Cannings Cross

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Cannings Cross

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 pm

There was a time in the UK,especially in Wales where it was rare to be more then five miles away from a railway line. Back in those days (Around the 1880's seemed to be the peak time) one could see the guard on the freight only lines and hitch a lift in the guards van. This used to happen on lines in Wales right up to the mid 1960's in my area as even managers turned a blind eye to help the local people.
There used to be far more passenger lines in Britain. Looking into my area, just within a few miles the two nearest villages had six stations on two seperate railway lines. Hence why there was such an emphasis on passenger trains!

lamby

Postby lamby » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Hey. It has been a little while but a small accident happened which resulted in the signals failing.....

Basically a box in the rafters of the garage fell and landed directly in top of them. No damage to anything other than that but a little upset. Have to replace them now possibly. We shall see.

Joshv8, I have used smooth it to create the beginning of the crossing. Have to tidy it up a little but quite happy with the finish.

Chops, thanks for the kind words! There will be a small oil depot going in, but the emphasis is on the station area. As mountain says where I went to school it was on the main line between Bristol and London and seeing class 43s daily going up and down was always cool to see.

lamby

Postby lamby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm

Good evening.

So it has been quite a while since my last up date. We have recently moved house so everything got put on hold, but for the first time proper since the move I have managed a day in the new garage. I had to make sure all the current installed motors were still working and everything was fine. Have installed another 3 now and fully wired 1 up so now have 4 fully working. Since I have now run out of choc block I decided to work on a little ballasting around the station area as can be seen below.

So my aim is to be back out in the garage again tomorrow to do a little more. I have also finished the station building but a little more modifying is required for it to sit on the platform correctly.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Looking good already. :) Ballast always does bed the track in nice.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:34 am

Hi
That's looking good there Lamby, it's amazing the difference ballasting makes it helps to pull the model together. I found with my own layout that ballasting made it seem like a unit rather than separate pieces placed around some track.
I'm watching with interest.

Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:29 pm

New looking dremel box and instructions... was that a Christmas present :lol:

lamby

Postby lamby » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks for the comments. I am not 100% satisfied with the ballast but I can tidy that once it has dried fully.

Dave, I have had the dremel a little while, best tool I have ever bought!!

So have managed another afternoon on the layout. Managed to install a couple of extra magnets for my kadees:

They are positioned at the edge of the board under the track. Tested and working ok. Just a couple more sets to install now.

Have also completed a little more on the road;

Having moved this now in a van the plaster seems to hold up well on the foam so have continued with the plan. May regret it when moving it in the future though.

Have also managed to install a few more of the wills point motors;

And then some token gratuitous shots;

I also managed to fix a couple of LEDs on my panel where I had positive and negative back to front, so all in all a fairly productive day.

lamby

Postby lamby » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Hello Chaps,

I want to get some Wills wall sheets, specifically the course stone ones for the station area but not able to find out if it stone effect on both sides or just the one side and smooth the other. Just so I know how much I need to get basically.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:55 pm

lamby wrote:Hello Chaps,

I want to get some Wills wall sheets, specifically the course stone ones for the station area but not able to find out if it stone effect on both sides or just the one side and smooth the other. Just so I know how much I need to get basically.

Wills sheets are 2mm thick, very small and are only embellished with the pattern on one side.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

lamby

Postby lamby » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Brilliant, thanks for that timbersurf. I did think that was the case but thought I would double check.

lamby

Postby lamby » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Evening All,

So it has been a long time coming but a very brief update. Should really have carried on with motors but really did not feel up for it today so been playing with some grasses and building the pavements for around the station area.

Still a fair bit to do on the grass parts as only really testing how the stuff works but seems very straight forward. Need to finish where the roads are going to end as well so all areas are sorted.

heda

Postby heda » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 am

Just found this layout and liking it although not sure if the vice fits in with the scenics.
How are you getting on with the Kadee's they don't seem to be mentioned a lot on here. I'm fitting them and so far although still really in the testing stage finding the far superior to the standard hornby couplings not only in looks but especially in use,.
Dave

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Great backstory and really excellent track plan.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

lamby

Postby lamby » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:50 pm

Lol, forgot I left the vice there. Need to find a permanent home for it.

Heda, I haven’t done a great deal more with the Kadees for a while. I have them setup on my 37, 08 and tankers, but from what I have seen so far have to agree far better than the Hornby equivalent. Have 2 sets of magnets setup so far on the branchline. 1 set towards the end of the platform and the second set halfway around the outer most curve so that I can start the shunting fun and games. Not got that far as yet due to needing to finish off the level crossing so access to the inner sidings is possible again.

Chops, thanks for the kind words!,

lamby

Postby lamby » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 pm

Evening,

Another brief update of some progress this weekend.

Next things to complete are the wiring of point motors and signals. Have had some Perspex arrive this week to replace the ropey panels I attempted before.

Also need to decide how road will finish for both the oil refinery area and the TMD area.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”