Clackwick Circa 1955

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
brammie

Re: Clackwick Circa 1955

Postby brammie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you Mountain.

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 am

Wow! Too much to see all at once. They use of back drops and low relief buildings make this layout look like it would fit in an aerodrome. The small detailed scenes, and the locomotive parts piled up are terrific. My favorite scene is "D. Bird's Corner Shop."
Nessie rocks!

brammie

Postby brammie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:58 am

Thank you Chops. D Bird's corner shop is actually based on the one shop that served our little group of Nissen huts on Boleyn Way, Jaywick in the early '50s. The wishing well was situated on a small roundabout immediately in front of the shop. At that time the area was pretty much as depicted on my layout, but much flatter and somewhat more spread out. The diaorama at the other end of the Nisssen huts, centred on the old bunker, reflects a tale involving the twin daughters of "old man Belcher" (who lived in the Nissen hut nearest the corner shop) and yours truly - but that's another story. When I went back for a visit 30 years later the Nissen huts were gone, replaced by a sea of bungalows spreading across the marshes all the way to the coast.

brammie

Postby brammie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:25 am

Charlie Wheeler's corner has come in for some additional detailing in the last few days - the scene was previously far too tidy, and not at all in keeping with reality. Charlie was a well known local, who was to be seen on his three wheeler touting for sales of firewood that he prepared at his site near Gt Clacton. Looking on, with a keen interest, is the head groundsman from the adjacent "big house".

Charlie Wheeler's 3.jpg

brammie

Postby brammie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Our neighbour in the NIssen huts "Old Man Belcher" (OMB) spent much of his time overseeing the moral wellbeing of his twin daughters. One summer's afternoon found his two girls at a nearby gunsight playing "you show me yours ...... etc" with the son of a neighbour.
Belcher's daughters 1024 x 768.JPG

What the young lad didn't realise was that OMB had seen all parties making for the gunsight and had decided to investigate. Shortly after OMB had crossed the donkey field a young lad was to be seen running for his life, clutching his trousers at his waist!
Belcher OM 1024 x 768.jpg

brammie

Postby brammie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:27 pm

A neighbour of ours in Elm Grove Gt Clacton raised a pair of pigs every year for Christmas slaughter. Those who passed on their kitchen scraps were rewarded at Christmas with a joint of pork. Since Elm Grove is not represented on my layout, the piggery has been relocated to the Nissen huts on Boleyn Way Jaywick. "Young Bramwell" can be seen on his way home from school (still in uniform) passing the time of day with Mr Syrett and his helper.

Pigsty 1 1024 x 768.jpg

Meanwhile, another "hopeful" approaches the scene with a sack of scraps for the porkers.

Pigsty  2 768 x 1024.jpg

brammie

Postby brammie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Managed to come up with a slightly better pic for the previous post: Tried different lighting.

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:35 am

Charming agricultural scenes. I've had trouble getting dirt paths correctly- the stuff splays out where it shouldn't go. How'd you do it? Interesting bomb proof, there. I recollect playing in and about those things as a child in the UK. I gained a quick appreciation for Britain's resoluteness even at that young age.
Nessie rocks!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Love the layout, especially the cameos. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

manna

Postby manna » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:36 pm

G'Day Gents

Some interesting tales coming to the surface, amazing what went on along the railway lines.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

brammie

Postby brammie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 pm

Thank you guys for your kind words.

Chops, "dirt paths"; my base is a mix of fine scatter layed in 2006 (typical of that all around the layout) well fixed with that white wood glue at the time. It was just a few days ago that I realised the "well trodden" areas like footpaths and entrances at field gates all looked to be virgin ground. A really stiff 4mm brush with Raw Umber 247 and Payne's Grey 065 Acrylics, mixed in varying proportions on the brush (and with varying amounts of water), stippled onto the scatter surface to represent trodden areas. Have a firm idea in your mind of what you want the finished article to look like before you start, and be decided on where the lightly/heavilly worn areas should be. Don't be afraid, anything you are not happy with can be easily fixed. Good luck.

Manna, the tip of the iceberg. As the saying goes; "We didn't have a pot to p##s in", but I reckon I had a childhood that money could not buy today. All those poor bu##ers glued to their ipads!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:15 pm

We had one of those concrete "pill boxes" on a patch of waste ground opposite a pub called "The Navigation" and right alongside a bridge where the road passed through the canal embankment. Then one day the council blokes turned up, built a double skinned wall across the opening and filled it with concrete. Lord knows who they thought they were keeping out. A few months later we were doing "mock GCEs" when we heard the fire brigade sirens approaching the school and just as they passed there was a terrific bang which rattled everything in the hall. A short while later the Head came in to explain, as he didn't want us to be worrying. A lorry carrying twenty odd glass bottles filled with Methyl Ethyl Ketone,(the huge ones in baskets packed with straw), You might recognise it as MEKPAK and it had exploded. No one was hurt but there was some damage! Not kidding, the lorry had pulled up behind the pill box and the driver had rushed into the pub to use the phone to let the fire brigade know it was on fire, they were about half way there when it exploded.
It took the roof off the pub, the windows out of numerous houses and most of a pair of semis which ended up as bungalows with the roof skeleton dropped back on top. The lorry was reduced to a twisted chassis on tyreless wheel hubs, the cab squashed flat against the engine block, the engine cover being found in the canal a week or two later. If he hadn't driven around the back of the pill box but stayed on the road there's every chance it would have cracked the cast iron trough where the canal passed over, which would have deposited the contents of a nine mile level stretch of the Birmingham Tame Valley Canal into the surrounding land. The pill box looked a bit blackened but joy of joy it had opened up the blocked doorway!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 am

brammie wrote:Before including pictures of some of the diaoramas included my layout I should explain that several of them relate to the experiences of young lad growing up on the edge of the Jaywick marshes in the mid '50s. Whilst they all carry a strong element of truth, further explanation would not be appropriate here.

I've enjoyed acquainting myself with your layout, and apart from the great modelling skills on show I really like the comment above - It has suddenly opened up a wonderful array of potential cameos for layouts. I have often said "I am my own greatest source of amusement, with all the dopey things I have done so far!" :D
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

brammie

Postby brammie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:06 am

A short video from my layout in operation. My first attempt with video camera; chopped from five minutes to about two and a half by Flickr. It may be thought that the two Hornby Class 20 Locos are running unrealistically slow, but under "test" dead slow seems to me the most important running mode. Operation in "consist" will follow later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/165741652 ... datetaken/

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:41 am

I really enjoyed reading through your thread. Im a bit dissapointed I had missed it until now.
I think your track plan is very clever, allowing you to bypass the station lines and access the engine sheds and Im guessing industrial area. Its a good size layout but the way its set out makes it feel bigger still.
The stories that you tell with your photos are great. Thankyou for sharing!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”