Tonglington Abbey & St. Renock Quay Kato N Gauge Unitrack Layouts

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Alexander Court

Re: Tonglington Abbey - Kato N Gauge Unitrack in 4ft by 16ins

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:09 pm

Mountain wrote:
Alexander Court wrote: My locomotives have no issues with the track, they just don't work very well in general.

Alexander.

When I tried N gauge I found I tended to be spending ages cleaning track and wheels. I also found this with H0e despite the high quality chassis.
I found 00 gauge to be better, but surprizingly, since I have gone up a scale to 7mm narrow gauge, the extra weight added to the little 0-4-0 shunters does improve the running a bit, though I still need to clean wheels and track. Is more that things are easier to clean and I don't believe I need to clean them so often.
Though I don't yet have my layour wired up, a small oval of track with a pair of passing loops on a 2ft x 7ft layout is quick to clean. My last 00 gauge layout took me between half an hour and an hour to clean the track if I did a proper job and cleaned every siding!

What would be ideal for N and 00 gauge (Which 009 and 0-16.5 could also use) would be a device which cleans wheels of all powered and unpowered wheels in seconds.

My track is very clean at the moment and so are my locomotives wheels, but none of my locos are from this side of 1990 and all of them were purchased second hand so they were not new when I got to them. Actually my 'Blue 5' might be post-90s but I'm not sure. There may be a newer locomotive joining the fleet in the next few weeks which ought to be able to take over most of the duties on the line and will more than likely become the main resident of the engine shed at Tonglington Abbey station.

Alexander.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:44 am

I am not very happy.

I bought myself a locomotive on ebay, it was a real steal because of its previous cosmetic treatment. It was one of those "only post to uk" items so I had it sent to our DPD Parcel Wizard address. Now, I had in fact ordered some 00 items from Hattons second hand department for christmas, totalling about one hundred euros, and trying to avoid half the postal backlog from christmas by sending the package by a usually trustworthy DPD Parcel Wizard service (an Antrim address that allows you to get items which only post to the UK sent down to the republic via DPD courier). The item was sent via royal mail tracked from hattons to dpd and the tracking details said the items arrived at DPD (posted 28th December, arrived January 3rd) and I had to ring Hattons and they rang royal mail and they told hattons gps tracking confirmation was at the correct address. Ive been waiting since then, three weeks for DpD to do a trace search in their facility first and now a month waiting for insurance at dpd to refund me which hasnt happened yet).

In the meantime Ive had other items.delivered fine through the service but this N gauge loco is the first royal mail tracked item to go through the service since and it appears to have happened again so I think something suspicious is going on. Use DPD Parcel Wizard at your own peril.

Alexander

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:00 am

Update Time

Time for some progress, first of all I have added back a board on the end of the layout with a revised larger opening to allow continuous running:

Next up, the Village class 'V7' tank 'St.Renock' (as described here in the Siddington Works thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=51947&start=15 ) has returned to service in its coat of green, here she is sizzling away waiting to start a good days work:

And here she is, working away on the passenger services, the paint shop at Siddington Works haven't managed to find time to get the brake coach repainted yet:

Now, I think the Tonglington Abbey carpenter has a bit of work cut out providing some fencing round peoples land.

Alexander

Alexander Court

Re: Tonglington Abbey & St. Renock Quay Kato N Gauge Unitrack Layouts

Postby Alexander Court » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 am

A few updates. Firstly, my grandmother passed away on Wednesday after a 15 month battle with leukaemia, she was stubborn til the end, may she rest in peace. Secondly, its the start of summer/busy season at work so I'll be lucky to find time to even lurk on here, desperately need to finishing fencing and post an update, I 'm actually 75% done. Thirdly and finally, if my order ever arrives from Liverpool, I'll hopefully start my next layout section over Easter holidays, a continuous run with a way to connect to Tonglington Abbey, I'll finally be modelling St. Renock Quay and hope to get at least most of the trackwork and basic scenery done before Easter holidays are over (Sid is taking the kiddies to her Mother's for a week on good Friday if all goes to plan).

Here's my plan, I'll explain more soon I hope:
received_337378393803253.jpeg
St. Renock Quay
received_337378393803253.jpeg (16.93 KiB) Viewed 423 times

Thanks,
Alexander.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss, it can come pretty hard when you are busy at work and you need time to greive. When you get back to normal can you update us with the Hattons Royal Mail DPD saga.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:36 am

Bufferstop wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss, it can come pretty hard when you are busy at work and you need time to greive. When you get back to normal can you update us with the Hattons Royal Mail DPD saga.

