly and now don't drag.
The bend was removed at this time.

I really only brought home to lay grass ....... Stitching along to reduce moisture at any one place.

The repaired point, How we should have sprayed the track before ballasting ! I hate the black sleepers

Looking down the layout length with two ground signals now in place. Nice white metal LMS stop, while
these Lanarkshire Model Supplies stops are good they're not that strong and on weak track are vulnerable.

Lots more to come !!
NO it's not MY layout dear, it'll go back to the clubroom ........... sometime !

Geoff T.

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Re: West Bay Bridport - Club Layout

Postby End2end » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:39 am

"No my dear....this ISN'T a layout!.... It's a TEST TRACK" :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi E2E,

Even that won't work, I've use it before !!

Done more, first the station board now has almost all it's greenery on the viewing edge. We have
the station building and signal box made up by another club member. I have to get them before I
can start adding fencing at the rear of the platform.

Attention has returned to the other board. I'd already made up the 3 Lanarkshire Models buffer stops,
but the outer one hadn't been attached. At West Bay the yard ends at access into a lane and I'm testing
out the location of gates and fencing. At the same time station access road is being raised slightly using
mounting board which at the platform will be sitting on ply risers of 11 mm.
A selection of weights to hold mounting board in place while the glue sets.

Now my latest package from Lanarkshire has arrived I can get back to the brake van build, but particularly
want to get on with this work.

Much of the build is from a consensus of club members. I will say that I would never have used the delicate
SMP scale track and Marcway hand made points, or laid on cork. This will be used by club members many who
are not that delicate of touch. In addition I've already had to re-solder one point and another is suffering from
the same problem of point blades dragging on sleepers, at times preventing a tight closure against the stock rail.
The super thin sleepers making ballasting, even with sand a trying process of getting adequate coverage to the
cork. As to needing cork to obtain a shoulder on ballast, that's something of a false claim, this yard had NO shoulder.

I believe that a club layout needs to be resilient to a degree of heavy use and I have severe doubts !

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:59 pm

More work done this afternoon, I would like to break the back of this layout over the next week,
although my bag of goodies has arrived for that Brake Van build on my workbench thread.

Here we have a few fence posts now plugged through some mounting board that'll allow a slightly
raised grass verge under the fence. In addition 2/3 of the bare wood remaining in the yard has
been covered in various sands.

Certainly these pictures bring home just how much weathering is needed on those LMS (Lanarkshire
Model Supplies) buffer stops. Another shot of stock on that outer siding.

In the background work started on the gravel road that runs from what was a country lane up to the
station buildings. Currently a double thickness of mounting board that I'll have to partially waterproofed
with spirit based yacht varnish before adding gravel with that basic 50/50 PVA/Water mix. I also need to
find out where the station building and signal box are - they've been made by another club member.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Mounting board used for the slightly raised road up to the station has steps where additional
layers are added. I've use a hard-wall repair plaster, that when fully dry can be sanded back
to give a nice smooth transition.

I was waiting for delivery of Ratio gates ...... I have more than enough fencing, but wanted
another for the cattle dock to more or less match the main yard gate. I needed to reduce in
length to be more prototypical.

Drilling 6 holes in each of the wire strand fence posts, those between the gates being wooden.
However up by west Bay station we have GWR type white pailing fence. I now have the two
buildings made by another club member.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:59 pm

My promised helper didn't arrive as a result I spent loads of time just drilling 0.5 mm
holes in matchsticks ..... it HAS to be done so exactly when doesn't matter.
I then added gravel to some of Station Road and put grass on the verges. Note the pins
to secure the seating holes for gates that will be added when this lot has dried.

I've also decided it's a mugs game trying to update many older Triang wagons in the clubs
heritage boxes !! Seen in the picture is a Triang Bestwood's 5 plank coal wagon to which I've
now added metal buffers, in place of those damaged and broken off. These I realize are far
too high, there were also no hooks and originally fitted with plastic wheel sets !!!
By the time you've replaced buffers, added hooks, replaced wheel sets, fixed Bachmann narrow
tension-lock couplings and mountings it would be MUCH better to just buy new wagons, because
at the end of the work you still only have a 50 year old Triang wagon !!

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:31 pm

The over tall Triang chassis are just about the end for those wagons, unless you have a particular special waggon body then it's a case of find a chassis to go under it. Don't bother looking a Hornby plastic chassis, they replicated the same faults and introduced the horrendous slab of black plastic that extends from the buffer beam down to the coupler.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:19 am

Hi John,

I'm not a rivet counter by any means and that Cordon is interesting enough to fully convert as I've
done, just needs Kadees fitting and lining up.
You're correct about the quality, or lack of, regarding the remaining 'Heritage' stock. There is a mixture
of Triang, a windowless Horse & Groom van, then a cattle wagon on the same chassis, way over length.
2 old Airfix GWR Toad brakes on plastic wheels, 2 Hornby 'Arnold's Sands' with that high chassis and big
plastic coupling block as you describe and a couple of high chassis coal wagons, one Triang the other Lima.

As I've already done most of the work on that Bestwood coal wagon I shall just touch up a little and add
3 link couplings so it can sit as a single loose wagon on the sidings. Probably park right next to the bufferstop,
might even be worth sticking in place so it becomes a permanent piece of the scenery !!

Geoff T.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:29 pm

I have 15 Arnold's Sands and 18 Bestwoods, I am dismayed now! :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Timbersurf,

At least you'll be laughing all the way to the bank !

Just don't try using on fine scale track and hand made points. I know the sleeper spacing
and bending switch rails rather than having an articulated riveted join looks SO much
better, but I'm still a heathen at heart and keep to code 100 on my own layouts. On this
club layout I'd have gone for Peco code 75, but that may well have trouble with those 50+
year old wheel sets clouting the rail chairs.
Keep 'em running though, unaltered if you can !

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:53 am

A short video looking along the scenic part of the layout.

https://youtu.be/1O8Uy8L4UVo

Much ground works still to do, including making a signal and loading gauge.

Geoff T.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:52 am

Hi Geoff
I'm having problems viewing your video. I'm getting a message saying it is unavailable. Hopefully it's just me being a dullard.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi Dublo,

I think it may have been on 'Private' - should be O.K now.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:40 pm

I seem to have been busy all day, but not a lot to show, although I like my fencing.

Regrettably I shall have to slow again as I've decided cutting strips of plastic off my large sheets is
too time consuming and given me a sore finger. Today I've ordered some microstrip 0.8 mm x 2 mm
which will save a considerable amount of work. Even with that, which will take probably until mid week
I have the mind boggling job of cutting all those cross beams for that cattle dock - each needing to be
trimmed to an accuracy of a thousandth of an inch, needing 3 in every bay !!

That Hornby Granite Walling adds a nice visual stop in front of the back scene, only 1 pack was not
enough, ordered one more with that plastic strip .....

I'm now going to look through Peters Spares to identify the chassis fitted to that Hornby 2021, I believe
it may be exactly the same as fitted to their 3F Jinty. I want to get away from that as fitted which has
traction tyres on the central set.

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:01 pm

I have a slightly earlier Pannier Tank (with cab roof) which has a standard 0-6-0 chassis, the one with the horribly undersized centre drivers. I don't know which is worse. I used to run a Thomas chassis minus its rubber tyres and the groove in the wheels never gave a problem.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”