Greater Loftchester

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BuffyMcBuffer

Re: Greater Loftchester *opinions please*

Postby BuffyMcBuffer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 am

Itsonlyme wrote: Have you considered putting a turb tabke

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta love auto correct

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:43 pm

Itsonlyme wrote:
Michaelaface wrote:I not sure about it being that big, as soon as I put points in the space seems to evaporate and it just becomes points for the sake of points

I have an 8x4 and you're moaning about space, have you considered using shorter points? Looks pretty cool. Have you considered putting a turb tabke in so you can turn you steam engines around?

Looks good to me, I'd love to have that much room!

you misunderstand me, I didn't intend that to look like I was moaning about space, I just want to make sure that I'll have a plan I'm happy with, as too many times I've laid all the track and then found something I'm unhappy with and had to start again, already rebuilt the majority of this one so far, thats what I'm trying to avoid, and yes regarding the point work I will be using smaller sized points

manna

Postby manna » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:45 am

G'day Gents

That's a hard one, a fairly long thin area,well you could have a, loco shed/mpd, a Freightliner terminal, Docks, complete with a bl00dy big ship, a goods yard/transfer /shipping sheds, 4 bay country station, Branchline Terminus, Suburban terminus, massive scrapyard, Army/Navy/RAF base, carriage sidings :shock: Now you've got the hard part, 'What' do you think would suit you (and your Pocket) best. Do you have another interest,IE, ships, planes, cars, can you incorporate, your other interest. :!:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 pm

manna wrote:G'day Gents

That's a hard one, a fairly long thin area,well you could have a, loco shed/mpd, a Freightliner terminal, Docks, complete with a bl00dy big ship, a goods yard/transfer /shipping sheds, 4 bay country station, Branchline Terminus, Suburban terminus, massive scrapyard, Army/Navy/RAF base, carriage sidings :shock: Now you've got the hard part, 'What' do you think would suit you (and your Pocket) best. Do you have another interest,IE, ships, planes, cars, can you incorporate, your other interest. :!:

manna

aha I think there might be a slight bit of confusion to which part I mean here, so I've remade the plan so it's up to date to make it all a bit clearer

the area in red is the part I mean, also bearing in mind that this section is going above the other section so there needs to be clearance for embankments etc, also this means there can't be any pointwork where the tracks cross over due to point motors under the board, and my idea was to have a through station at either the top or most likely the left hand side, as on the lower level there will be a station here too

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Tis possible to have points on the high level, there are a few very small and discrete ones now available, else use rod in wire back to a motor in a spot that has clearance underneath. Just an option. :P
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:38 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Tis possible to have points on the high level, there are a few very small and discrete ones now available, else use rod in wire back to a motor in a spot that has clearance underneath. Just an option. :P

I've tried the wire in tube method a few times, I'm obviously doing something wrong though as it's never quite worked out for me

manna

Postby manna » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 pm

G'Day Gents

I now I understand, thought it was the center bit, there are lots of stations that don't have a goods yard, so no points, and seeing it's on an embankment, what about a station on stilts (plenty of those about).

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Michaelaface wrote:
Itsonlyme wrote:
Michaelaface wrote:I not sure about it being that big, as soon as I put points in the space seems to evaporate and it just becomes points for the sake of points

I have an 8x4 and you're moaning about space, have you considered using shorter points? Looks pretty cool. Have you considered putting a turb tabke in so you can turn you steam engines around?

Looks good to me, I'd love to have that much room!

you misunderstand me, I didn't intend that to look like I was moaning about space, I just want to make sure that I'll have a plan I'm happy with, as too many times I've laid all the track and then found something I'm unhappy with and had to start again, already rebuilt the majority of this one so far, thats what I'm trying to avoid, and yes regarding the point work I will be using smaller sized points

Smaller points is the way to go, it's the only way I can make my 8x4 lol. I can totally understand that. It certainly looks like it will offer plenty of room to run larger locos.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:04 am

I kept changing things... I had the habbit of lifting track to add the odd siding, and then the layout was overcrowded so it was lift time to begin again... I did it around three times with the last lyout.... Maybe four.

minipix

Postby minipix » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 pm

If you're avoiding pointwork there, here are some other scenic suggestions to make it look interesting:

- A road bridge over the track
- A level crossing with motorised gates (could you plumb that into RocRail perhaps?)
- A tunnel through a cliffside (like the stretch between Dawlish and Teignmouth)
- A section of 'abandoned' track, like an old siding, or the remains of a disused station
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:13 pm

after a bit of thinking about the scene I'd like to portray and looking around for inspiration (northern industrial town scene, so lots of mills knocking about all over the place) I've come up with this plan, which is a double track mainline with through station at the bottom left, which will have some sort of footbridge going to the lower level station, and then all the sidings will go to factories/mills etc, does mean I'm going to have scratch build a load of points (yeah might as well challenge myself), or come up with clever ways of disguising peco ones ( heavy ash ballast or track laid in cobblestones?) and as for the lower level, there'll be retaining walls around almost all of the scenic section, but that was the idea anyway

atm I'm quite happy with it, can fit as much as possible in the space, but does it look too busy? and any glaring errors?

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:33 pm

Looking good there Michaela. I think that you've hit the nail on the head. It has that industrial feel too. Are you planning any gradients or two totally separate levels? Either way a nice busy suburban layout with plenty of large buildings.

Michaelaface

Re: Greater Loftchester

Postby Michaelaface » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:26 pm

after putting off some jobs for a while I've started getting back on with finishing the terminus, I've decided I'm going add about 30cms to the end of the board to allow for run around loops

here's where I've got to so far

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:16 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head with your revised track plan. Its going to give you a load of operational interest and still keep realistic looking track work, nothing will look cluttered. Looking at some of the track you've done on instagram quite amazed me. Once I get the current layout done and ready to tackle an end to end thats a bit more serious I might need some tips!

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:41 am

took a break from the layout cause I had a bunch of other stuff I needed to get back on track (lol) and also because I was feeling a bit jaded with how the layout was progressing, once again I was really happy with certain areas, but there were a few bits I wish I'd done differently or taken a bit more time to get right, the baseboard framework being a main one, despite being probably my best effort, I really felt the way I built it wasn't giving me the vision of the layout I wanted

fast forward 2 months and I've back in the mindframe for model railways, only to enter the loft and discover a bloody wasps nest, tucked away in the eaves, behind the fiddle yard, which was the last straw really, wasnt willing to continue working up there whilst there was a big wasps nest and the only way to get to it was to dismantle the fiddle yard

fast forward 2 weeks, the fiddle yard is dismantled and the wasps are gone!

time to rebuild :roll:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”