A touch of Scotch - N gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
barney121e

A touch of Scotch - N gauge layout

Postby barney121e » Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am

Having had a few false starts have finally come up with a plan that will work for me. It will be DCC with code 55 track.

blueplanlc.jpg

Have marked on the station building, signal box and goods or loco shed. Also marked for a level crossing. I have a list of wants for the layout.

1. Station buildings based on the Port Road structures of south west Scotland. Have plans for them so some scratchbuilding will be fun.
2. A level crossing. Would be great to have a working one, so if anyone can suggest one that would be great, or if not just lights flashing would be fine.
3. Upto date signalling, and working. Again any suggestions most welcome. I know Digirains and Megapoints do something but thought I would ask if anyone else does anything.
4. Town scene will be card, have some Scalescenes and Smart Models building to make. Especially want a church, school and a pub. Then some shops and houses. If anyone knows of another card building supplier or maybe something else I should look at, would be much appreciated.
5. Some sort of terrain both sides to run track off to fiddle yard. Possibly on the left an embankment and then tunnels or bridges on the right.
6. Will be DCC so trying to keep electrics as simple as possible. Need a few more SL-E395f points for fiddle yard, but found out they are been replaced with universal ones. Not sure why they have done that, but hopefully can get my hands on the electrofrog ones somewhere.
Although will be a flat layout I hope to add some height interest with tunnels etc. As my first proper layout I thought best to keep it simple. If I have missed anything you think I should think about please let me know.

Dave

TimberSurf

Re: A touch of Scotch - N gauge layout

Postby TimberSurf » Mon May 21, 2018 1:12 pm

2. I am developing an all singing and dancing barrier level crossing Video so far

4. Here is a starting point for research into other suppliers (and lots of other useful links)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm

TimberSurf wrote:2. I am developing an all singing and dancing barrier level crossing Video so far

4. Here is a starting point for research into other suppliers (and lots of other useful links)

Liking the level crossing idea, will keep watching to see how it develops. My wiring prowess is poor, so the simpler the better. Thanks for the list of suppliers, a couple on the list I had forgotten but will look at them all and move on from there.

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Fri May 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Have revised plan slightly to help things flow better. Have been busy tidying train room so I know where everything is before I start. Also waiting on a curved point. Does anyone have any comments about the positioning of the signal box?

blueplanf.jpg

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”