Wandle Park

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
brammie

Re: Wandle Park

Postby brammie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:55 am

Most interesting Brightonman; some clever ideas and good skills. Best of luck with your venture.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Work in progress on the main factory building, a Scalescenes kit.
Factory small.jpg

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:37 pm

The basic back-scene is now up. This is the Gaugemaster Large Sky, which I'm using as the background onto which other back-scene elements will be positioned to blend in with the scenics. The factory building (which is only two walls at the moment!) will be joined by low-relief versions of the same kit, with the electric trunking being disguised as a chimney. I had thought of bringing the back-scene forward to run in front of the trunking but that would have meant losing an inch of width, and as space is very limited anyway I decided against this. The hole in the baseboard next to the small store will be a culverted stream (the River Wandle)
Class 5 Eastbourne 008 small.jpg
Class 5 Eastbourne 010 small.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:46 pm

It gives a nice height to the layout.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:55 pm

I agree, keep every bit of space you can! And disguising the trunking as a chimney is a very clever idea. Coming along well!

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Progress has been painfully slow of late due to other commitments. I did treat myself to a couple of early Christmas presents though, a second-hand Dapol Terrier and a Simply Southern Grampus wagon.
Terrier & Grampus 001 small.jpg

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Looks like a great Christmas gift to me! Those terriers have a lot of character. Perhaps Im a little crazy but I find the design and symmetry of some engines almost a work of art.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 pm

joshv8 wrote:Looks like a great Christmas gift to me! Those terriers have a lot of character. Perhaps Im a little crazy but I find the design and symmetry of some engines almost a work of art.

Nothing crazy about that, I totally agree. Oh for the days when things were built to be beautiful as well as functional.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:51 pm

I was very lucky to receive a Christmas present of sorts from a railway modelling cousin who is changing from 00 to Gauge 1, and very kindly let me have some unused track & points that he no longer has a use for. This included a 3-way and a double slip, so I have been redesigning my track plan to fit these in and this is what I've come up with. Certainly adds to the operating potential. The photos show part of the new track layout roughly laid out.
Wandle Park Small.jpg

Track 001 small.jpg

Track 002 small.jpg

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:27 am

Lovely work with that 3 way! You did score well on that giveaway.
I see guage 1 is becoming quite popular especially with guys recreating the TV series thomas locos now research has been put in place for what parts were used and 3d printed pieces are available.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:03 pm

I love the sheer size of Gauge 1. It's a rich man's game though- big gardens & big wallets :roll: My cousin's not short of a bob or two as you probably guessed!

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Haha not at all short. To be honest I find OO gauge expensive enough. Lots of avenues to produce good looking railways cost effectively but the cost of some of the locos and stock get awfully high.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:16 pm

It's always been an expensive hobby, but the prices do seem to be getting out of hand recently. But thankfully there is a good second-hand market for 00 gauge out there.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Finally got round to finishing the Scalescenes small goods shed, which will be the oil store for the factory. There are some weathered oil barrels inside - I should have put them nearer the door as they are practically invisible with the roof on! Oh well...
Oil Store 002 small.jpg

Oil Store 001 small.jpg

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm

Those scalescenes pieces sure do look the part. We all love seeing brick and wood textures but I think in reality if you could shrink a brick or wood building down to OO gauge the definition wouldn't be that prominant. I think thats where scalescenes does such a positive job with good colours and weathering.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”