St David's Road TMD

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
EddScott

St David's Road TMD

Postby EddScott » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Decided to give building an OO gauge layout another attempt. I did have a 6m by 3m layout in the loft of my previous house but that had to come down when I moved. I'm considering converting my garage with a view to put a layout in there but for now, I want to build something that I can run my locos on and test my appetite for railway modelling.

To that end, I have decided to create a modern TMD layout. I know it's not particularly original but I like them.

The design I am most keen on is this:-

Although it doesn't leave much room for scenery. Loco wash won't be in existing location.

Baseboards have been constructed. I have built 2 boards that bolt together. 1st so I can take it down when not in use, 2nd to make it easier to work on one side or the other and 3rd just in case I choose to take it to a show or two. The 1.5m boards will fit in the back of my car.

Haven't decided on a back story as yet. Other than living in West Wales and my old layout was St David's Junction so this is St David's Road TMD.

Mountain

Re: St David's Road TMD

Postby Mountain » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:56 pm

I was going to say that the loco wash is not in the ideal position as only trains in one direction (Usually entering) are washed.

EddScott

Re: St David's Road TMD

Postby EddScott » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:28 am

I've made a slight change to the plan. I didn't know locos would only move in one direction through the wash plant.

Adding an extra line from the refueling rig allows locos to pass in one direction onto the headshunt to leave the depot.

I've bought some track and have started buying buildings. Purchased a few Knightwing kits. Thought this would be a good idea so I can work out placement of buildings and adjust the track layout accordingly.

Having laid the first layout onto the boards, I'm not happy with how close the lowest lines are to the edge of the board and I already have the 2 line Bachmann shed which has shown me that the 3 lines into the loco shed are too close to the headshunt above. This will need altering a little.

I've also sold my Roco MultiMaus as I wasn't completely comfortable with it and gone back to a NCE Pro Cab.

I haven't addressed legs for each of the boards and hoping, with Friday off work, to cover this off.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”