Wandle Park

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BrightonMan

Re: Wandle Park

Postby BrightonMan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:32 am

Been playing around with the backscene using the cut & paste method. I'm using images found on the internet - resized, printed & cut out. The trees are a free download from Wordsworth Models. It's quite tricky getting the colours and perspectives to match up, and a bit of jigging of the images is still needed to get this right I think. The factory yard is a piece of thick card covered with scalescenes concrete floor sheets.
In case your wondering why I'm spending so much time on the scenics when the track hasn't yet been laid, the reason is purely financial. I want to fit the point motors at the same time as I lay the track, so it will have to wait until I can afford them. Being a gardener, January is not my most lucrative time of year!
Backscene 001 small.jpg

Backscene 002 small.jpg

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Coming along nicely. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Made a start on detailing the factory interior this weekend. The shelves are 2mm card & cocktail sticks, and the stuff on them are bits and pieces from an Airfix Cromwell tank kit that I won in a raffle. Two more floors to do then I can install the lighting, fit the back and finish the roof.
Warehouse Interior 001 small.jpg

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 am

Fantastic job of repurposing the tank! The scene looks spot on.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:07 pm

joshv8 wrote:Fantastic job of repurposing the tank! The scene looks spot on.

Thanks. I've had that tank kit sitting around for ages. I have no interest in military models and was on the verge of taking it to a charity shop, then I thought hang on, there's lots of mechanical looking bits in there, perfect for random stuff in the factory. There's a use for everything - eventually (at least that's what I tell my partner when she's moaning about all my clutter! :lol: )

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 pm

In case your wondering why I'm spending so much time on the scenics when the track hasn't yet been laid, the reason is purely financial. I want to fit the point motors at the same time as I lay the track, so it will have to wait until I can afford them.

I just thought you were being logical, the scenery predated the railway, so you at least get an outline of the scenery before you lay track.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Bufferstop wrote:so you at least get an outline of the scenery before you lay track.

All my buildings and scenery are planned out already with some precision as having such a small area to work with there won't be much room for adjustment once the track is down. Speaking of which, I passed a bit of a milestone today - I ran a train almost the full length of the layout. The track is only temporarily pinned in place to test the curves and clearances, but it's great to have something moving at last, spurs you on! The Terrier had the honour of hauling the first train.
First Run 001 small.jpg
First Run 003 small.jpg
First Run 004 small.jpg
First Run 005 small.jpg

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:34 pm

A great choice of locomotive to pull the inaugural train.
It's amazing the boost you get from that first train. The pieces start to call into place.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:17 am

Dublo wrote:A great choice of locomotive to pull the inaugural train.
It's amazing the boost you get from that first train. The pieces start to call into place.

Couldnt have said it better myself. And its shaping up to be quite an awesome layout, especially with the tall industrial building.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:15 pm

joshv8 wrote:And its shaping up to be quite an awesome layout

Thank you

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:23 pm

More progress on the layout. The track is now in its final position, although still only lightly pinned down as I still have some more holes to drill for the electrics. It's also now on a cork base. I've done away with the double-slip as it would have served no real purpose and created a lot more wiring, and as it was a freebie anyway I'm not worried about not using it. I've replaced it with a R/H point leading to the industrial siding. The track layout at the station has changed slightly as well with the addition of a short shunting spur.
New Bridge 007 small.jpg
New Bridge 009 small.jpg

The main thing I've been working on in the last few days is this bridge, which is a modified Scalescenes kit. This will form the scenic break at the 'Croydon' end of the layout, with the double-track going to the fiddleyard and the other track the industrial siding (although what industry it will serve has yet to be decided!). The buildings on the bridge are a free download from Kingsway.
New Bridge 006 small.jpg
New Bridge 010 small.jpg

The next big job on the list is to start on the control panel.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:28 am

Hi Brighton
That's a nice seamless joint you've created between the bridge and backscene. I'm watching for future developments with interest.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 pm

The factory yard has now acquired a wall and gateway, and the stream is in place. For this I made up a box with an open end, painted the bottom and then applied many layers of varnish (leaving 24 hours to dry between layers...days and days to finish!). Then the box was fitted into the hole in the baseboard. I am not that happy with the change in colour between the varnish and the backscene, it seems too light to me. I did try a watered-down black colour which I thought may have been a better match, but ended up with a good representation of an oil slick. Being thoroughly sick of the smell of varnish, it can stay as it is for now.
WP River 012 small.jpg
WP River 009 small.jpg
WP River 011 small.jpg

Also made a start on wiring up the point motors.
WP River 005 small.jpg

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Blending the road into the backscene was a great bit of modelling. Some might say, "repeating the trick with water is just showing off". Nice work.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:08 pm

If you go down to the woods today...you'll find them a bit flat. Retaining wall and backscene behind the station are now in place, coping stones still need fitting to the wall. The lighter brickwork at the foot of the wall is the start of the platform framework. The tree backscene is a free download from Wordsworth Models, hacked about a bit!
WP Woods 002 small.jpg
WP Woods 001 small.jpg

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”