New / Old - Little Weldon

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dublo

Re: New / Old

Postby Dublo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:56 am

Hi
Still experimenting with the wreaths, haven't created anything that I am truly happy with yet. I've been trying to work off a base. At the moment I am looking for 2mm rubber grommets to try next.

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:20 am

Yikes, 2 mm grommets. My eyes are already burning.

Not so long ago, I was trying to model a 1/87th scale Wooly Mammoth. Tried various things- such as dog fur, scale thatch, nothing looked right. I got a satisfactory result by rolling an African elephant, covered in super glue, in sawdust and painting it gray. Fairly decent rendition.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Hello all
As we are now into 2019 I thought I would do a little bit of time travel back to 1959. By having a look in the "new" catalogue.
th.jpeg
th.jpeg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 617 times

We are told that this publication has "48 picture packed pages of thrilling railway subjects in full colour giving a glamorous story of the railway of Britain."
It features chapters called.
What makes a locomotive go
Famous named trains on the East Coast route.
Trains on the Southern
Diesels are here
Signalling for speed and safety
How engines are turned
The Royal Mail

The Meccano factory has been really busy during the previous year, the results are on display here.

" Included too are details of Hornby Dublo NEW 2- rail track, NEW locomotives and train sets, NEW Rolling stock. NEW kits for stations, engine shed and goods depots "

The first plastic bodied locomotives appear in the range here the southern R1 and the Class 20 diesel, the first Mainline diesel in the range.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:01 pm

IMG_20190102_122641.jpg

The 2 rail version of this locomotive was available in set no 2030 this set included. Five Super Detailed wagons.
16 ton Mineral wagon
6 ton Refrigerated van WR
20 ton Bulk Grain wagon
12 ton Vented van
Goods Brake Van LMR

IMG_20190102_122446.jpg
IMG_20190102_122716.jpg
IMG_20190102_122530.jpg

The three rail version was only available separately.

The 1959 Hornby Book of trains is considered by many collectors to be the finest catalogue that Meccano produced.
An entire new range of products in a year.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:53 pm

Thats some very interesting history! Thanks for sharing.

I imagine the cosmetics of going to a more prototypical 2 track system being a huge deal at the time.

Not to mention the move to detailing the plastic molding would have offered. How was the idea accepted at the time of making the engines from plastic? Id imagine positive but then again how often as people we dont like change.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 pm

Triang had been turning out plastic bodied locos for some years, but the quality of the Hornby mouldings was a whole new generation in terms of sharpness of detail. They outsourced the production of the tools to BIP (British Industrial Plastics) a company local to me at the time. Some years later I heard the inside story from them, they sweat blood to produce those moulds to the detail Meccano were asking for. Someone in the BIP board was a Hornby fan and thought this would be the start of a massive turn around in the fortunes of Hornby, not to mention themselves. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way.
IIRC the two rail class twenty was a bit of a dog to begin with, they just couldn't get the traction out of it that they achieved in three rail. There was talk at one stage of getting a chassis made by the French company who already had several successful BoBo mechanisms, but in the end I think they just fitted rubber tyres on one axle, got the traction but lumbered it with pick up problems.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dublo

Re: New / Old - Little Weldon

Postby Dublo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 am

Hello all
Just a quick update. As some of you know my layout finally has a name. Little Weldon this is an amalgamation / anagram of new and old. The main station is now Weldon and the other has become Little Weldon. Haven't achieved much in the way of modelling over Christmas but had a couple of running sessions.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am

You know things are going well when the layout has a proper name.
Keep on posting photos.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:23 am

What a good name! Its not easy coming up with a name and the fact you did it as an anagram is even more fascinating. I love it!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:49 am

Seeing this layout takes me back to my childhood when my mate had a big Hornby Dublo layout with all the big locomotives and seemingly endless amounts of the HD coaches and wagons, I was so envious as I had a comparably small layout with only two locomotives (the difference was that his Dad was into model railways, my dad was a confirmed petrolhead!). I still consider the later series HD coaches with the plastic moulded roofs yet retaining the tinplate sides to be some of the best ever made.
Great work blending the three rail track into a scenic setting.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 am

Hello all
I have been painting figures in order to bring life to Little Weldon. The population at the moment stands at 60. These are all civilians, I have yet to introduce any railway staff. So now the High Street looks happier and busy, Weldon station has also started to gain some passengers. Little Weldon has had passengers from the start these being the cast metal Dinky Toys characters.
IMG_20190113_081452.jpg
IMG_20190113_081519.jpg

I have also constructed both the Superquick Coaling stage and Ash plant because both of these structures are large I am still trying to determine where they should be placed. Probably towards the rear of the layout as not to obscure the locomotive fleet. I shall possibly turn the engine shed at Weldon North signal box into a Diesel stabling point.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 am

Its amazing what a difference some people make! Im not sure about these trains running themselves without railway staff though. You never know what myschief will befall Little Weldon :o

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 am

Little Weldon -- A style and class of its own. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

ErlestokeManor7812

Postby ErlestokeManor7812 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:25 pm

What a lovely layout, the addition of figures really sets it off , so nice to see something different to the normal modern day layouts, nice to see some of the older stuff being showcased so well.

Keep up the good work!

Kenny

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 am

Hello all
Thank you all for the kind words, it is much appreciated. I have enjoyed both the construction and running of Little Weldon this is the first time that I have ever managed to produce a layout of this standard. I am really pleased with the way it has turned out. Unfortunately I didn't quite have enough space to incorporate all of my ideas. There isn't any space for an extension so Little Weldon will remain as it is.
The earlier layouts I constructed out of Hornby Dublo were non scenic. The other day I found a few prints of one of those layouts. When I get the chance I will scan them and post them.
I have now decided on how I want the locomotive yard to look so work will hopefully start on that over the next couple of weeks.
IMG_20181205_055406_kindlephoto-923311149.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190113_081519_kindlephoto-922908458.jpg
IMG_20181227_110846_kindlephoto-923091465.jpg
IMG_20181227_104654_kindlephoto-923205396.jpg

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”