Thank you for your kind words, I almost let myself accept what happened today, something, a song called 'Cancer' by My Chemical Romance which I've listened to a lot lately while listening to their album 'The Black Parade' (sort of a concept album cabaret about death and carrying on in the face of loss), made me tap into my emotions and I almost cried. I've become quite good at burying my feelings, unhealthy as it is, by just not giving things 'air time' as it were inside my head, letting me participate as normal in everyday life and work. Sid is away with the girls this week though and I have been working on my new layout, I don't know if it is real therapy or a distraction, sadly I am not mentally capable of distinguishing between the two.
Here is a photo of some of my Liverpudlian order:

And here is the early work of sorting out my trackbed:

As you can see it roughly matches up to my plan, to be honest I dunno what else to say right now,however I am much past this stage and look forward to being able to post my progress.

Alexander

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed May 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Time for another update, This one is just filler I suppose, its photos of building up the card frame:

I'll try post the next lot shortly.

Alexander

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 pm

Last update for this moment, I've pics to go through and resize. These pics start out with filling my card formed contours with newspaper to build up support for underneath the surface, I used cheap wood glue/pva from Dealz(I think) for this. The round card island is where I will install a ringfort.

And here it is with the top covering of newspaper going on:

Then I painted the colours of basic ground cover:

And then I filled the basin of the Quay with PVA to level it out (but used too much, and thus ran out of glue and ended up with a pond of PVA that wouldn't dry. I remedied this by sticking a news paper ontop of it eventually and painting the colour I wanted my water to be ontop. I polyfillered the road and quay surfaces and placed my station platform down as well to set in place on top of the filler:

That's all for now, Thanks,
Alexander.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu May 02, 2019 2:04 pm

Update time again, trying to play catch up to get the thread up to date. I bought some 00 stone sheets and an N gauge peco bridge side kit and had a go at painting both to be more realistic, here are the results (the first two photos showing the original colour of the sheet):

This last shot shows the bridge sides and two pieces already cut for under the bridge:

I then turned my attention to the beachside station, I had placed kestrel platform pieces in the right location ontop of the filler, but not realising how thick the filler was and how soft it was, the platform set a matchstick height too low to allow the station building to attach properly, then I had an Idea, I'd make the platform look like it was a timber construction, it'd end up wider than the kestrel platform (ready for the holiday traffic passengers and allowing some goods handling) and this would allow me to create a matching timber built fence to keep the passengers shielded from storms and windblown sands, and at the shorter side of the platform I made the fence look much more weatherworn and there is a gap in it where there will be a path down to the beach then.

Next up is installing the quayside walling.

Alexander

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu May 02, 2019 2:23 pm

So, Quayside walling...

I had the walls painted and I glued them in place (with a lot of difficulty) and helped prop them up and conceal joins with painted matchsticks. However, the join between the quayside wall and the quayside of itself didn't go as smoothly as planned. I had to fill in the gap with hot glue first and then top up the holes with ballast between the road and wall and I topped the walls with a wooden plankway to hide the roughness of the polyfiller/glue/wall join. This in turn however led to ballast chippings falling into my setting water surface and getting stuck and ruining how I had it in the first few shots here, but I suppose water is never clean in a harbour? I'm just going to paint a few more layers of pva onto the water paint surface to try and add a little depth/shine but the current layer still isn't dry, I assume its due to the very first layer not being set before I covered it, oh well I will persevere.

Stormy out so the boats are in:

Then I decided to tackle the bridge deck, the curvature of the track and the straightness of the bridge sides limited me in how I could model the bridge and it has ended up quite wide, but I'm not too fussed. I had to trim the two pieces on the inside and join them to get the right length. Its not mounted smoothly to all the ground cover so I will have to patch up/obscure that and I'll have to try and get the gap between the ground and the track in some places reduced. I used coffee stirrers as representation of underneath supports:

A quick top down view:

Alexander

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu May 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Final update for now, I've made no more progress than this. I've built and painted a terraced row of houses by Kestrel based on the houses along the quay in Portmagee, the other side of the mountains across the other side of the bay here. I have a shop to build that I'm now thinking I might do as a Post Office, and there's a pub I'm thinking of doing as 'The Fisherman's Bar' in Portmagee. I want to get the terraced shop row from kestrel to model 'The Moorings' and the little tourist shop i got my Blue and Green wooden boats from:

A view of the rear:

Anyways, I decided to make sure all my rails were clean and had a little running session:

And in the drying glue of the water in the Quayside the ghostly face of St. Renock did appear....

That's all for now, thanks for visiting.

Aexander

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri May 03, 2019 9:21 pm

That's coming along well. I like the use of corrugated card for the contours. I knew it must be useful for something! My favourite covering is brown "Kraft" paper, covered with flock and static grass, it doesn't need painting, any scrapes and. chips show up brown. No need to rush around with the touch up brush either, it looks like earth.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”