Wandle Park

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BrightonMan

Wandle Park

Postby BrightonMan » Thu May 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi all. My first post on this thread, as the layout is sort of underway (although not much has been done lately due to being very busy at work). The pics show the final track plan which I have arrived at after much thought, and the station building which is nearing completion. Track laying will begin in earnest soon!
Station Building small.jpg
AAA Wandle Park A1.jpg

Ex-Pat

Re: Wandle Park

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu May 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Very refreshing to see signalling planned from the outset!

What gauge/era/area are you? (The building architecture reminds me very slightly of another layout on this forum.)

Dc or DCC?

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Fri May 25, 2018 1:07 am

Hi Ex Pat. 00 gauge DC. The layout is an imaginary station on the West Croydon - Wimbledon line, set in the late '50s/early '60s. I chose this as I have fond memories of this area as a child, and also I love the Southern Region of BR! Also I have very little space for a layout and I was determined to have a through station rather than the obvious Terminus/Fiddle yard set up (which would fit in the space I have), but would not be very realistic for a South London based layout as the LBSCR had very few branch lines. So I came up with idea of inventing a station on an existing line which would allow a regular passenger service served by EMU's plus an extensive freight service to all the facilities on the line. That's the plan!

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Big change of plan here. I have spent weeks scratching my head over the curved fiddle-yard, and failed to come up with a solution that would make it work. The problem is the tightness of the curves involved. So, after much thought I have decided to totally change the plan to an end to end design and model a freight-only yard, serving various businesses (see layout plan below). This fits well with my West Croydon-Wimbledon theme as the line had many private sidings along it's route, as can be seen in the track diagram below. It also gives much more scope for operation as, to be honest, the original plan would have been quite lacking in that department.

WandlePark Yard photo.jpg

Maps 2.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:05 am

I like the factory lines on the right. They look just right with the buildings. :)
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:39 pm

I really like that final track plan. Definitely a winner.

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 am

To American eyes, a most remarkable track plan. Such are quite rare in the USA. Signal station is quite a remarkable piece, down to the faded green doors. I can almost hear them creak!
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Work finally begins on Wandle park. I have reverted to the station plan due to receiving a second-hand Hornby 2-Bil Emu for my birthday last month, totally unexpected. I've tweaked the plan slightly with the addition of a coal siding to add operational interest.
.Wandle Park AAA Code 75 Tagged.jpg

The station area
Wandle Park Layout 002.jpg

'West Croydon' fiddle-yard
Wandle Park Layout 003.jpg

'Wimbledon' fiddle-yard.
Wandle Park Layout 005.jpg

A new addition is this Hornby E2 I picked up at Uckfield show for the princely sum of £24.00. This loco will have the dubious honour of being the guinea pig for my first attempt at re-painting & re-numbering :wink:
Wandle Park Layout 007.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Those were lovely models in their day. They also seem to be used as Thomas I believe.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 pm

I often find that I need to tweak the trackplan once I start laying it.

Looks like a nice layout in the making though 8)

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Mountain wrote:Those were lovely models in their day. They also seem to be used as Thomas I believe.

Yes they are the same basic model as Thomas. I'm not sure whether Hornby released the LBSC first and then used it as the basis for Thomas or visa versa? This one is a lovely smooth runner for it's age, although it is quite noisy compared to modern models.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 pm

As Thomas it was one of the first Hornby 0-6-0s I encountered with jointed rods, but on the downside it was the first I'd encountered with traction tyres.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 pm

BrightonMan wrote:
Mountain wrote:Those were lovely models in their day. They also seem to be used as Thomas I believe.

Yes they are the same basic model as Thomas. I'm not sure whether Hornby released the LBSC first and then used it as the basis for Thomas or visa versa? This one is a lovely smooth runner for it's age, although it is quite noisy compared to modern models.

Hornby leased the LBSCR loco quite a few years before they entered into the Thomas range. It was either in 1978 or 1979 that Hornby introduced the LBSCR loco and it had an X03/X04 type motor. Underneath it was similar to the older pannier tanks (Number 8751) and jinty etc.
Thomas didn't come out with Hornby until 1983, and then it had a different face to the later Thomas and like Bufferstop said, it was one of the first to use the SSPP chassis (Super strong pulling power) which had split con rods and traction tyres on the central pair of wheels. The rearmost pair of wheels were sprung.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 pm

BrightonMan wrote:A new addition is this Hornby E2 I picked up at Uckfield show for the princely sum of £24.00. This loco will have the dubious honour of being the guinea pig for my first attempt at re-painting & re-numbering :wink:Wandle Park Layout 007.jpg

These are an extremely easy repaint if SR Black is what you want. This is the same tank: I repaired the body, gave it some additional detail and repainted it a couple of years back. The model sits a little too high, but it's tolerable [just].

Image034 by Anthony Richards, on Flickr

Image039 by Anthony Richards, on Flickr

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Very nice, Lysander. Mine will be BR rather than SR black, glad to hear it's not a difficult job.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”