Great Central in and around Leicester

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
burnie

Great Central in and around Leicester

Postby burnie » Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 am

Hi all, just a short introduction to my build, which is around 18 months in, the oval will have a small fiddle yard at one end, scenic countryside section of the area just to the north of the old Whetstone station and on the opposite side Leicester Central station. Most of the track is laid, just the parcels/turntable area in the station to lay and the fiddle yards to finish. Station platform has been built as have some scratch built buildings, but not happy with my first attempts, so re building in progress. Rolling stock is RTR apart from one V2 I built from a kit on a scratch built chassis some years ago, that still needs painting.
ImageDSC02373 by tigerburnie, on Flickr

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Great Central in and around Leicester

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 am

I like what I see so far, surely we're allowed more than that though!? :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri May 04, 2018 10:06 am

Very good. I'd love to see some of those scratch builds.
Regards
Rob

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 am

A moody shot that makes me want to see so much more. Always like a scratch build so cough up some of those pics too. :wink:

Paul

burnie

Postby burnie » Fri May 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Station under construction
Last edited by burnie on Sat May 05, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

burnie

Postby burnie » Fri May 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Earlier shot of the station with the V2 in the sidings
Last edited by burnie on Sat May 05, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

burnie

Postby burnie » Fri May 04, 2018 2:11 pm

ImageBM1K6759 by tigerburnie, on Flickr
In the process of building the canopies from modified Wills kits, not an exact replica, but close enough for me for now, the platform will be drilled so the canopy posts will sit in them and will be removable for maintenance work.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri May 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Nice to see a new oo gauge layout under development, here on
the forum. It's all looking good so far.

Looking forward to seeing the layout develop.

Jim.

burnie

Postby burnie » Fri May 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks Jim, I'm not long retired, so in between Grandad duties, part time taxi driver for she who used to use buses when I was at work, gardening, fishing and watching rugby and wildlife photography(which includes the old clamber up a Munroe mountain), the progress is slowish. I have a working timetable for 1953 onwards to base my running on, but at present severely lacking rolling stock(I can't quite believe the prices of some of the stuff).
Fair to say my first attempts at the buildings is a long way from acceptable, but were a starting point, current project is a 33 inch long 13 arch viaduct.
ImageDSC02396 by tigerburnie, on Flickr
Shocking quality picture, but just to give you an idea, made from balsa wood, this will have engineers blue brick card attached and then weathered.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat May 05, 2018 10:50 am

Welcome to the Forum Burnie - I too like to see 00 gauge, and particularly prototype-based.

The yellow flecking on the embankment sides really catches the eye, and I can just imagine I'm driving along the M1 north of Lutterworth.

Is the V2 a Nu-Cast kit?

Any chance of a track plan and overall dimensions please?

burnie

Postby burnie » Sat May 05, 2018 10:30 pm

I seem to have deleted my track plan of the station, sure I will have a copy somewhere, basically it's an oval twin track 20 feet long by 11 feet wide, the station is approx. 11 feet by 3 feet.
ImageDSC02400 by tigerburnie, on Flickr
This is looking from the southern end, on the left are three down lines and a siding and on the right are three up lines and there will be parcels area siding and track to a turntable area. The station was an island of an "H" section looking from above, with platforms 1&2 in the north centre end, then 3&4 at the south, with platform 5 being the down line and 6 the up line.
http://www.gcrleicester.info/html/leice ... tral1.html This site has some photos that I am using as a prompter to my ailing memories.

burnie

Postby burnie » Sat May 05, 2018 11:40 pm

map2.gif
map2.gif (105.08 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Original track plan of the station, I have had to invoke a bit of modelers licence and condensed the overall length a bit, the middle of the platform bearing the brunt of this shortening.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Have you tried the SIAM 1957 Leicester Central simulation? - http://www.siam.co.uk/conc5/index.php/p ... -products/

burnie

Postby burnie » Sun May 06, 2018 9:17 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Have you tried the SIAM 1957 Leicester Central simulation? - http://www.siam.co.uk/conc5/index.php/p ... -products/

That looks interesting, thanks

burnie

Postby burnie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 am

Just a post to let you know I'm still here, but with the heat of the summer, no modelling done for a while, some more station canopies ordered to progress that and I've started looking for rolling stock additions too. Did run all the loco's round the other week when the grand children came for a look, as I laid the track in the heat of summer, there's been no problem with rail expansion during the heat wave, I just get some rather large gaps when it cools down in the winter time lol.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”